Dreamworld Ghost town

pushbutton

I was at Dreamworld yesterday afternoon. Admittedly the weather wasn't the absolute best, but it was not actually raining most of the time I was there so I don't think that fully accounts for how quiet it was.

I was with 1 other person, and looking around as we walked through most areas of the park I literally couldn't see anyone else!

On a more positive note, I was talked into trying a ride I had never dared try before - Tower Of Terror 2 (I'd never tried it when it was just Tower of Terror either), and I have to say I was quite impressed. In fact TOT2 is now my new favourite ride at Dreamworld!

I went to whitewaterworld once in june with those kind of forecasts except it actually did rain (poured in fact almost the whole time) and there was literally only ONE other family of 3 at the park. Not even joking. Compared to going to wet n wild in that weather there are still waits.

however lately it seems to have improved, went to WWW last week, hydrocoaster had queue to the BOTTOM OF THE STAIRS. Compare that to the wedgie which had no one. Lifeguards are always so happy when someone goes on the wedgie, normally they Hi Five you.

This morning about  9.15am I thought I'd have pancakes for breakfast at The Parkway.

I went into the Lego store, where I was literally the only customer,  only to be told that The Parkway doesn't open until  11am now! 

Disappointing.  I think it needs much more advertising, particularly about the fact they serve breakfast  (or they did) even before Dreamworld opens.

Or perhaps there just wouldn't be enough demand, but I have to say I've never seen any such advertising. 

18 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I went into the Lego store, where I was literally the only customer,  only to be told that The Parkway doesn't open until  11am now! 

That sucks. When I was there I really enjoyed a decent morning coffee and toastie from The Parkway. If I can't get a decent coffee at a theme park I'll be a big ol' grump. 

It's interesting that they'd leave the Lego store open in the morning but not a cafe... I guess the Lego store brings in more revenue? 

27 minutes ago, CaptainLazerGuns said:

That sucks. When I was there I really enjoyed a decent morning coffee and toastie from The Parkway. If I can't get a decent coffee at a theme park I'll be a big ol' grump. 

It's interesting that they'd leave the Lego store open in the morning but not a cafe... I guess the Lego store brings in more revenue? 

Good news is once they do open they do still serve coffee, and pancakes.  I've just had some. A late breakfast, but ah well! 

Pancakes were not freshly made though, so I won't be having them again. 

Pancakes must be the cheapest, fastest, and easiest meal to make.  There's no excuse to not make them fresh! 

2 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

Message them on facebook about how dumb it is. They will pass it onto management for review :)

Or, y'know, they could also post it on a forum that management reads very regularly. You do realise that "we'll pass it onto management for review" is corporate jargon for "k thx bye", right?

@AlexB I'd assume the main coffee shop inside the park is open first thing.

• Like 1

When I got the notification that Richard quoted me, I was like "Oh crap, here comes a hammering", but it was actually a reasonably friendly comment for once, so I just wanted to open my heart to Richard to say thanks for not telling me off ;)

Alrighty then... if the big boys like David read this forum often then I have a message for him. David (or someone with similar power): What's with Dreamworld and 80s music? The first thing I hear whenever I enter the park is either New Sensation, Come On Eileen, Beds are Burning, Never Gonna Give You Up, I wanna dance with somebody or Heaven (Eurogliders). Or something fairly equal to one of those and possibly the occasional 90s song such as Gettin Jiggy with It or Freestyler. There is always so much more 80s hit music played everything else. I would love to hear some Under the Boardwalk or Stand By Me. Now that's soul.

I was there Monday with the kids and it really is a bit depressing these days. Only the major retail shops were open, all the smaller kiosks were shut. I know it’s not the busy season but I feel bad for anyone that travels for a holiday and you walk into this depressing half open theme park. 

On a positive there was next to no wait for the rides (that were open lol). It kinda seems like they’ve given up on trying to get people through the door. Even the dancers doing their show looked sad, imagine dancing for no one. 

Just my little rant.:blink:

I was there in September and some of my favorite attractions were closed but other than that most rides were running fine. I didn't notice how empty the park was until I ventured to the Corroboree side of the park. I enjoy this little walk through area because I love animals, but there were only like two other families around.

However, one of my biggest takeaways from my day there was how enthusiastic and lively the staff were. Compared to Village Roadshow, Dreamworld blew the customer service side of things out of the park. The Lego store employees were spectacular and talkative, each operator was attentive and lively and most people seemed to have a smile on their face. I lost my glasses in the park and lodged it with guest services expecting to never see them again, but I got a call the next day from Dreamworld letting me know I can come and pick them up as they had been found. 

Village Roadshow seemed to be mostly run by teenagers who were more interested in each other (wink wink) than the overall guest experience. I had some standouts (cheers to the dude who was interested in my musical theater background!) but for the most it was pretty flat customer service wise. This could purely be a demographic thing, but I saw a lot more people over 30 at Dreamworld who seemed to have a shared passion for theme parks.

5 hours ago, gumb00t said:

I was there Monday with the kids and it really is a bit depressing these days. Only the major retail shops were open, all the smaller kiosks were shut. I know it’s not the busy season but I feel bad for anyone that travels for a holiday and you walk into this depressing half open theme park. 

On a positive there was next to no wait for the rides (that were open lol). It kinda seems like they’ve given up on trying to get people through the door. Even the dancers doing their show looked sad, imagine dancing for no one. 

Just my little rant.:blink:

Does anyone know if white water world is also half empty like dreamworld.

1 minute ago, Theme Park said:

Does anyone know if white water world is also half empty like dreamworld.

When I went 2 weeks ago whitewaterworld was packed and dreamworld was empty. The hydrocoaster had a queue to the bottom of the stairs. Only ride that wasnt packed was Wedgie.

We went to whitewater world the tuesday of the week after QLD school holidays finished. The park was empty. Hydrocoaster was the only ride to wait and that was only 2 groups in front. We went on every slide at least twice (except wedgie) and were completely buggered climbing stairs all morning with no rest, that we went to dreamworld for lunch and stayed there for the afternoon. Every ride at dreamworld that day was one cycle maximum wait. I had to take one of the kids to the toilet before going on motocoaster and spent 10 mins chatting to the ride operator of hop and hoot who was completely bored cause there were no kids around to ride it haha.

33 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Possibly why numbers have dropped a bit and why the staff may be a little depressed is because the one year anniversary of the tragedy is on the park's door step.

@gumb00t I do have to agree with you about the fact that a lot kiosks being closed would be depressing.    

Oh my gosh! It really is. I didn't even think about that.

It is the off season at the moment, so generally stores will be closed. Plus the weather has been nothing but shit lately so that would've driven people away. 

(EDIT) Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but... https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/no-charges-sought-over-dreamworld-disaster-20171021-p4ywkj.html

Edited by Flynn_Smith