Sky Voyager Discussion

T-bone

A quick vox-pop.  What are the last three things you can recall that added value to the park for you as a guest?  Now, what are the last three things you can recall that Dreamworld did well?

Things that added value for me:

• Tailspin (2014)
  • Pandamonium (2012)
  • The Claw (2004)

Things that were done well:

• Tiger Island refurb (2016)
  • Brock's Garage Motorsport Museum (2015)
  • Dreamworks precinct (2012)

God, I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a few of these.  I would have loved to have put the refurb of Wipeout on the 'done well' list, but I just haven't seen the reliability out of it, nor have I seen the theming ever look finished.

I definitely think that the refurb of Tiger Island proved they have the facilities, knowledge and skills to design and build a world class attraction. I definitely think it is one of the best animal exhibits I've ever seen, especially for tigers. The left extensions aren't that great, but the main island, seating area and shop are awesome.

And for Tailspin, a very simple ride, but I definitely think it was very well executed

• Like 3

To be fair I think they executed Trolls Village well. 

For a “temporary attraction” it’s themed, staffed, designed well and delivers on exactly what it should be. I know it’s location isn’t great, but I think it’s a fantastic addition for that demographic/market and wouldn’t be out of place becoming permanent. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, webslave said:

A quick vox-pop.  What are the last three things you can recall that added value to the park for you as a guest?  Now, what are the last three things you can recall that Dreamworld did well?

Things that added value for me:

• Tailspin (2014)
  • Pandamonium (2012)
  • The Claw (2004)

Things that were done well:

• Tiger Island refurb (2016)
  • Brock's Garage Motorsport Museum (2015)
  • Dreamworks precinct (2012)

God, I had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for a few of these.  I would have loved to have put the refurb of Wipeout on the 'done well' list, but I just haven't seen the reliability out of it, nor have I seen the theming ever look finished.

More or less when I compare DW to other Theme Parks in the world, DW has nothing exciting. 

Flight simulators are great attractions and I have never heard somebody getting off one saying “I didn’t like that”.  If Brogent Technologies make a solid flight simulator than this ride will be the number 1 ride at DW by a long shot.  In my book of theories and workings of the world I-Ride has the potential to get into the top 5 of Australian attractions. 

One problem for DW will be the ability to sell it to the public.   If I was DW I wouldn’t sell it as a simulator because when I think of past simulators in Australia, I think of bumpy sweat boxes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, themagician said:

I definitely think that the refurb of Tiger Island proved they have the facilities, knowledge and skills to design and build a world class attraction. I definitely think it is one of the best animal exhibits I've ever seen, especially for tigers. The left extensions aren't that great, but the main island, seating area and shop are awesome.

And for Tailspin, a very simple ride, but I definitely think it was very well executed

The Tiger Island shop is brilliant. Truly evokes a jungle atmosphere and is reminiscent of the immersive style of theming of some the big overseas parks. Let it become the standard for DW.

• Like 5

Taken from Ardent's FY results presentation.  It looks like DW is aiming for a Boxing Day opening.

"Flying Theatre attraction (iRide) to be opened in late December 2018; this $15 million attraction will be the first of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and will showcase Australian landscapes in a breathtaking experience".

• 2 weeks later...

1436427998_Screenshot2018-09-0915_37_29.thumb.jpg.b6c0eda1e7c403feb17dcc2f9f974354.jpg

Cheers @Brad2912 for the shots, in the interest of discussion i've just done a dodgy-ass photoshop - here's a few take-aways:

• The artist rendering is super deceptive to look as aesthetically pleasing as possible (forced perspective etc.) so take it all with a grain of salt
  • A section of queue line is outside
  • There's a massive mezzanine foyer inside?
  • It seems based off my colour-coded blocks that the wavy tarp roof will continue past Green Bean?
  • Because of the forced perspective it's too hard to tell if the shops on the left will replace 1:1 the shops there before, will continue past the Gold Rush sign (look at the where the existing building cladding ends) or will jot out more.

I just want to add, this building is not theming, lol.

My take is it'll be a nice enough looking facade but I reckon it might be jarring in Main Street wedged up against the other facades. By comparison, DisneySea's new Soarin' attraction is being built in the Mediterranean Harbour and as such is getting a full old stone-building design to fit in.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 5

• Gazza changed the title to Sky Voyager Discussion