Dreamworld - 2017 Log Ride reopening

DaptoFunlandGuy

On 12/26/2017 at 5:07 PM, GoGoBoy said:

That's just crazy. You are going to have a lot of very upset guests over the hot summer period. Meanwhile, there are countless log rides overseas that have been running for decades and decades with NO INCIDENTS. Why don't they just look overseas for a little reassurance???

Because of liability. Thats the single biggest reason.

Regardless of overseas, if your safety people and your insurance companies assessors deem something a risk, then something has to be done about it regardless of what hasn't happened overseas. You could be the first to have the accident, and if it's deemed that you knew there was potential for something catastrophic happening like rolling over one of the logs or allowing someone to stand up and ride it down the drop again, without addressing any of the potential hazards, you'll be crucified by everyone. The public, the media, the courts, everyone. Do you think the theme park industry on the gold coast could survive another accident so soon?

Trying to retrofit anything new to something old is always a bastard. Can you imagine how many designs failed before it actually got to a physical one, let alone one they are going to open the ride with?

Seriously.....if it's the case DW have put 1) their Logs in a "cage" and 2) removed the tunnels.....they are still run by a pack of amatuers - it's a THEME Park and every attraction needs quality theming.

I was hopeful the next 10yrs or so, was going to see the long-term return of DW to genuine quality standards. IF what I'm reading here is true, this is not encouraging....and the Log Rides been a very safe attraction....surely, they can come up with a simple belt restraint, this thing looks weird not to mention horrible....not seen it anywhere else on a Log Ride...laughable actually.  No tunnels, what's with that? Do they still use "real water", I mean people HAVE drowned in it???  :angry:

Edited by RobMac
  • Like 3

On 23/12/2017 at 10:09 PM, Gazza said:

IMG_6787[1].JPG

So technically folks can now:

• Use the first back-rest as a seat and use the main steel frame holding the roof up to hold on

• Squat in front of the first back rest and use the two circular-shaped braces to prop themselves up
  • Provided you're sitting behind the first back rest, you could push your head against the roof, put your knees against or on top of the back rest and use the main steel frame to hold on and brace
  • If you're sitting behind the first back rest, you could simply squat stand and use the frame to brace yourself and maintain your squat stand
  • If you're in the back, given the height of the circular steel braces, you could squat stand like the previous example
  • If you're in the back, you could seat on the very rear back rest, and use the steel frame to brace yourself and hold on

I genuinely hope i'm missing something and i'm 100% wrong.

Guess I can start wearing a hat on this ride, if that cage offers water protection for my head from the final splashdown. 

All jokes aside, this is a ridiculous method to keep the ride safe. Seatbelts could have worked just fine, but cages are a better idea according to DW.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

Just wondering if anyone can tell me one thing the ghetto roof achieves at all? Like it won't stop you getting out, won't stop you leaning out the side of the log, hell it won't even really stop you standing up...

Other than likely ultimately rusting out the internal frame of a log that was never designed for a roof, causing people to trip getting in and out, and no doubt a claim for injury from the ops opening and closing them down the line of course... 

The flat bottom and low displacement makes all flume rides unstable by design. This problem is taken care of with the depth of water and ensuring that the wheels on the boat bottom out long before a critical angle can be reached.

The idea that the frame has anything to do with capsizing or preventing something like Thunder River Rapids needs to stop now because it's pretty dumb and ignores the basic design principles of flume rides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Richard said:

The flat bottom and low displacement makes all flume rides unstable by design. This problem is taken care of with the depth of water and ensuring that the wheels on the boat bottom out long before a critical angle can be reached.

The idea that the frame has anything to do with capsizing or preventing something like Thunder River Rapids needs to stop now because it's pretty dumb and ignores the basic design principles of flume rides.

This is something I was wondering about. There have been a couple of flume ride accidents overseas where the log has actually tipped forward at the bottom of the drop and ejected passengers, with very serious injuries resulting. But as Richard suggested, I believe this has something to do with water level.

Let’s look at this logistically, if a log was to flip, say backwards on main lift or as it hit the bottom of the drop, the frame would actually do very little and would probably crush anyway.

From a frame perspective it looks real nice, I’d love one with a nice shade sale for my ride on train, but realistically it does jack all.

19 minutes ago, Glubbo said:

Won't it increase the height of the log's centre of gravity? Albeit marginally..

I was more thinking about how it wont let water fly up and over the riders and instead hit it and then proceed to drip on them all the way to the offload...  And then continue on the new riders at loading...  That and the curved perspex narrowing the suns rays onto the people riding or the empty seats focusing it into a single line along the boat increasing the sun damage along the seats...  But I'm sure these are all things they thought about before putting them in place...

• Like 2