Dreamworld - 2017 Log Ride reopening

DaptoFunlandGuy

2 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

But I'm sure these are all things they thought about before putting them in place...

Yes I'm sure Dreamworld thoroughly thinks through all decisions made at the park. 

"Yay reopening the mine ride will be good"

"You know what goes well with Vintage Cars? Koalas you can't see!"

"nah too many slats is the problem, take 2/3 of them off..."

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, djrappa said:

Yes I'm sure Dreamworld thoroughly thinks through all decisions made at the park. 

"Yay reopening the mine ride will be good"

"You know what goes well with Vintage Cars? Koalas you can't see!"

"nah too many slats is the problem, take 2/3 of them off..."

Too many managers, with different opinions but none have the ultimate authority to make decisions. 

I've worked for an organisation (well, more of a disorganisation) like that. Usually leads to either no decision or very sub-par decisions, which to someone with common sense can seem a bit bizarre! 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

On 03/01/2018 at 8:28 PM, pushbutton said:

Too many managers, with different opinions but none have the ultimate authority to make decisions. 

I've worked for an organisation (well, more of a disorganisation) like that. Usually leads to either no decision or very sub-par decisions, which to someone with common sense can seem a bit bizarre! 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

10 hours ago, Adventures With JWorld said:

Looks like the cages do open up when you are about to board the ride 

E9D96E0D-5F8B-487D-A72C-A4881000D4B3.thumb.jpeg.6332e177806bbd484a03aa08c54e0d93.jpeg61D71589-7766-4405-8EE1-82D5D199C045.thumb.jpeg.feb0d084c5af12a024ec9e06ae2fc387.jpeg

Looks like each manager has been given a boat each and put their own designs on them 🤣

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Les be honest, was there really ever any high live of theming. Yes there was the cave, but that’s the only major difference I’m seeing here. And that only added an extra dark section to the ride. All the theming that remains appears to have been repainted or replaced, and there also seems to be some added theming (machinery and saws throughout). A lot more could definitely be added, to make the ride more themed to a saw mill or something. But for now, as a lot of people keep saying, at least it has reopened, and this doesn’t mean they will improve the ride more, in the future 

13 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Unless it's supposed to be themed to the Flintstones, there's virtually no theme now.

It is the Rocky Hollow Log Ride...

Let's break it down:

• Is it Rocky? Well - not really. Theres a few rocks around though. Plus plenty of places have names that really don't relate to what you might find - for example - Robe isn't famous for Robes.
  • Is it a Hollow? Well in this context, it means a valley - and it is in fact downhill from main street - and on the other side, it does go back up, so yes, I'm going to say it firmly meets the 'hollow' criteria.
  • Is it a log ride? Well - mostly. You do ride in logs. It's just that those logs now have additional framework attached to them.

All in all - i'd say it fits it's name very well. Log rides are usually themed around sawmills and such, since sawmills used to float logs down a river to get them to the mill, so with the added sawmill signage and machinery... it's quite a pleasantly fitting theme.

(ETA: in the resdesign, since they're likely to keep both Buzzsaw and RHLR, they really need to try and tie both of these together. If Sea World can change the flume channel for Vikings - Dreamworld should be able to do so for RHLR to bring it closer to Buzz.)

It's no Splash Mountain, nor does it try to be - but to say there is no theme is pretty shortsighted.

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 3

@pushbuttonWhat was the theme when it had mushrooms?  What was the theme when it had an empty cave?   The Danger sign as you entered the cave should have read. “DANGER you are likely to fall asleep while in the cave” (nothing to see here)

@AlexB Is right.  Removing the cave hasn't removed the theme.

Edited by Skeeta

From what I remember, there used to be an unload platform. Now however, they seem to be getting on & off in the same location which seems to be a really slow procedure. 

The flying theatre is said to be 40 people per ~5 minute ride. I just hope Dreamworld doesn’t turn into LowCapacity World, which would be a nightmare when it gets super busy. 

2 hours ago, xRazzBerryx said:

From what I remember, there used to be an unload platform. Now however, they seem to be getting on & off in the same location which seems to be a really slow procedure. 

The flying theatre is said to be 40 people per ~5 minute ride. I just hope Dreamworld doesn’t turn into LowCapacity World, which would be a nightmare when it gets super busy. 

There is still a seperate load and unload platform, that video was just taken at a time of day when there was just the one platform being used.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

School holidays and re-opening day seems a strange time to be running with off peak operations.... 

Nothing is ever strange at DW. 

Now that assistance is required to get out of the Log I highly doubt the unload platform will utilised too often.  If the riders are kept at the top of the stairs before loading what is the purpose of the gate.?  Even stranger why lock the gate every time?  Does DW believe a guest will push past a ride attendant to get on or is it to keep the rabbits out?

If the attendant stands on the outside of the gate as shown in the video what is the point of the umbrella?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Nothing is ever strange at DW. 

If the riders are kept at the top of the stairs before loading what is the purpose of the gate.?  To stop invisible guests who the ride op’s cannot see from accessing the ride, of course 

Even stranger why lock the gate every time? Because if the gate is not locked and both hinges broke at the exact same moment, the gate would fall off and create a trip hazard

If the attendant stands on the outside of the gate as shown in the video what is the point of the umbrella? That’s where the rabbits go to stay dry when it rains