Dreamworld CEO discusses simulator attraction, future roller coasters and competing with Village Roadshow

Parkz News

I ask if we're talking simulators that make use of the large screen and projection equipment.

"Yeah, something like that. I won't talk about the content at the moment, but bear in mind we're a very Australian brand and Australian theme park and that's really important to us. We're pretty excited about that; [A simulator attraction] is the obvious use of the building, it's deep and tall building."

Mr Davidson tells me there's other ideas in the works that they can't speak much of – until after Ardent Leisure's AGM takes place on 20 November.

^Please, please, please let it be a flying theatre attraction! Basically Soarin' over Australia. Perfect fit for Dreamworld and the old cinema location.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 3

Whilst I have to agree with what Skeeta has said,  I am cautiously optimistic, especially about what it sounds like they might be planning for the cinemas. 

If it's done well, I think that could become Dreamworlds premier attraction. 

I also agree with Craigs comments about the need to increase prices, and I've been saying that for a couple of years. 

The only thing I don't want is a whole load of new "pay extra" charges. I've always said passes should cost considerably more than they do, but every attraction should be included. 

Not entirely sure about the new area aimed at little kids. They've surely got enough of those. They should be focusing on attractions for the whole family (which includes older children and adults, not just little kids).

Anyway, at least we're beginning to see some new ideas emerging.

Hopefully it won't be too long before these are fleshed out and begin to be implemented! 

Reading between the lines, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ardents real medium term strategy is to sell the park once they've sold the adjacent land, and in the meantime they're investing a little bit in Dreamworld just to maximise the price they get for it once they do sell it.

Edited by pushbutton

He seems like a decent bloke but you can only do as much as your given the funds to do. I think he's on the right path but any additional money would be accelerant in terms of growth. They don't have to do a DC Rivals, but dark rides and general continued sprucing up would go a long way.

Ultimately, would be great if Ardent could get a partner that is loaded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mc coaster said:

I think that this brings back a bit of hope to the park and that Ardent have not given up on dreamworld yet,

I’m not overly sure that is even the case. I don’t think the various factions within Ardent who are vying for the board have a concise and clear idea on what they want to do. 

Craig, no doubt, will take whatever he can get. His KPI’s and bonuses would be based purely around attendance and revenue/EBIT targets, so he’s had 2 years destroyed by what’s happened 

The thing that screams at me here is how often I am reading the words "short term".

I would suggest that if he is hitching his wagon to a park full of low-brow simulators and upcharges coupled with crass and forgettable licensed brands then his line of thinking may not be the only thing that is likely to be "short term".

17 hours ago, pushbutton said:

With this new Universal connection,  I wonder if there is potential for a Jurassic World area within Dreamworld. 

Could make fantastic use of this in all sorts of ways! 

17 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I said a potential Jurassic WORLD  area.

why would we wont a area based on one of the worst movies ever made there is only one word to explain JURASSIC WORLD = CRAP