Let's be honest about Topgolf

joz

Top Gold interest - be honest  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Would you care about Top Golf if it wasn't being built by Village Roadshow next door to Movie World?

• Yes - I'd make visiting a priority no matter who built it
    • Yes - But I probably wouldn't end up getting around to going for ages
    • No - I like theme parks, the only reason I'm following it is because it's being done by a theme park company
    • The fact Village Roadshow is involved is actually putting me off because you know they'll do it on the cheap compared to the overseas ones
    • Don't care about Top Golf, wish they hadn't wasted new coaster money on it

17 minutes ago, elemist said:

I think right now it's not the best place, and yes land availability issues asides would probably do far better closer to surfers. From a tourism point of things, i would find it just a little too far away to go for dinner and a drink. I would however probably try it once for something to do.

^The above pretty much said by everyone when Outback Spectacular made its debut, and yet here we are.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

The above pretty much said by everyone when Outback Spectacular made its debut, and yet here we are.

You have a point - though i think it would also do better being closer to surfers too. It's also more of a one off activity - IE once you've seen the show once your not likely to go again unless the show changes, or your entertaining visitors etc.

TG i see as more of something you might do every couple of months, and maybe more often if you were keen on Golf itself. Also having the bar/restaurant means repeat business too. I doubt many people will drive 25 - 30 minutes from Surfers which is full of good food/drinking establishments just to go to TG. There's also a practicality factor - in surfers you can pretty much walk from anywhere to your hotel after a few drinks - it's expensive to get a 30 minute taxi/uber each way.

As everyone's saying, VRTP are turning the area into a resort. So look at it like its the Florida parks. You have Universals plot of land that encases 2 theme parks, a water park across the road, several hotels, countless restaurants, pubs and clubs AND a cinema. Meanwhile down at Disney: 2 water parks, 3 or 4 theme parks, as many hotels as DW has Turbines, Disney Springs and whatever isn't accessible by Monorail, you can get to by boat. So instead of looking at it like a random item between 2 parks and a movie studio, look at it like Stage 3 in a 5 stage master plan, cause that's probably what it is.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, AlexB said:

^The above pretty much said by everyone when Outback Spectacular made its debut, and yet here we are.

Yep, still never been.

Isn't 'Outback Spectacular' primarily tourist orientated? 

While I don't know a lot about Top Golf, I'm not sure why tourists would go there.  If I was an international traveller, or even interstate, I certainly wouldn't put a glorified driving range on my 'must do' activities - and I like golf *shrugs*

Edited by mission

19 minutes ago, mission said:

Yep, still never been.

Isn't 'Outback Spectacular' primarily tourist orientated? 

While I don't know a lot about Top Golf, I'm not sure why tourists would go there.  If I was an international traveller, or even interstate, I certainly wouldn't put a glorified driving range on my 'must do' activities - and I like golf *shrugs*

TP is not a glorified driving range.  Nobody is going here to practice their golf swing. 

• Like 1

Of both VTP and Ardent, TG will be the attraction that I personally will use the least. It's a Venue more than an Attraction that will appeal to the Aussie nature of getting groups together and having a bit of competitive/social fun. It's Bowling with Golf and that's how I've explained it to friends that have asked me what that new Coaster is going in next to AOS 😆

Interesting that once I have told them what this is they show no further interest. 

Been said already, this is not so much an Attraction for GC tourism as it is one of a Local Attraction.

@pushbutton you really need to save your pennies up and take yourself to Disneyland one day . AOS sales may forever suffer but your life will never be the same again.. promise😁

Edited by MickeyD

33 minutes ago, MickeyD said:

Interesting that once I have told them what this is they show no further interest. 

I think that's more the stigma around golf than anything. The moment its miniaturized or put infront of a lake, its a different story, when all in all aqua golf is exactly the same thing.

56 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

It’s a good thing then that Disney’s queue lines are more entertaining than some of our rides here 

Look at the Queues for Test Track, Mission Breakout, Flight of Passage, Haunted Mansion, TZTOT and Star Tours as examples of the best queues in theme parks

59 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

TP is not a glorified driving range.  Nobody is going here to practice their golf swing. 

The ground level is essentially a typical driving range aimed at hardcore golfers. This is definitely a significant part of the market for Topgolf despite the attraction being about much more.

I think there is validity to questions about its location. Look at Topgolf in the USA: locations in tourist towns like Las Vegas or Orlando are reasonably close to the main strip. 5-10 minute Uber/Taxi from most hotels. Then look at other cities, where the Topgolf audience is more corporate. They are built away from the CBD where land is cheaper, but the difference is most USA cities have significantly better highway systems.

I have every hope that it'll be successful but getting folks there is definitely going to be a challenge:

• Theme park guests are tired at the end of the day.
  • It's not an easy trip there and back for tourist staying at Surfers.
  • It's not an easy proposition for after-work drinks.

I see it being quite lucrative with conferences that can bus guests out and back for a night of drinks. I think it'll work with a certain type of locals too but at $35 million it is very clearly banking on being a tourist attraction.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

The ground level is essentially a typical driving range aimed at hardcore golfers. This is definitely a significant part of the market for Topgolf despite the attraction being about much more.

If they are going after that market on the coast they will have a lot of competition.  I hope they can deliver a bucket for $7.00 because that's what I pay just up the road and I'm allowed to hit them on the lower or upper levels.  :D

I've seen a few Americans I follow on snapchat going to a top golf regularly, it seems strange but when I actually thought about it it's just like a big expensive bowling alley, except you're playing golf, pretty cool to be honest and I will probably check it out.

If they were to build one in Sydney unaffiliated with VRTP then I'd most likely still be interested based on what I've seen through snapchat.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a white collar market for sure. But I know people in the states that are at their local Top Gold every 3-4 weeks. 

There's like a bazillion trade based business on the GC and between those and all the 'wanker corporates' (no judgement) this will be a meka for 'client entertaining'.

Add that to the Light Rail making transport from Surfers affordable and it will be a winner. 

I think most people just don't 'get it' because it's a radical concept that needs to be seen to understand what it's about. 

On 11/9/2017 at 11:15 AM, Brad2912 said:

It’s a good thing then that Disney’s queue lines are more entertaining than some of our rides here 

Those feels when your only entertainment is listening to an incredibly jarring accent say "4.2 POSITIVE G FORCES AND 1 NEGATIVE G FORCE." on repeat for 45 minutes.

48 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

I didn't say 'what is stigma' i said 'what "stigma"'.

You suggested there is a stigma around golf and driving ranges. I'm asking what that stigma is.

For example - theme parks in Australia are unlikely to construct river rapids rides after the stigma left by the TRRR accident...

Has there been a series of deaths linked to playing golf (outside of Caddyshack) ? Whats the actual issue with golf \ driving ranges?

• Like 1

• Richard changed the title to Let's be honest about Topgolf