Ideas for Luna Park Sydney

GoGoBoy

The direction of Luna Park  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What form should future improvements take?

• Continued focus on flat rides, with better/more elaborate flat rides being installed.
    • More substantial attractions, for example tracked rides such as roller coasters, flumes and dark rides.

Yeah, i'm not sure if they'd have enough room to fit another coaster, and it couldn't be a big one - maybe they could get Vekoma to custom design a coaster that fits in well with the cliff-face? They could call it the "Big Dipper". And if they've still got some room, they could make this dark\water ride and call it River Caves? Or just a dark ride and call it Ghost Train? Pay Attention: -----------------> :rolleyes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I might be reading this wrong, but the two main thoughts coming from this thread are: the park is a tacky assortment of flats and the park needs more flat rides.
Haha yeah, I think Joz had great foresight in his conclusion. There seem to be two types of people, at one end you've got your 'theme park heads', and they want to see the place be more like conventional theme parks (in some ways, a historic, mini version of the GC parks) with 'proper' rides. At the other end you have your 'Carnival Heads' who are really into the travelling rides, and hence want to see their favourites available every day at the park.

There seem to be two types of people, at one end you've got your 'theme park heads', and they want to see the place be more like conventional theme parks (in some ways, a historic, mini version of the GC parks) with 'proper' rides. At the other end you have your 'Carnival Heads' who are really into the travelling rides, and hence want to see their favourites available every day at the park.
Haha, you summed it up perfectly Gav. I think it is time to start a poll; What type of person are you, a theme park head or a carnival head?

I just found out from Spotty that Durkin's rides Claw and Chaos are on sale now. Since he doubts they will ever continue being travelling flat rides, Luna Park ought to buy them before someone else does. I know a lot of you think that Luna Park was supposed to be a theme park, but yeah, cadboy's got some points there. Theme parks are large and spacious, while carnivals are compact parks which will always focus on flats rides, and Luna Park seems to be more of a carnival-styled amusement park. In conclusion, I think someone ought to inform our friends at Luna Park about this golden opportunity if we want to keep those rides here in Australia. If anyone disagrees, I urge you remember Wonderland's best rides that left Australia forever since it closed down all those years ago. It could happen to Claw and Chaos if we don't act fast. :o

Just thought of something. I may be a fan of travelling carnival rides, but I do like big rollercoasters. If any other rollercoaster is too big to fit in Luna Park, then I was wondering. Does anyone think a Vekoma Boomerang coaster would fit in Luna Park Sydney? It may be a fairly small coaster, medium-sized in my opinion, but it at least gives riders that adrenalin rush. Propelled through the tracks doing three loops, and then three loops back, making six inversions in total. What does anyone think? A bigger and scarier coaster to choose from apart from the Wild Mouse.

Ive thought of that too. Dont think it would fit in Maloneys Corner though. Unless they removed Ranger and/or Spider. Even so, look how close it is to the apartments. Doubt we will ever see anything other than temp carnival rides at LPS in the holidays sorry to say.

Id love to see one here again. Its one of the few coasters LPS might, just might be able to fit in. I dont know why everyone is so against them either. Theyre no where near as bad as SLC's and most people can tolerate them. And isnt there some new train design for the boomerang? Harnesses are more like vests.. That would have to decrease the head banging.

Cool. If LPS were to have a Vekoma Boomerang coaster, what could they name it? Too many of them named Boomerang in my opinion. Maybe Big Dipper 3? It could fit if they expand Maloney's Corner a fair bit. They have all the rights since they are immune to the noise level protests. By the way, someone in LPS ought to buy the ex-travelling rides Chaos and Claw. Don't be too surprised if I mentioned them in my last postings. I've never ridden them before, and I want to get a chance to ride them. Future ideas for more rides at LPS (if possible) - Have a newly constructed Dominator for the park (set as a midway ride). - Provide a bigger rollercoaster apart from Wild Mouse (if they expand Maloney's Corner, a Vekoma Boomerang would fit). - Purchase the ex-travelling rides Chaos and Claw giving them permanent spots in Luna Park (Possible future Maloney's Corner rides). - Add a drop tower ride (Gyro Drop or something like that) - Purchase a Rainbow being sold anywhere (Possible future Maloney's Corner ride). - Advertise having big thrill rides in their brochure and website (Dominator, Big Dipper 3 and Gyro Drop will be known as Three Thrills). That's pretty much the only ideas I could think off. Three Thrills. Get it? It rolls of the tongue, doesn't it? :lol:

I don't think we will see anything that is too tall at LPS again. Something like Rainbow could be a possibility, but anything much higher than that would be hard to picture at LPS. People are also saying that they could "expand" Maloney's corner. I don't think they have any more space to expand that they own. However you could move the childrens rides that are facing the harbour and place the Ranger in the top left corner near Spider. This would create an interesting sensation for people on the ride, swinging out over the water. The noise generated from the ride would also be further away from the evil residents. There would also be a large area to the entrance of the corner, near the railway lines that could fit 2 - 3 flat rides or a small coaster. As far as coasters go, I was looking at a Maurer Söhne / Xtended SC 2000. The ride fits within a 20m x 40m Dimension, which would fit perfectly where I am talking about. I have looked at Google Arial views and checked it all out. It would suit LPS perfectly and is only 2mill USD. http://www.rcdb.com/m/id2315.htm

