Dreamworlds New Simulator

Mc coaster

Would you rather  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want to keep the cenima and get no new ride?

• Yes - I love the cinema I would hate for it to become a simulator
    • Not sure - To be honest I do not really care what they are going to do with it
    • No - I would much rather have a simulator than the cinema

Well I was thinking but have not been able to have any good ideas to what Dreamworld would theme the new simulator to and if it is a good addition to the park or not since I have never been on one myself.         

So with that in mind

• What do you guys think this new simulator will be themed to
  • Will ardent leisure allow for a budget to do it properly
  • Just general thoughts about having a simulator at Dreamworld 
Edited by Mc coaster
Grammar

I think Craig has more or less said it will be themed to something Australian, but he also seemed to be hinting it might be somehow connected to a Universal studios theme, maybe. Perhaps some connection to an Aussie movie made by Universal (if there is one)?

Will Ardent fund it properly? I hope so. We'll have to wait and see. Sounds like more details may be revealed after the AGM.

My general thoughts? If it's done well, it may be a fantastic new attraction. Awesome even. If not, it might be something I'll visit and use occasionally, maybe.

He was definitely referring to an Australiana theme.

im not overly familiar with the costings for other simulator style “fly through” attractions.

i can see it simply being everyone sitting in the existing cinema seating watching a screen of footage sourced from cameras attached to drones flying over landmarks...

3 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

i can see it simply being everyone sitting in the existing cinema seating watching a screen of footage sourced from cameras attached to drones flying over landmarks...

I won't last long at all if it is, so I'll be more optimistic for now!

He mentioned about the cinema building having a deep floor. To me that indicates an intention (however vague) to utilise that space under where the current seating is as part of a simulator ride of some sort.

I haven't been to "Soarin'" myself so I don't know exactly what's involved really, but all I know that would be like the above is a very much larger version of a 7D cinema. That could be good potentially, or maybe a Soarin type attraction is different somehow.

I've now got a better understanding of what "Soarin'" is having seen the video below.

I was sort of right that it's like a bigger version of a 7D cinema, but the seats are obviously able to move much more. I see no reason why the Dreamworld cinema couldn't be adapted to accommodate something similar with an Aussie theme, and why not. Could be brilliant (as long as they don't charge extra to use it)!

2 minutes ago, Mc coaster said:

I think if all they did was change out the seats to have movement, it would just be a 4D cenima like movieworlds just with different seating levels and I definitely would not call that a simulator.

Go to a 7D cinema and watch the video I linked to above, then you'll understand better what they might potentially do. It's far more advanced than the 4d cinema at Movie World. Far more!

I wouldn't mind if they went full on virtual reality like the old VR-1 at Sega World. After all, the technology has improved leaps and bounds since then and Dreamworld could have a one of a kind ride if it was executed properly.

The Australian theme makes me feel concerned, because I get the feeling Ardent will half-ass it and use little more than drone footage, cheap out on the simulator mechanism, and call it a day.

If they want to go the simulator route, it is imperative that Ardent take a look at what Disney and Universal are doing and see how they can replicate them within their budget. I'm looking at rides like Iron Man, Minion Mayhem, Simpsons, Star Tours, heck even the old BTTF ride Universal used to have. If Dreamworld's simulator is done very well, they could have a serious winner on their hands, and potentially even put them onto the world stage. 

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
  • Like 1

Soarin is NOTHING like a hokey ass 7D cinema regardless of scale and the seats actually move less.

In true Disney style they looked at the footage, seating position, movement, smells, temperature and musical score as one cohesive experience and created a truely unique and breathtaking attraction.

There is zero chance Dreamworld will get ANYTHING like Soarin.

• Like 1