Let's be honest about Topgolf

joz

Top Gold interest - be honest  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you care about Top Golf if it wasn't being built by Village Roadshow next door to Movie World?

• Yes - I'd make visiting a priority no matter who built it
    • Yes - But I probably wouldn't end up getting around to going for ages
    • No - I like theme parks, the only reason I'm following it is because it's being done by a theme park company
    • The fact Village Roadshow is involved is actually putting me off because you know they'll do it on the cheap compared to the overseas ones
    • Don't care about Top Golf, wish they hadn't wasted new coaster money on it

Driving ranges and golf in general is normally seen as a boring old persons sport. Think of it like in high school, the person who would have done Scouts or whatever "social" game was popular at the time whether it be a card game like Magic or Pokemon, or a tabletop like Warhammer or D&D. They would have copped alot of shit for those. In my HS one of the Friday afternoon sports we offered was golf. Only 1 person signed up for that and he copped alot of shit for it too, but the moment the school announced 6 months later that people with X amount of merit point things were going to Aqua Golf out at Penrith, people payed attention. While it may only be across young people and those in the lower socio-economic bracket, there is definitely a stigma.

38 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

Driving ranges and golf in general is normally seen as a boring old persons sport. Think of it like in high school, the person who would have done Scouts or whatever "social" game was popular at the time whether it be a card game like Magic or Pokemon, or a tabletop like Warhammer or D&D. They would have copped alot of shit for those. In my HS one of the Friday afternoon sports we offered was golf. Only 1 person signed up for that and he copped alot of shit for it too, but the moment the school announced 6 months later that people with X amount of merit point things were going to Aqua Golf out at Penrith, people payed attention. While it may only be across young people and those in the lower socio-economic bracket, there is definitely a stigma.

So based on your extensive research and observations at one high school about golf. That's all I needed to know.

• 2 months later...

Okay, so i've seen at least three or four theme park facebook pages post about Top Golf and organising events for the grand opening in mid-2018 - so I need to ask this again - why are enthusiasts all so collectively crazy keen about something that literally has nothing to do with theme parks?

My best guess continues to be that that it's a proximity thing. So because it's next door to a theme park it's just instantly cool, because if it was some sort of interest in the idea itself or the company that's bringing it over, people would've been swarming to Kingpin when it opened (which broadly is the exact kind of product) and working off their churros at Goodlife gyms when Ardent had still owned both.

• Like 2

Well Kingpin has only recently opened in SE QLD, and it’s all the way in Chermside. If it was located closer maybe it would have had the same reaction? In saying that, Kingpin isn’t THAT far removed from AMF. 

Top Golf ticks boxes as it is 

1. Close to the theme parks

2. Close to the tourist centre

3. Far removed from anything else available on the GC or Brisbane 

4. A fairly well known brand for those than have been to the US or have an interest in golf 

5. It’s being marketed well by VTP

18 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

Good marketing and VTP mentioned In the same sentence. 😂

I know right... 

i actually think they have done well with top golf. It’s had a social media presence for a few month already despite being still 4-5 months away. They’ve shown enough to keep people interested. I think they’ve done well. 

The main reason I post about it on my page is mainly because it is part of the VRTP Group. Yes Topgolf is a seperate company, but VR are connected to this.

But also, because I am genuinely excited to go to this. It does look awesome and from what I’ve heard from others who have done this overseas, it is awesome fun.

18 hours ago, Roachie said:

Okay, so i've seen at least three or four theme park facebook pages post about Top Golf and organising events for the grand opening in mid-2018 - so I need to ask this again - why are enthusiasts all so collectively crazy keen about something that literally has nothing to do with theme parks?

My best guess continues to be that that it's a proximity thing. So because it's next door to a theme park it's just instantly cool, because if it was some sort of interest in the idea itself or the company that's bringing it over, people would've been swarming to Kingpin when it opened (which broadly is the exact kind of product) and working off their churros at Goodlife gyms when Ardent had still owned both.

You probably the best person to answer your own question.

Q1 isn't a theme park and you've posted about it.

bbbbbbbbbbbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.JPG.753b32c86f7fe56b06288a80068a526e.JPG

Lego store is only a store outside of a theme park.

st.JPG.4133f9158de1faa379bf39fb5aa4f056.JPG

I find loads of theme park nuts try many different fun things, outside of theme parks.

17 minutes ago, AlexB said:

I tell you - coming out of wet n wild i hate it - its hot, by that time you're usually dry, the car is hot, the air conditioning struggles, you can feel the sunburn on your face as you drive home with the sun still up... coming out of wet n wild and heading over to top golf sounds like a perfect finish to the day... naturally, the venue is air conditioned, cold drinks available, grab some dinner instead of cooking in a hot house, best of all the venue faces east, so the setting sun is blocked by the building, so no 'burn' feeling on an already sunburned skin as you play.

Actually this would be a reason i wouldn't go. Usually the last thing i want to do after spending a day at a theme park - especially a water park, is go straight to another event. I would much prefer to go back to the hotel, take a shower and get changed before heading out again for the night!

Each to their own I guess - but even if it were an early dinner and drinks before heading back to the hotel to crash i could see working (i usually shower and change before i leave the park) - this place is going to do drinks and food, and you don't need to play golf to enjoy it!

