Ideas for Luna Park Sydney

GoGoBoy

The direction of Luna Park  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What form should future improvements take?

• Continued focus on flat rides, with better/more elaborate flat rides being installed.
    • More substantial attractions, for example tracked rides such as roller coasters, flumes and dark rides.

guys as much as we would all like things to change at lps i wouldent hold ur breath.Working there much hasent changed in the past year apart from the introduction of the turnstilles.I mean i honestly cant see a new ride or even a change of rides for around 5 years,thats if the place survives

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes... its looks too big, overpowing and really out of place! I really dont see why they needed it! :( How often does this get used? How big inside is it?
Although the outside of the Big Top looks alright (at least they have themed it to give it a 'fun' and colourful sort of feel) it is nothing more than a huge shed. They say it is a 'state of the art' venue which may be true for people holding corporate functions and concerts but in reality it is just a big empty building. I think it's a real shame that a venue which contributes very little to the fun park's visitors experience is allowed to take up so much space. The site of the Big Top used to be home to 3 major attractions - the Ghost Train, River Caves and a large part of the Big Dipper. This entire site is now taken up by one building which sits there empty for many months out of the year. It's also the reason why they had to build Maloney's Corner so they could shove the leftover rides out the back

Hmm... Very trouble! :( I think during the times that the Big Top isn't being used, they should remove the seats, stage & anything else in the way and put the Kiddies rides inside, Then they good put some new rides like a Chance Chaos or Zipper or even a Hard Rock were the Kiddies rides are! They also could get a pernament ride next to the Dogem's to fill in the space between Coney Island & the Dogems and the Tumble Bug building! :D

It's a decent size, it's big enough to hold a small concert in, or a large circus. The Ice skating rink inside was huge. I also think that putting rides inside the Big Top is ludicrous. The rides have big loud (especially in the case of Ranger) engines on them, couple that with the scream of ride patrons, and you'll have one large echoey sound tent. Kids rides, that's an idea, but from what I've seen, it just wouldn't make any sense "Hey, I heard they have more rides at Luna Park now" says kid1 "More rides, where?" asks kid2 "in the big top" replies kid1 "that's stupid, you're stupid, go away, they can't have rides inside!" I reckon a permanent circus or something of that nature during the winter months, and an ice-skating rink (perhaps like Rockefeller Centers well-known Christmas events and ice skating rink) and a Christmas Tree and such during the summer months would be a fabulous idea.

The Luna Park bigtop is a fantastic venue, having worked in it a number of times I can safely say it's one of Sydney's best spaces in terms of location, size and the amount of thought that went into its construction. It has tons of power, more than enough rigging positions and a good seating system too. While it may appear to be a shed to some people, that's actually the best way a venue can look inside for concerts - it means you don't have to work around obtrusive or decorative features, and leaves the production team to do what they like with the space. It's an incredibly versatile room - as anybody who has seen anything in there will testify to - the ice rink worked well, as did the De La Guarda performance, and I've also lit Busta Rhymes's concert and a number of corporate gigs in there. I would have to say in my opinion, it's the best mid sized performance space in Sydney. The space is still new and isn't well known internationally, apart from its recent feature in the MTV movie awards, where the venue and whole Luna Park site were really not used at anywhere near their full potential. However, it shouldn't be too much longer before more concerts start playing in the Big Top. Instead of saying demolish it or use it for rides space, consider the fact that LPS makes an absolute fortune from corporate hires in both the Big Top and the Crystal Palace. There are two sides to Luna Park, and there has been for a long time - the fun park and the meeting point for Sydneysiders. my 2 cents anyway

The acustics really change depending on how the room is set out - in its bare state the room is a concrete shell with concrete floor, so there's a good amount of reverb. However, this changes by adding carpet and / or building the seating structures, and also by filling it with people. In line with all the other noise complaints, the Big Top's shell has been designed to almost completley soundproof the venue - the main doors are around 9 inches thick, and there is internal padding between the outside and inside walls. One late night last year the audio guy I was working with got the PA inside to 120db before we could hear a low mumur outside the venue. Other than that my limited audio knowlegde doesn't really cover much more ground. The size of the room really prohibits it as a venue for intimate performances without extensive draping, but the beauty of the Big Top's design is that rigging draping is no a huge deal. De La Guarda reduced the performance space to roughly the size of a tennis court, which was quite amazing to see and hear. I've attached a couple of pics from Busta Rhymes's somewhat lacklustre show that I lit last year, sorry for the quality but I spend more time trying to take photos of the rig than I do the venue! Hopefully this will give you guys an idea of what it looks like.

