A new standard for attraction theming

pushbutton

The video below is one example of how recent technology advances have made possible a whole new level of immersion. 

Wouldn't it be wonderful is this quality of effects were used on Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster.

There's holographic, motion projection, and of course virtual reality to make use of too. Of course VR is already in place at Arkham Asylum. 

Has anyone got any other ideas how these technologies could be implemented at Australias theme parks?

I think seeing a cool piece of tech and thinking 'Ooh thats cool we need to do that!' is kind of arse backwards.  There are so many things you can do the thought process should be 'what story or sense of place are we trying to create and what is the best tech to bring that to life'.  So when talking about how to fix Scooby, just saying 'projections' isn't really an idea.  It's a great tool that can be used for sure, but in itself it's not an idea.  It's a bit like answering the question 'What renovations are you doing to your house?' with the word 'Hammers!'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Levithian said:

heh. If comparing to disney budgets, end results are usually like your parents saying we bought you a new car, then finding out its a 1996 hyundai excel.

I have had one of those 1998 rather than 1996, but it certainly wasn't my first car. I'd have been over the moon if my parents had bought it for me!!!

My first car was actually a 1975 Mazda 1300, which I had to save up for a long time to buy myself. 

Kids these days don't know they're born! 

2 hours ago, joz said:

I think seeing a cool piece of tech and thinking 'Ooh thats cool we need to do that!' is kind of arse backwards.  There are so many things you can do the thought process should be 'what story or sense of place are we trying to create and what is the best tech to bring that to life'.  So when talking about how to fix Scooby, just saying 'projections' isn't really an idea.  It's a great tool that can be used for sure, but in itself it's not an idea.  It's a bit like answering the question 'What renovations are you doing to your house?' with the word 'Hammers!'

Ok. So what's your answer to the question I posed, or to put it more specifically, what sort of attractions would you like to see that could use some of these effects? 

Again, it's kart before the horse type stuff.  You're looking at how to get tech you've just discovered into rides.  I don't want to see rides installed based on what effects you can install on them.  You can use any effects on anything, you can project cracks appearing on the Subway walls on Superman, you can project ghosts on the wall at Scooby, you can project dynamite fuses on the lift hill at Wild West.  The trick is to use the technology to help your story, not design something so you can use technology.  That sort of backwards thinking is why movies in the early 2000s were generally awful, it was technology first story second.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pushbutton said:

I have had one of those 1998 rather than 1996, but it certainly wasn't my first car. I'd have been over the moon if my parents had bought it for me!!!

im not talking about then. Im talking about now. If you compare disney budgets and hold it up as an example of what should be achieved here with the refit of scooby doo, then its going to be like being given a "new" 1996 hyundai excel in 2018. Its a car, it steers, you don't have to walk, but its not what you were expecting at all.

Edited by Levithian

Me too, but I dont know anyone that has been given a "new" (see what I did there? "new") car by their parents and it was actually new. So new is a kinda loose word thrown about by them; new to you? newer than whatever they were frightened with you driving?

So excited.... then kinda let down its not actually new like the cars you were dreaming about owning.

Hence the disney on a village budget. 1996 Hyundai excel when you're dreaming of a new mercedes (or whatever floats your boat). Going to be left a little disappointed with the end product.

Some very interesting concepts in the link below. 

I especially like the sound of the ride that takes you underwater in an open capsule. Something like that could be perfect for Sea World. 

3 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Some very interesting concepts in the link below. 

I especially like the sound of the ride that takes you underwater in an open capsule. Something like that could be perfect for Sea World. 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise!

Edited by pushbutton