Wow Spotty, that coaster you suggested looks super awesome. It looks much more thrilling than Wild Mouse. Hey, it's a spinning coaster! If Big Dipper seemed a bit repetative for a name, maybe something like Dragon's Fury would do. I dunno what else to call it, and it kinda looks like the coaster from Chessington's. For the other rides, Rainbow, Claw, Chaos, and Dominator would fit. If drop towers seemed too big to fit in Luna Park, then I guess we won't see anymore giant rides in LPS. It was meant to be a park with carnival rides anyway.

For the other rides, Rainbow, Claw, Chaos, and Dominator would fit. If drop towers seemed too big to fit in Luna Park, then I guess we won't see anymore giant rides in LPS. It was meant to be a park with carnival rides anyway.
What if they placed the drop tower on the roof of a building in the park, it would give extra height and take up no extra space. Oh and BTW Big Dipper 3 would have get into the books for worst roller coaster name ever.

Where do you think a drop tower ride would be placed at? What building roof are your referring to? If it is going be a LPS ride, it should be placed in a spot where people could get a good view of the harbor while they're up high. As Spotty thinks, anything exceeding the height of a Huss Rainbow won't be a permanent ride for LPS. Anyway, I'd like the idea of a drop tower ride in LPS. Gazza believes the Gyro Drop would be a good choice. I also like Spotty's idea of moving the Ranger and Spider to another spot in Maloney's Corner if they are to have a Maurer Söhne / Xtended SC 2000 coaster. Does anyone think Dragon's Rage would be a good name for it? With these new changes, there will be room for three more flat rides in Maloney's Corner (I still believe Rainbow, Claw, and Chaos are the best choices). FTW, there's also room for one more flat ride in the midway, right at that spare space near the Wild Mouse. A KMG Dominator would do in my opinion.

I think I should have put in BTW instead of FTW when I was referring to having an extra midway ride, since it should've been an added bonus. ;) Good ideas for LPS are coming up each time. Still don't know which building roof or spot would be a good place for a Gyro Drop.

How can anyone suggest rides like Dominator and others as permanent additions? Can't we be more creative than that? You are fantasizing about the park adding new PERMANENT rides... don't you think it would be nice to get away from the old travelling carnival rides? Some of the coaster suggestions have been good. And I've always thought the park could do with a drop ride. In terms of roof tops you could use the slab where the Tumble Bug currently sits on top of the dodgems building. I would also like to see a water ride based on the original River Caves but a more souped up version with an actual flume drop. You guys know that none of this will probably ever happen right? Do you see any sign that the current owners of the park are looking to add new permanent attractions? I don't think so. Their business plan seems to be focused on functions and events with new rides only coming to the park in the form of temporary travelling attractions

I have been advocating a small coaster such as a Maurer Sohne or a S&S El Loco for LPS or LPM for that matter, for years now. In my opinion they are both quite feasible options, as are many that are detailed in this forum. I love the idea of a River Caves return as well and believe that some day we will see something of significance installed to the park. I know that these are all pie in the sky stuff at the moment, but there is NOTHING wrong with detailing some ideas for the continual improvement of the park. As can be seen , there are many options that can be taken by the park to install new attractions and who is to say that something new is not on the horizon or being planned?? Just because nothing new has been added for years might mean they are planning for something big in the near future. Who knows?? In the mean time keep up the ideas and the discussion-it is quite invigorating to see the debate and knowledge shared around. What does make me smile is that a lot of posters on these forums look down on LPS and the current ride line up with sniffs of derision dismissing them as "nothing but carnival rides". Well its true that they are ex travelling rides and are capable of being portable but they are now permanent attractions with a permanent home. There are MANY examples of the rides that are installed at LPS being installed at theme parks here in Australia and across the world. If they are good enough to be installed at these big parks then they are fine examples to be at LPS. Sure, they could do with some form of themeing or the installation of a bridge or facade to give them a unique appeal, but they are essentially good rides. The majority of them are HUSS and HUSS rides are very popular in many themeparks around the world, so lets keep some of the double standards to a minimum ok?? ;) (Did someone say Reefdiver or Pirate or Vortex??) :rolleyes: Bring on a Zamperla Mega Disko coaster i say!!! Cheers Jobe

Well... Pirate WAS a HUSS :P And I say DON'T bring on the Zamperla's *Shudders*
Spotty you missed my point! i KNOW Pirate is a Huss!! I mentioned it because it IS an example of a "carnival" type ride in an Australian theme park. Have you ridden a Zamperla Disco Coaster? I only mentioned these as a possible inclusion for LPS because it would be an Australian 1st, they are family friendly yet still thrilling and they have a narrow footprint which would work well with the current LPS layout. So if you have ridden one please elaborate further on WHY you wouldnt want to see one at LPS- by all accounts I have heard they are a well received ride and very popular with parks in Europe and the US. Cheers Jobe