Dreamworld's Eureka Mountain Mine Ride will not be reopening

Parkz News

I'm not even slightly surprised by this.  It was very obvious just looking at it that it wouldn't come close to modern safety standards. 

I just hope the site doesn't lie vacant too long. Especially as it's close to the park entry it really should be something exciting there.

Perhaps one possibility is the space will be available  (if needed) to expand the cinema building as part of its conversion into a "simulator style" attraction. 

Presumably they wouldn't need all the space though, so something else should be planned for the remainder. 

4 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

And you think the mountain was an eyesore sitting there unused for a decade....

let’s hope we’re not now stuck looking at that terrible framework and ride out in the open for 3 years....

OMG...  Do people not read all the way through the whole article... 

"The remaining structure of Eureka Mountain Mine Ride is set to be completely removed before the end of the year."

I mean sure they might not but it says it right in the article...

• Like 1

I do read the whole article... I have also read approximately 20 published re-opening dates on rides this year at DW that have not been met. 

I have zero faith whatsoever that the entir structure will be gone. They basically have less than 2 weeks to get it done as it’s not gonna be touched between the 22nd Dec and January 

8 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

They basically have less than 2 weeks to get it done as it’s not gonna be touched between the 22nd Dec and January 

Well now they aren't being careful not to damage that structure...  And why wouldn't there be any work between 22nd and January...  Most businesses operate every day except Christmas and New Years...  

3 friends of mine work for 3 different trade companies...  Brother is an electrician...  Wife works in childcare...  Father works for a consultancy company...  Mother is a lecturer...  Sister in law is a lawyer...  Brother in law is a tradie...  The only days we can get together over the next 2 months is Christmas Day and Boxing Day and even then my father, brother, 2 friends and myself are on call or could be called in to work...

The only places that shut down that week are public servants and people who work 9 to 5 behind a desk...

Edited by MaxxTheMonster

Well tradies are usually self employed, so they can choose, I’m yet to meet one who works between xmas and New Years, maybe your family members are smart and get everyone elses business. 

Lawyer - i’d consider that largely an essential service depending on which branch of law. 

My 2 brother-in-laws work in manufacturing - both plants/factories have a 2 week closure. 

I work in corporate hosting and event management and even we close except for 1 person manning the phones. 

Childcare? Never heard of any open in between Xmas and new year on the Gold Coast. Again, I’m sure you’d find one or two, but certainly not a majority or a standard. 

A lecturer? What educational institute runs classes between Xmas and new year?? None. 

13 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Childcare? Never heard of any open in between Xmas and new year on the Gold Coast. Again, I’m sure you’d find one or two, but certainly not a majority or a standard. 

A lecturer? What educational institute runs classes between Xmas and new year?? None. 

Worked in Childcare for 10 years and my wife has as well...  Not one centre we worked at (9 different centres between us) closed other than Public Holidays...

Lecturer...  You do know that some places also offer online and teleconference lecturing and although the lecturing stops for that one week they still have to do marking, preparation, re submissions... 

43 minutes ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

Why wouldn't there be any work between 22nd and January...  Most businesses operate every day except Christmas and New Years...  

Although I note your personal experience, as i've said previously, my wife works for the biggest residential builder in queensland. All their sites shut down from Xmas - New Years. Some trades may still choose to work during those times on various small jobs - they get paid by the job, not by the hour, so it's up to them how quickly they get things done. 

The office itself closes for a week beyond new years as well.

Regardless of whether trade, construction, demolition or other industries do or do not work during xmas\new years period, this is usually the biggest tourist peak for the park - and indeed the entire coast. They may not wish to have that sort of work going on during that time, for guest experience reasons. 

• Like 1

Vale DW Mine Ride. .

At least now we can finally have closure on this whole saga - one that has plagued the Park long before the Horrors of late 2016..

Time to move forward. If DW believe they can survive beyond 2018, now is the time for them to reflect on the success of the Past, Respect the Reality of the Present and look forward to a Future that may possibly bring the very best of ideals that DW, Park and it's People have always stood for. 

After all,  Dreams are free.. right?

• Like 2

Great childhood memories on the mine ride, the first loud clunk at the start when the train connects to the chain hill and how bloody hot it would on the ride during the summer. Always loved the queue for it, hearing the screams and seeing the drop right in front of you, then hearing it screech above you as it sped back into the mountain.

It's a shame but was expected, hope they make good use of the amount of room they have there now.

Not surprising-why the CEO last month sounded such an optimistic message on it I have no idea. 

Didn't look likely to happen then, would be better if they called it that way-if they want the public to have trust in them having safe rides.

This is the same reason I don't get why they're trying so hard to make wipeout work again.  It is an old ride, tell everyone that and take it away.  Safety and an image of safety is way more important to the park than some nostalgia.

• Like 2

^but that's exactly what they're doing - they're being very clear that they'll try to bring things back if they're viable, but if they're not, they'll remove it.

The CEO's message last month was cautiously optimistic based on the info they had, then they exposed the structure, independently assessed it, and made the decision to remove... but they were clear from the start that that would be the case if it turned out that way.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

^but that's exactly what they're doing - they're being very clear that they'll try to bring things back if they're viable, but if they're not, they'll remove it.

The CEO's message last month was cautiously optimistic based on the info they had, then they exposed the structure, independently assessed it, and made the decision to remove... but they were clear from the start that that would be the case if it turned out that way.

My point was....why try in the first place?

"We're going to invest in new, modern and safe ride systems" sounds so much better than "we're going to try and restore some rides that weren't in working condition (that everyone knows are not really safe to operate in their current state, hence the need for a long maintenance period)".

It is credibility issue.  Just get rid of them now, rather than try and see if they're viable.

Issue is, as we know, that they're not in a position to be replacing all of these ailing rides with new, modern safe ride systems. So if they did say 'we're going to invest in.... etc' the issue would be that we'd see several rides removed, but a vacuum left in their wake as they're not financially in a position to start building multiple high value replacements.

When they have significant capital assets worth millions, that might just need some cash thrown at it to make it safe, compliant etc, why discard it?

When your 'check engine' light comes on, you don't crush the car into a cube and buy another one... but if you take it to the mechanic, and your $4000 jalopy is going to cost $3500 to fix - you start considering that maybe its a time to upgrade to something new...