Sign in to follow this  
Parkz News

Dreamworld rebounds with big crowds for the peak season

28 posts in this topic

they've got the crowds back now they need to continue on with that with new attractions. the  Flying Theatre  is a good start and after that some new exciting thrill rides and maybe....a nice shiny new coaster

Edited by bladex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bladex said:

they've got the crowds back now they need to continue on with that with new attractions. the  Flying Theatre  is a good start and after that some new exciting thrill rides and maybe....a nice shiny new coaster

Not thrill rides though please!  I think they're on the right track with the plan for a dark ride. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there yesterday, it was the first time in an age that there have been 30 min + queues for rides.

I still think they need to keep a point of difference from their friends across the highway and focus on quality family/older kid rides, as they nowhere near competing with Movie Worlds coaster offerings right now.  My 9 year old has done most of the Big 9 now, but isn't tall enough for all of MWs coasters yet.  She's loving DW right now, as is her 6 year old sister who isn't up for the thrill rides yet, but very satisfied with the Dreamworks area (but also past Wiggles/ Kids WB). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume so?  Wiggles World - self-explanatory to be boring for someone out of preschool.  Kids WB zone at Movieworld - much the same (except maybe Road Runner Coaster), but more problematic, as the only other choices are Scooby (currently unthemed), and Wild West, which is admittedly awesome, but just one ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that DW according to their website is open from 9am-6pm. Is that normal summer trading hours, updated from the previous 10am-5pm. I definitely hope so as I am in QLD from 9th till 16th Jan and havn't done DW for 10 years and with summer crowds the extra two hours being open will come in handy. Now with two kids aged 7 and 5 they are looking forward to it. I myself hope that Wipeout is somehow open but I'm not holding my breath with the continual promises for the re-opening date being postponed all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They announced they were changing for the summer holidays mid December, and for the past couple years have had extended trading hours (But has been until 9 or 10 because of the night show they did)

WnW and MW also have extended trading hours (9-6) until the 8th

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sooner our parks extend their closing and opening times the better. After experiencing the Disney parks in  Orlando closing at 10 and 11pm in OFF peak times just highlighted how wrong our parks have got it. This could be a massive point of difference for Dream World if they adopt a similar plan. Extended opening hours is a move that would be embraced by the public at large. Install a Laser light spectacular or nightly parade or fireworks to give people the motivation to stay untll the end and I think it would be a winner. Of course, I would expect the Village Parks to quickly replicate these plans if this was to occur but this would only be positive for the  industry as a whole. I know I would love the opportunity to ride at night in the GC parks.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, themagician said:

They announced they were changing for the summer holidays mid December, and for the past couple years have had extended trading hours (But has been until 9 or 10 because of the night show they did)

WnW and MW also have extended trading hours (9-6) until the 8th

I'm really missing Dreamworlds night show this year. Hopefully Carnivale will at partially compensate. 

 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

6 minutes ago, Jobe said:

The sooner our parks extend their closing and opening times the better. After experiencing the Disney parks in  Orlando closing at 10 and 11pm in OFF peak times just highlighted how wrong our parks have got it. This could be a massive point of difference for Dream World if they adopt a similar plan. Extended opening hours is a move that would be embraced by the public at large. Install a Laser light spectacular or nightly parade or fireworks to give people the motivation to stay untll the end and I think it would be a winner. Of course, I would expect the Village Parks to quickly replicate these plans if this was to occur but this would only be positive for the  industry as a whole. I know I would love the opportunity to ride at night in the GC parks.

I really think they should at least trial this.  Had they got a visionary management, during the Commonwealth games this should be a given.  Perhaps Village, Dreamworld, or both actually will, but I'd expect it to be well known by now. 

 

I am dumb, so I await correction by someone wise! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jobe said:

The sooner our parks extend their closing and opening times the better. After experiencing the Disney parks in  Orlando closing at 10 and 11pm in OFF peak times just highlighted how wrong our parks have got it.

I don't think our parks have the demand to be open late. Disney parks in Orlando also have a abundance of nightly entertainment,  shops, restaurants, shows and resorts adjacent to the parks. Which our parks lack. 

Yes Movie World have Outback Spectacular and later this year Top Golf. But I don't think that is enough. 

I'm not ruling it out completely in the future. I think it is a good idea. If Movie Worlds hotel and entertainment precinct ever gets developed this may have a chance of working. 

(Just my opinions) 

Edited by TomiJ
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s not forget until a few years ago WnW traded until 9pm in summer with Dive In Movies and back in the 90’s SW did have a night show in the lake. 

I think Joz has more info on that I was very young to remember it but involved the SW chopper and giant dragon breathing fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if they did have demand for it, the question is will council allow it. 

They probably have strict conditions to run a limited number of events as it is, with regards to noise and neighbours. They might not be able to run the rides at night, even if its only for a period of a month or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Skeeta said:

Yes

Capture.thumb.PNG.ef2a90e9fcd28378ab523f6354ca2e7d.PNG

Excellent Skeeta!!

 

If little old Aussie World can host a summer of night time events like this, then surely this is a wake up call to the larger Gold Coast theme parks. I predict this initiative by Aussie World will be very popular and successful

https://www.aussieworld.com.au/events/ride-the-night-2018

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that for an event though? Not for day trade As it says 2 weeks notice.

Does it even apply to movieworld and wet n wild as dont they have to close the outside rides at movieworld by 8:30 or something on fright nights, etc because of the noise restrictions to housing behind and next to the park?

Edited by Levithian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 9:34 PM, Levithian said:

Is that for an event though? Not for day trade As it says 2 weeks notice.

2 Weeks notices is only for other activities. 

As far as the Gold Coast Council are concerned MW can operate to 10.00pm every night.

c.thumb.JPG.e55edb7a201acb226fb0b4707f7a6204.JPG

On 1/6/2018 at 9:34 PM, Levithian said:

Does it even apply to movieworld and wet n wild as dont they have to close the outside rides at movieworld by 8:30 or something on fright nights, etc because of the noise restrictions to housing behind and next to the park?

Yes.  MW, SW & DW all have the same noise requirement outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How has the attendance been looking at the parks the past few days? Keen to go but I live 3 hours away so not worth the drive if the parks still have crazy queues. Great to see them busy, especially Dreamworld, but still prefer not to wait hours for rides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this