I've seen the place set up for fine dining and it looks pretty good but it's like eating in a giant shed with high ceilings.
As I said, it's totally up to how much a company spends in there. Any venue in Sydney looks like a shed if you just put some tables in. I've seen a dinner event and a few corporate gigs in there, and some look like warehouse parties, while those who spend the money can create a really intimate or dominating, themed environment. Also depends on who's doing your event management and production :P

• 2 years later...
And thank goodness for that too as not only is it a fun ride but one of the few remaining pieces of heritage significance in the park. It was originally built around 1960 in the exact spot where it stands today. Does anyone else have any other ideas for new attractions or improvements that could work well at the park?
Well I dont now how practical this would be but I always thought they should expand into the water with like floating barges or what ever they are that they have at like small boating wharfs. and they could have like water rides on them or something like that. it would b truly unique. probably one of a kind.

Get rid of that stupid tent, and put more rides in!!!
Gee you resurrected a 3 year old thread for this very illuminating comment!!!! Seriously though, as much as I love Luna Park and would love to see it restored to its former glory,I doubt very much that there will be any significant improvements to the ride roster or the attractions that are currently located within the park. Simply put ,I feel that the current owners and park management have a different agenda than simply running an amusement park.(Read into that what you will.) Time may prove me wrong(and I hope it does!!) but I dont think anything new or exciting will be at the park any time soon!!This last point makes me both extremely sad and angry at the same time!! Cheers Jobe

Sorry mate i was being facetious-I really didnt mean to offend!! :D I firmly believe that Luna Park ,with the right resolve and management nous, could restore the balance that is sorely lacking in today's park incarnation. This is because the current owners do NOT want to run LPS as a traditional amusement park as it was in its heyday. However,the introduction of at least 4-5 new world class thrill rides that would fit in the current parks footprint could do much to alter that imbalance.(Plus improving the rides currently in the lineup) Now what those rides could be is open to speculation( I firmly have my ideas with what could be done) and I would be interested in anyone's else's opinions on the subject. Bear in mind that we would have to consider in these plans the residents (unfortunately they ARE a large mitigating factor) and the way the park now makes the bulk of its revenue(ie the LPS Big Top, which is a very succesful corporate and concert venue). So while we would all love another large coaster to be installed at LPS ,it just isnt going to happen;as is the removal of the Big Top concert venue. Lets try and keep any ideas as realistic as possible!! Comments? Cheers Jobe

• 8 months later...
guys as much as we would all like things to change at lps i wouldent hold ur breath.Working there much hasent changed in the past year apart from the introduction of the turnstilles.I mean i honestly cant see a new ride or even a change of rides for around 5 years,thats if the place survives
Well I certainly hope the park does not shut down - its a shame that all of the amusement parks in Sydney shut down (Sega World, Wonderland, LPS multiple times, etc). I think LPS should buy some more land (I heard that they were in talks to buy some of the apartment blocks and use that land for further rides). Its a real shame that Luna Park Sydney is so small - my brother has been to Luna Park Rome (Italy) and it has 3 roller coasters, a river rapids and log ride - etc. What ever happened to the "Big Dipper"? Dreamworld has got it now renamed as the "cyclone". Wish we could have that back in Sydney! But I think you are ultimately right Mrmoon, If LPS does not invest in further expansion I think the numbers of visitors would continue to drop.

A new idea: Since LPS is going for the venue oriented thing, I'd suggest some kind of massive or important venue out back in Maloney's corner so that they can ditch the "rides in a car park" feel out back. I'm not entirely sure what type of venue they could stick out back that would be important enough though.... EDIT: Also move the Claw on top of a building somewhere...Possible on top of the tickets building out front. <_< >_> <_<

Edited by Nebuchanezzar

A new idea: Since LPS is going for the venue oriented thing, I'd suggest some kind of massive or important venue out back in Maloney's corner so that they can ditch the "rides in a car park" feel out back. I'm not entirely sure what type of venue they could stick out back that would be important enough though.... EDIT: Also move the Claw on top of a building somewhere...Possible on top of the tickets building out front.
Neb old son!!! Long time no hear from!!! Have to say though-not one of your better ideas............ :rolleyes: Cheers Jobe

Heres an idea: Knock it all down and start fresh. Replace the cheap carnival rides with some good ones. This time round dont take up so much space for resturaunts and empty, pointless buildings. They could fit tonnes more rides in if they just got rid of all the left side of the park. Another let down with the rides that are going these Xmas holidays too. A flume.. Hooray. <_<

Splash canyon has been hanging around the shows in the hunter valley lately.
Thats not surprising since it is owned by Osbournes and they are based in Newcastle.
Flumes are a universally fun ride though, and good for in summer period. Is it that Splash Canyon ride that seems to have disappeared?
Gazza apparently it is a brand new ride which will make its debut at LPS for this Xmas hols. I dont have any details as to what manufacturer it is but it is definitely not Splash Canyon. I am hoping for a portable River Rapids ride like something Sobema produces but I am not holding my breath. Still I agree with you I think it will be a very popular attraction for its period of tenure at LPS.
Heres an idea: Knock it all down and start fresh. Replace the cheap carnival rides with some good ones. This time round dont take up so much space for resturaunts and empty, pointless buildings. They could fit tonnes more rides in if they just got rid of all the left side of the park.
Not one of your better thought out answers Paulie..........thats pie in the sky stuff really. Cheers Jobe