WWW expansion 2018

Tim Dasco

I thought considering this has been semi announced we can make it its own thread. I am personally hoping for something along the lines of the proposed stage 2 for WWW with maybe some different slides on the tower. Will be intresting to see what they end up building.

IMG_7713.thumb.PNG.2dbba2617e609e630e62d9e33474e6cb.PNG

Edited by Tim Dasco

I think the best way they could approach it is to think about what theycan do differently or better than at Wet & Wild. 

They already have the advantage that guests can easily walk between the dry park and waterpark, without needing to show passes again or empty lockers, so a good start there.

They already have the Hydrocoaster, which Wet & Wild have nothing like,  so another advantage. Finally they already have much nicer changing rooms than W&W.

Off the top of my head, here's a few ideas of other things they could do:

1. Lockers that are free to use. 

2. A couple of really nice cafes serving good food at reasonable prices. 

3. Perhaps an adventure river rather than just duplicating what's already available down the road with another lazy river.

4. Regular entertainers roaming the park.

5. I don't know of any specific ones, but build a couple of new slides that are significantly different to any at W&W. Maybe an enclosed slide which has audio to listen to as you slide. Not just any old music. They could make it something really interesting or fun!

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

Maybe WWW could go with a White Water West slide complex this time.

2 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Perhaps an adventure river rather than just duplicating what's already available down the road with another lazy river.

I am on holidays and last Monday I went to Volcano Bay. At VB they have 2 rivers: they have an adventure river and a lazy river. I think it worked really well because you could relax in one and have tones of fun on the other. Maybe WWW could do this.(I don’t expect it to happen)

Edited by Mc coaster
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pin142 said:

Free lockers wouldn't work with the dry side of the park next door now that it is one giant park. People would use all the free lockers in the water park instead of the dry sides which would be paid for making it near impossible to obtain a locker in the water park.

What is this dry slide? I've never seen one at Dreamworld, but I'd be interested to give it a try. 

Regardless, measures could be put in place to prevent people misusing the lockers. 

1 hour ago, Flynn_Smith said:

DreamWorld have now introduced shows in White Water World.

At 11:45 and 3:00, you will be treated to Evolution of Beach

At 12:50 and 2:20, you will be able to see a new show called 'Light it up'.

They have also released a new show called 'Can you feel it'

That's great! 

• 10 months later...

Now whilst an "adventure river" is rumoured (especially given the original expansion plans included one (see 1st post of this topic)), Ardent's Gary Weiss confirmed some details of the expansion today in his AGM address:

We are also investing in a $15 million major extension to Whitewater World which will consist of pools, waterfalls, beached areas, function and events space, cafes and pop up retail outlets. This new precinct will add significant capacity to the water park and provide a great space for families to enjoy.

So no permanent retail outlets.

And "pools" - plural. I assume one of the "pools" is the rumoured "adventure river". After all, that is just 1 large pool. Given "pools" is a plural, there might be another ride being built as well. I assume the "waterfalls" and "beached areas" are part of the "adventure river" forming part of & the entry/exits of the ride respectively.

But if he literally meant just "pools", well that would be a new low in how to invest wisely in water park attractions. It would be fine with no hype but if you are making a massive expansion to win back visitors after a tragedy in your park, it would be anti-climatic to those potential visitors when they find out it is just a couple of plain swimming pools.

Hopefully the "pools" are more than just a concreted hole in the ground with filtered water in it.

Even if one of the "pools" is actually a wave pool (like Wet 'N' Wild Gold Coast's Giant Wave Pool), that's still silly because Whitewater World already has one (Cave Of Waves).

That doesn't mean they shouldn't add a wave machine in an "adventure river" if they add one though. That's a different type of water park attraction altogether.

A quote in the AGM presentation mentions a very similar amount will be spent in the 1st half of next year:

Anticipate investment $16 million of development capital at Dreamworld in 1H FY19

This could mean the Whitewater World expansion will be ready to 'officially' open in September 2019 with a potential 'soft' opening, if they want, in July 2019. After all, who 'officially' opens a water park expansion in the middle of winter? Unless they are planning a version of Wet 'N' Wild Gold Coast's Whirlpool Hot Springs? A spa pool is a another type of pool, after all.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
AGM presentation quote section added
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

A quote in the AGM presentation mentions a very similar amount will be spent in the 1st half of next year:

This could mean the Whitewater World expansion will be ready to 'officially' open in September 2019 with a potential 'soft' opening, if they want, in July 2019. After all, who 'officially' opens a water park expansion in the middle of winter? Unless they are planning a version of Wet 'N' Wild Gold Coast's Whirlpool Hot Springs? A spa pool is a another type of pool, after all.

