Village Roadshow Theme Parks CEO Clark Kirby: 'We're really excited about the future of theme parks'

Parkz News

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

Sorry... give me a minute.

Ok, i'm good... now....

You want to feed Asian tourists our Australian version of "asian food" ? The idea is laughable at best. Just like when I went to the USA and the locals suggested I just MUST go to Outback Steakhouse for a 'taste of home'. Ridiculous.

(to be clear, i'm not lampooning the idea of asian flavours in the parks, just the concept that it would draw asian tourists... and as for a noodle bar....?)

Theme Parks are about rides, shows, attractions. Restaurant dining, whilst certainly having it's place (take a disney look) aren't the primary reason most people go to most parks. Take dreamworld's parkway or whatever - and how practically dead it is. Nobody goes there just for the food.

Our parks sell a lot of hot dogs. burgers. fries. Why? They're quick to eat, only require your hands to eat it, don't make much of a mess, and easy to dispose of. A noodle bar? Seriously? Not exactly something you can walk and eat, is it? Are you suggesting serve it on a plate? ie: you HAVE to sit down to eat? Or In one of those paper box things? Should they supply chopsticks to be authentic? Or some of that biodegradable wooden cutlery shit that doesn't work?

With the exception of a premium product (most asian tourists won't buy in to that) it isn't going to work - to do it properly, you need a sit-down service restaurant, in a park where space is at a premium - you're not going to give ground to a concept like that. You need quick service food that is quality, and able to be eaten on the go without the need for cutlery, or a table and chairs. Sushi works because most Nori rolls are easily eaten on the go.

I would like to see the parks move away from these ridiculous footlong hotdog types and bring in a more traditional BBQ Sausage on a roll. very similar food, but more 'Aussie' style.

Well I think the theory that Chinese people wouldn't eat Chinese food in Australia is pretty dumb tbh.  I mean obviously they aren't going to travel here for it but while they're here absolutely they would.

FWIW though I was thinking about Asian food for locals.  Go to the average shopping center food court and tell me there isn't demand for Asian food.

• Like 3

This isn't the thread for me to get into food. We could always discuss it in the relevant thread. Suffice to say you CAN get a high quality, reasonably priced, proper sit down and eat off a plate meal in a theme park. It can be an integral part of the experience of visiting the park. 

Believe it or not, some of it can even be appropriately themed too, and very much part of the entertainment! Like anything at a theme park it just requires imagination. 

I've seen it. I've eaten it. It's incredibly popular if done right! 

Edited by pushbutton

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

(to be clear, i'm not lampooning the idea of asian flavours in the parks, just the concept that it would draw asian tourists... and as for a noodle bar....?)

Thing is, many of what we would see as 'chinese' food wouldn't be regarded as chinese food by Chinese people - for example - Chow Mein, or Mini Spring Rolls, although derived from Chinese food have little resemblance to the traditional chinese dish from which it originated...

2 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

This isn't the thread for me to get into food. We could always discuss it in the relevant thread. Suffice to say you CAN get a high quality, reasonably priced, proper sit down and eat off a plate meal in a theme park. 

I've seen it. I've eaten it. It's incredibly popular if done right! 

Shit wait - did you have it at Alton Towers?

Thanks for the backseat moderation. It was so desperately needed in the absence of a mod - especially since a mod hasn't visited this thread in ages.

I am embarrassed to think what senior management of the parks think when they see some of the comments on this forum. 

I am just very glad they obviously see them for what they are,  and they appreciate the comments made by more intelligent people who contribute useful feedback on the parks, and don't get caught up in the childish insults.

8 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

I am embarrassed to think what senior management of the parks think when they see some of the comments on this forum. 

I am just very glad they obviously see them for what they are,  and they appreciate the comments made by more intelligent people who contribute useful feedback on the parks, and don't get caught up in the childish insults and nitpicking. 

Edited by pushbutton

From Wikipedia:

Projection mapping, also known as video mapping and spatial augmented reality, is a projection technology used to turn objects, often irregularly shaped, into a display surface for video projection. These objects may be complex industrial landscapes, such as buildings, small indoor objects or theatrical stages. By using specialized software, a two- or three-dimensional object is spatially mapped on the virtual program which mimics the real environment it is to be projected on. The software can interact with a projector to fit any desired image onto the surface of that object.[1] This technique is used by artists and advertisers alike who can add extra dimensions, optical illusions, and notions of movement onto previously static objects. The video is commonly combined with, or triggered by, audio to create an audio-visual narrative.

Does this hurt your eyes @djrappa?  

On 12/5/2017 at 11:06 AM, Working on a name said:

Yeah but family attractions make a good experience aleast put something in the Looney toons show building rather then the driving school that doesn't even take up the entire space 

They aren't going to get rid of something that is, 1) popular with kids as it actually gives them something to control,  2) is still only a recent development in the area.

It's not about if you like it or not, or how you think it compares to the river ride that was there previously, it's about what works. Id be looking at a revamp of the area starting with the layout and some of the older rides before getting rid of driving school.

