Sky Voyager Discussion

T-bone

Couple of observations:

- $17m is steep considering they're (mostly) reusing an existing structure. I wonder if demolition/asbestos removal costs for the mine ride are part of this figure?

- No way does this open in 2018, based on the current state of the building. I suspect April 2019 school holidays is more likely.

7 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

Yes, December may seem like a stretch but even if they don't hit the late December delivery date, I'm confident that we'll see it before the end of Jan 2019.

Construction complete perhaps, but there’s still the whole “test and adjust” phase before they open it to the public. I’d love to see it open earlier but it seems unlikely at this stage.

Wasn’t Trolls Village six months late or something? And that one is just a walkthrough and some shops!

The ride's program has likely already been set and tested overseas in other functioning venues. Once all equipment has been bumped in they can start closing in the building, interior Q, air conditining etc.

For example, way back in the early 90's a Motion base Simulator was set up inside a soundstage over at WB's Studios Burbank where the initial Test and Programming was carried out for what later became the Batman Adventure ride at MW. It made sense to have it over there because it was where everyrhing had to get approved first and also so they could do all the ride profile stuff while the ride building itself was being constructed. 

• Like 3

On 02/11/2018 at 10:44 PM, aaronm said:

Wasn’t Trolls Village six months late or something? And that one is just a walkthrough and some shops!

Yes, and there was apparently some major issues with the licensing terms and exactly how it was to be done - nothing to do with physical construction which went up very quickly once the apparent licensing stuff got sorted out.

In this case, there's no licence - the film was created specifically for the park, and they've had months to work things out behind the scenes. Provided the machinery and control system functions as designed (and this isn't a one of a kind system so that shouldn't be difficult) all things should slot into place fairly easily.

8 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Yes, and there was apparently some major issues with the licensing terms and exactly how it was to be done - nothing to do with physical construction which went up very quickly once the apparent licensing stuff got sorted out.

I'm not suggesting Sky Voyager will have the same issues as Trolls Village, it's more a comment on Dreamworld's ability to get an attraction open on time. Given the current level of progress it seems quite unlikely they will open this in 2018 - there's more than just construction - commissioning the ride system, tweaking the ride program (something that needs to be 100% perfect on day one), evac + emergency plan testing, safety signoffs, and so on.

I would disagree, the current level of progress is very high. They are working on it every day, and ive driven past at night, and they would still be using the cranes (with very strong lighting). The internal steel went up very quickly, and I can imagine now the exterior will too. I don’t think it will be open early December, but definitely late or very early January 

Edited by themagician
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, aaronm said:

I'm not suggesting Sky Voyager will have the same issues as Trolls Village, it's more a comment on Dreamworld's ability to get an attraction open on time. Given the current level of progress it seems quite unlikely they will open this in 2018 - there's more than just construction - commissioning the ride system, tweaking the ride program (something that needs to be 100% perfect on day one), evac + emergency plan testing, safety signoffs, and so on.

Since it's Dreamworld, they can skip those last steps which will save them a solid 2 hours towards opening day.

• Gazza changed the title to Sky Voyager Discussion