Incorrect.

1H FY19 refers to July-December of 2018, as the financial year runs from July to June.

Thanks @AlexB. I completely forgot.

So that makes the official opening most likely on Boxing Day 2019...if they finish it in time as that quote implies they are going to build in the lead-up to summer, which is when most water parks begin operations. Wouldn't it be better to begin construction in the autumn so it is ready to 'soft' open in September with a big media/marketing campaign in October & November for an 'official' opening on the 1st of December? Unless of course, the 'extension' is not much (like plain swimming pools) meaning they could get it built in 2 months for a 'soft' opening in September. If there were delays and it didn't open until March 2020, it would completely miss the summer peak period & will probably have the longest 'soft' opening period for a theme park attraction ever - until summer 2020/2021.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

14 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

1st half of FY19 is literally right now... 

F%^K!  I did it again.  I didn't make it to NYE.   My NY resolution was to read more so I put the subtitles on my TV.

17 minutes ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

@AlexBSo that makes the official opening most likely on Boxing Day 2019

Must be a crap expansion if it opens in 6 weeks and we've seen nothing. 

@themagicianWhere are my photos?

@AlexBdid you see what I did with the dates?

Edited by Skeeta

30 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

1st half of FY19 is literally right now... 

Thanks @Brad2912. I am clearly getting the months & years of the 2019 financial year completely wrong today - Ardent aren't helping with the lack of construction in the Whitewater World construction site too.

If they are due to start construction in roughly the next month and the construction is going to last no longer than 6 months (that is, no later than June 2019), maybe coincidentally I was right in the 1st place?:

1 hour ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

This could mean the Whitewater World expansion will be ready to 'officially' open in September 2019 with a potential 'soft' opening, if they want, in July 2019. After all, who 'officially' opens a water park expansion in the middle of winter?

Mind you, given I've gotten the months & years of the 2019 financial year correct now, maybe Ardent are actually seriously thinking of an official opening in the middle of winter. Surely, they wouldn't though?....Right?

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

2 hours ago, Jamberoo Fan said:

A quote in the AGM presentation mentions a very similar amount will be spent in the 1st half of next year:

That $16M would be SkyVoyager.

Water Park?  Who knows.  Maybe they can blow up an inflatable waterslide with a couple of inflatable pools in 6 weeks.  Or re-locate a tacky "ski park".

The expense is booked in 1H FY19 - July to December 2018. That doesn't mean finished. That could just mean they've booked the entire project cost. Clearly they've started something, given the fencing and others, so no doubt they'd have had to drop a deposit and probably some progress payments. it may make their end of year outlook better if the whole cost is booked in 1H? I don't know.

That doesn't confirm anything about completion dates, but yes, I should think 6-8 months for a september opening to open the attraction at the beginning of the 'its warm enough to go swimming again' season, rather than halfway through the 'swim' season makes a lot of sense to me.

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

@AlexB did you see what I did with the dates?

Huh?

On 19/11/2018 at 6:39 PM, Evie said:

it’s sectioned off for trucks moving the dirt from the lazy river to gold rush.

I've been searching high and low for an application for an "operation works" to move this soil and I can’t find anything.  Either this is being done illegally or it hasn’t started yet.

Edited by Skeeta

46 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

I've been searching high and low for an application for an "operation works" to move this soil and I can’t find anything.  Either this is being done illegally or it hasn’t started yet.

Dreamworld would never do anything illegally. They seem like such a respectable company...

12 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

Dreamworld would never do anything illegally.

That's good to know.  Maybe they have asked Gold Coast City Council to approve their own work. </sarcasm

Sorry I had to edit because I missed this.    </sarcasm tag.

Sorry I had to edit again to say the </sarcasm tag is for this post and not for DW doing illegal stuff.

Edited by Skeeta