Edited by Levithian

On 05/12/2017 at 12:43 PM, Brad2912 said:

Could be wrong, but I doubt many Chinese people come to Australia to eat Chinese food... 

Theyd be more likely to try and enjoy more local cuisine and flavours. 

I wouldn’t go to China and look for a place with sausage Sanga’s and vegemite toast... 

Chinese cuisines is much more diverse than Australian cuisine.

Nevertheless, I don't believe it will be a coaster because he implies, 'to me at least,' that it will replace the log ride at the site of the log ride, and their is definitely not enough room for a coaster.

51 minutes ago, Levithian said:

They aren't going to get rid of something that is, 1) popular with kids as it actually gives them something to control,  2) is still only a recent development in the area.

It's not about if you like it or not, or how you think it compares to the river ride that was there previously, it's about what works. Id be looking at a revamp of the area starting with the layout and some of the older rides before getting rid of driving school.

As far as I can tell Junior Driving School hasn’t done much/anything to increase attendance. Compare that to some of the kids area additions at DW that led to demonstrable attendance increases. It’s not the worst thing in the world, but IMO it is mostly a waste of space. I don’t know why they had to use so much of the show building. That space could really have been used for something superior. They could have even put a number of kids rides inside the building and made it a whole new precinct that would have been perfect for families in wet weather etc.

Edited by GoGoBoy
  • Like 1

Whilst you could definitely argue that the space could have been better utilised in terms of multiple indoor attractions fitting in there - JDS is a well themed, enjoyable attraction for kids and allows parents to jump on with them. I think it’s a good attraction, and it’s always popular basing it off the queue lines. I dunno if it was designed to bring new guests to the park, moreso to entertain the ones already in the park - much like any rides aimed for that demographic 

13 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Chinese cuisines is much more diverse than Australian cuisine.

How do you figure?

Define "Australian Cuisine" for me?

Our culture tends to draw from the diverse migrant backgrounds that emigrated here. You can't really exclude any of them unless you want to go back to witchetty grubs and kangaroo meat - so while many chinese dishes are stapled with rice or noodles, "Australian" dishes can be really anything.

---------

While Doomsday didn't really do much to build attendance, what it does do is provide additional space to soak crowds, and keep them occupied. While most rides are 'heres the queue, there's your ride, exit this way' - the doomsday precinct keeps people around - looking at (and now playing with) all the interactive elements in the Villains Unleashed area, as well as the ride. The park has needed several flats to spread the crowds away from the big thrills, and doomsday was a step towards that, which was sorely needed when queues on the big ones regularly hit more than an hour in peak. Several other little flats would be a boon for the park to really balance things out.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, GoGoBoy said:

As far as I can tell Junior Driving School hasn’t done much/anything to increase attendance. Compare that to some of the kids area additions at DW that led to demonstrable attendance increases. It’s not the worst thing in the world, but IMO it is mostly a waste of space. I don’t know why they had to use so much of the show building. That space could really have been used for something superior. They could have even put a number of kids rides inside the building and made it a whole new precinct that would have been perfect for families in wet weather etc.

13 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

Whilst you could definitely argue that the space could have been better utilised in terms of multiple indoor attractions fitting in there - JDS is a well themed, enjoyable attraction for kids and allows parents to jump on with them. I think it’s a good attraction, and it’s always popular basing it off the queue lines. I dunno if it was designed to bring new guests to the park, moreso to entertain the ones already in the park - much like any rides aimed for that demographic 

3 hours ago, djrappa said:

But driving school took what was an extremely valuable asset (a massive dark ride show building) and completely wasted it. There is no benefit to it being in that location at all, and it means no major ride will ever go there. 

Taking an in park show building and turning half of it into storage and the other half into a modestly done kiddie only attraction is one of the most short sighted and bad decisions the previous management ever made. 

About as stupid as taking their next biggest show building and turning it into Storm. 

Was at the park last night and the number of families that head to the kids area and straight for JDS is always amazing...  Everything else is ignored...  There were more adults / parents on it than kids and most of them didn't have a kid on with them...  Having a child who is obsessed with cars (a phase most young boys go through), we spend a good couple of hours at this attraction each attendance and get to interact with our son as well...

Am I sad that the great attraction that was LTRR is gone and I cannot share that with my son...  Yes...  Just like I am about Gremlins, PASS, Maverick, Young Einstein/Harry Potter, BATR (1 not 2)...  But each attraction that have replaced these things (Except Maverick) we still can enjoy as a family...

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

3 hours ago, djrappa said:

But driving school took what was an extremely valuable asset (a massive dark ride show building) and completely wasted it. There is no benefit to it being in that location at all, and it means no major ride will ever go there. 

Taking an in park show building and turning half of it into storage and the other half into a modestly done kiddie only attraction is one of the most short sighted and bad decisions the previous management ever made. 

About as stupid as taking their next biggest show building and turning it into Storm. 

djrappa - CORRECT!!! I don’t think I’ve ever agreed with a post more.