Ardent Leisure CEO Simon Kelly resigns after six months

Parkz News

I agree, Mark is fantastic at what he does but his name gets thrown around far too often in here just because he's the only "active" member in the forums that was part of a theme park senior leadership team. I'm sure there are many highly qualified professionals who could fill the Ardent CEO position.

34 minutes ago, pin142 said:

Mark has an idea about the industry, Ardent seem to be filling positions with those who have no real background in the role their in so wouldn't make sense for Ardent to put someone like Mark in charge.

I know nothing of Marks credentials outside of AW & his current role, but from the outside I’d argue whilst he may be suited to the DW CEO role, the Ardent CEO role is much more multifaceted than running a theme park. It’s a whole different level. Mark may or may not have the experience and know how for just a role, I don’t know, but it seems people here are of the opinion if you can run a theme park you therefore can run a business that has a theme park arm to it, and that’s not the reality 

Wasn’t aware of Marks background at Merlin, but from what I can see (LinkedIn) it was as a commercial director for 2 merlin parks. 

Again, I’m not sure if that is the same skill set required for CEO of an international, multi-focused company - but hey, what do I know! The last 3 CEOs haven’t been all they were cracked up to be! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 2:35 PM, Brad2912 said:

I know nothing of Marks credentials outside of AW & his current role, but from the outside I’d argue whilst he may be suited to the DW CEO role, the Ardent CEO role is much more multifaceted than running a theme park. It’s a whole different level. Mark may or may not have the experience and know how for just a role, I don’t know, but it seems people here are of the opinion if you can run a theme park you therefore can run a business that has a theme park arm to it, and that’s not the reality 

I would probably agree. Most of what you raise is about scale, however.  Corporate shareholder-driven leisure business is a flawed model in my view when it comes to high-end experiential businesses and most struggle over a long time frame. 

On 11/8/2017 at 12:53 PM, Skeeta said:

In that case. No!

ouch. :) 

• Like 1

I'd just say the entire concept of a shareholder driven company is a bad move.

While it's only a tv show, Silicon Valley I've found is the best way to show why its bad. Nothing good has come from the decisions Pied Piper have made running a shareholder driven company. Let alone Hooli or any of the others.

28 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

I'd just say the entire concept of a shareholder driven company is a bad move.

While it's only a tv show, Silicon Valley I've found is the best way to show why its bad. Nothing good has come from the decisions Pied Piper have made running a shareholder driven company. Let alone Hooli or any of the others.

I agree and I believe history, sometime in the future will show that as something of a nasty pimple on the surface of commercial common sense.  Like CEO's that earn 20 times more than the next level below?  No one person can make that much difference, ever, except Branson perhaps. 

• Like 3