Dreamworld Accident - 1st Anniversary

westical

1 hour ago, westical said:

Doesn't seem that long ago. What the park has planned for today courtesy of their FB - 

Capture.thumb.PNG.dea43665780ba2e709131c9ffb895ea1.PNG

Little surprised there's no memorial on site yet, guess they're waiting until the ride is no longer still standing.

I'd say they wouldn't be allowed to do anything until they get all of the families permission, and when the site is cleared.

25 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Props to Natalie Wolfe there, that was the least garbagey & unbiased piece i've ever read from NewsCorp - there was some actual journalism and dare I say, research, written into that piece.

• Like 3

While it would be great to see a memorial, I do not think Dreamworld needs to hang onto this accident too much - sure, it happened, and it was bad - but they've been able to move on from it since. A plaque, a garden and a small fountain should make for a sound memorial, preferably in a place that doesn't hinder their possibility to expand and add another ride on the site. Something like the memorial garden LPS did for the Ghost Train fire in the 1995 redevelopment is suitable.

Looking back on it now, Dreamworld has done well since what happened and have been able to bounce back. Now, a year on, hopefully this continues.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

A plaque, a garden and a small fountain should make for a sound memorial

I'm not sure a water feature is the best idea for a memorial. It'd be like LPS lighting an eternal flame for the ghost train.

Just had a chance to read the article and I thought it was quite respectful, well written and well researched. there was a lot of fact checking there and for once it was good to read something on News.com without rolling my eyes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Well, to be honest if they screwed up an article regarding an accident which took the lives of 4 people, that would be a PR disaster for News Limited.

In their eyes, it isn't screwed up. its sensationalist, headline grabbing, and it gets clicks. they don't care.

And no, it wouldn't be a PR disaster. Killing 4 people is a PR disaster. Showing pictures of their bodies covered in sheets repeatedly over and over even a year later, and referencing every minor stoppage as a major safety concern, hurting the industry and the region - well.... that's just "reporting the news" isn't it?