4 hours ago, Skeeta said:

You probably the best person to answer your own question.

Q1 isn't a theme park and you've posted about it.

bbbbbbbbbbbbvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.JPG.753b32c86f7fe56b06288a80068a526e.JPG

Lego store is only a store outside of a theme park.

st.JPG.4133f9158de1faa379bf39fb5aa4f056.JPG

I find loads of theme park nuts try many different fun things, outside of theme parks.

I'm also not posting invites to take all my fellow enthusiast friends out to Q1, the Lego Store or Top Golf when it eventually opens.

My reasons for going is it comes across as the "Kingpin" of golf. Public transport to accommodation in Surfers has become much easier with the light rail extension. Will be a stay down the coast for the night after some drunken golf shenanigans with a few friends thing for me. The idea of a normal golf range doesn't really interest me as much as the social and somewhat competitive nature Top Golf brings to the table. Ironically Kingpin doesn't really interest me as much as I can get cheaper games at AMF.

15 hours ago, Roachie said:

I'm also not posting invites to take all my fellow enthusiast friends out to Q1, the Lego Store or Top Golf when it eventually opens.

I still can't find why theme park enthusiast can't do things outside of theme parks together.  Last years PCL event at MW ended at Time Zone and this year it's Top Golf.

Once the theme parks close are we all meant to say our goodbyes and hurry home before we change into werewolfs?

• Like 1

I think it's a genuine question and I don't see anyone saying that theme park fans or pages are wrong for being interested in this.

I do think it's an interesting topic because even other nearby VRTP offerings like Paradise Country, Australian Outback Spectacular, Wet'n'Wild Buggy don't get much mention in this community. Granted Topgolf certainly has more of an appeal to this audience than PC or AOS, but things like WnW Buggy seem like they'd be a fit too. Or the indoor go-kart joint just across the road that has a zipline coaster for that matter.

For what it's worth, the driving range at Victoria Park in Brisbane is modern, licensed, two levels and features (albeit unsophisticated) targets. They don't have the private booths or the technology which are obviously at the core of the social experience of Topgolf but I'd argue the fundamental concept (drinks and whacking balls at things with mates) isn't as novel as it might seem. Topgolf just package it into a very schmick experience. And it's American.

Ignoring theme park fans for a second I do feel like there's a cultural trend at play where Australians visit America once and then return to brag about the things they did and tried before their mates. In the same way that decidedly average US fast food chains like Taco Bell or Carls Jr are taking off here, I feel like Topgolf is riding the current wave of anything American to some extent. That isn't to say it's not a valid reason to be excited about it, but it's undoubtedly part of the bigger picture.

I'm looking forward to it because of how it aligns a number of my personal interests. Quality American food (hopefully), good beers (hopefully) and golf. Despite the proximity and ownership I don't see any inherent theme park connection.

That said it's been covered on Parkz a bit and I certainly plan to do more. If group events were our thing I'd probably be more keen for an afternoon/evening at Topgolf (18+, first round on us, no one's driving home are the rules) than say a day at a park.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

VRTP offerings like Paradise Country, Australian Outback Spectacular, Wet'n'Wild Buggy don't get much mention in this community.

(*outside of Pushbutton's posts)

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

If group events were our thing I'd probably be more keen for an afternoon/evening at Topgolf (18+, first round on us, no one's driving home are the rules) than say a day at a park.

I think if you made it 18+, you'd be left with less of a group, and more of about 4-5 drunkards that DGAF...

But i'm very happy to put up my hand and be one of those drunkards!

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Australian Outback Spectacular

don't get much mention in this community.

Have you read anything by Pushbutton?

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

I do think it's an interesting topic because even other nearby VRTP offerings like Paradise Country, Australian Outback Spectacular, Wet'n'Wild Buggy don't get much mention in this community. Granted Topgolf certainly has more of an appeal to this audience than PC or AOS, but things like WnW Buggy seem like they'd be a fit too. Or the indoor go-kart joint just across the road that has a zipline coaster for that matter.

All the offerings you listed have received plenty of mentions.  (search Buggy in Parkz and see for yourself)

We certainly talk less now about the offerings you listed but we also talk less now about Rivals then a year ago and the same thing will happen a year after TG opens.

• Richard changed the title to Let's be honest about Topgolf

A really cursory search tells me that the total posts talking about Topgolf to date exceeds the total posts about every other non-theme park VRTP offering combined... ever.

Granted it's more physically present than these other attractions and its initial construction got caught up in Rivalsmania, but I think the hype and interest it's garnered from enthusiasts is curiously different from every other non-park attraction before.

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

A really cursory search tells me that the total posts talking about Topgolf to date exceeds the total posts about every other non-theme park VRTP offering combined... ever.

Granted it's more physically present than these other attractions and its initial construction got caught up in Rivalsmania, but I think the hype and interest it's garnered from enthusiasts is curiously different from every other non-park attraction before.

I never said other offerings discussions outshined TG discussions.  All I'm pointing out is as in history shows once it's built we will talk less about it.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

But i'm very happy to put up my hand and be one of those drunkards!

I'm very concerned what a room full of Parkz drunkards would look like.