White Christmas 2017

pushbutton

Went along last night... 

my review... much the same as FN’s really. It’s a good night, you can’t REALLY complain, but it’s defintely gone a little stale. 

If it was your first time you’d love it, but as a 5th year veteran, it needs an injection of something new to bring the spark back. 

The only difference to last year was the ‘elf dress up’ pop up store, and the Rudolph 4D movie which is literally a made for tv Xmas special I remember watching about 25+ years ago as a kid. Other than that - no new floats, shows, anything. 

They’ve even cut costs by removing an actor out of the gingerbread man costume and literally skewering the costume up the Ass to make it stand up on the float.. 

the “lighting ceremony” of a few years back is sorely missed as it created a real wow moment - nowadays all the lights are already on when you walk in. 

Christmas buffet clearly the highlight. 

6.5/10, with the honey baked ham, great crackling and a great dessert range bringing it up from a 5. 

F059CBB9-9E8A-4DC8-94B0-EC46046F6F7B.jpeg

E3C941EE-AC42-4F3F-AE6C-E9C4FBD7B1E2.jpeg

Edited by Brad2912

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

the “lighting ceremony” of a few years back is sorely missed as it created a real wow moment - nowadays all the lights are already on when you walk in. 

That's interesting...  They did a countdown and lighting with Santa pressing the button the other night at 7pm...

Went to WC last night for the first time in a couple of years and overall it was an enjoyable night. Can confirm that last night they did the turning on the lights at 7pm, and before that none of them were on and it was just some coloured spot lights.

I will start out with saying that it did feel like there was some budget cuts this year, and some elements weren't as dramatic. They didnt have the fairy fly down Main Street to spread her Christmas magic, the turning on the lights was just a button that Santa pushed (Feel like it spoilt it because Santa really has only been seen at the end of the night) and not that large lever that the elves pulled, and there didnt seem to be as much 'snow' this year either. There was also a fault with some of the fairy lights hanging from the roof, so half of them weren't actually working (But that didnt dramatically change anything). And that poor Ginger Bread Man with the pole up his ass, surely they could've just had one extra staff member be in costume, it looked really creepy and awkward (Come on Movie World). Also, the rides had all trains operating, but the lack of staff definitely slowed down processes (Particularly with Scooby, which had one staff member running the whole station).

Positives though. As always it was a magical night and the energy the majority of the staff have is great, especially the elves and characters. There were a few more street entertainers this year too, which was really good to see. Having Santas Village in the western area is really good, but once the crowds really kicked in, the area became very tight and way to busy to move. The music throughout the night was good as always, and the parade was mostly good (except for the points I made earlier). And it was good to see that they have moved the screen so it doesnt block the SE sign

IMG_0907.thumb.jpg.4663259dba979986cb7d08f98818f563.jpg

This year was definitely still enjoyable, but it felt like there were budget cuts and I feel like they need to invest into the event and create some new floats for the parade. Once again I feel like the money invested into Rivals definitely effected this years events at the park, which is a shame. Scrolling through comments on FB for people that went for the first time this year definitely loved it, while re-visitors are giving mixed reviews. But as we know, this event really is all about the kids, and they all seemed to be having a great time and amazed by everything that happened, which is what matters. I personally though, would only give this years event a 6/10.

Edited by themagician

Some background information on "The Abominable Snowmonster" in the current 4D movie showing at Movie World.

http://christmas-specials.wikia.com/wiki/The_Abominable_Snowmonster_of_the_North

giphy.gif

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

Also, the Abominable Snowmonster is actually called "Bumble", and has made an appearance on The Simpsons! 

images-2.jpg

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

Edited by pushbutton