Superman: Ride of steel

GoGoBoy

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found this on Screamscape... Its a rehash of whats on RCDB but it also gives away a bit more info on the track layout..... 2005 - Superman: The Ride - (3/25/05) Screamscape’s sources tell us that the ride will be an Intamin Rocket coaster and will start off the themed adventure in a Metropolis Subway station. The train will advance into another room where Lex Luthor appears and causes an earthquake. The train will attempt to escape on it’s own to no avail and upon entering the next room Superman will appear and “attach” himself to the back of the train, pushing you to the safety of the outdoors at around 100 mph in just 2 seconds where it will then climb up a large top-hat and into a set of camel back airtime hills before coming to an end. Construction should start fairly soon because the ride is hoping to be complete by September. Hmm... was hoping the layout was gonna be a bit more exciting than just a 40 metre tophat and some dips but I guess if you want to theme it with some dark ride show scenes ya cant have your cake and eat it too. I'm dreaming here but when I heard the storyline I couldn't help but think how cool it would be if the first part of the ride operated like Spiderman at IOA with the train rolling though the station etc with the chaotic scenes unfolding on the projection screens and moving sets- this style would also relieve the rider of any tacky lex luthor/superman animatronic characters that they could be subjected to otherwise. All good until the glasses fly off your face in the launch. :eek:

The problem with all these different sources (screamscape, rcdb etc) is that most of them get their information from each other. In this case, It would seem that screamscape have got their information from the same place as RCDB, but where RCDB stayed Metric with their measurements (100Km/H) Screamscape has misquoted in Miles. One thing i've also considered is that some of these rumor websites get their information from places like r-c.com.au. A member mentions how cool it would be if it was faster than another particular ride, at 100Km/H in 2 seconds, suddenly, others agree, and the rumor mills pick it up and run with it. Its highly likely that the lex luthorsupermandifferent rooms thing will happen, after all, they do have those soundstages from the movie magic show to utilise, so thats almost a given... but the ride layout, other theming, the actual story line (hell - it might not even be lex luthor)will not be known until its either built, or WBMW releases something to the media. Screamscape is a rumor site. nothing on that site is confirmed until is SAYS confirmed. I'll wait for a press release to hith WVTP.com.au first.

I wont say what is true on the theming of the ride as I wont say facts till the park makes it public that why I waited till this week before I could put up the 0-100 in 2secs on ozcoaster, as that info became public this week, I would actually like to know who is emailing these sites with this info.

In regards to Screamscape, Lance has two rules with posting onto his site. First if it is only a rumor, then it is stated as such at the beginning of the info. If it has been confirmed, then Lance normally will receive the info from the ride builders and not the parks, as they are more keen to release the info about the new rides that they are building. A lot of these company's do sign contracts that do not allow then to tell anyone about upcoming attractions, but we all know from past history that this does not allways happen,( remember the trains for Scooby Doo at the industrial fair in Germany before the ride was even confirmed). So now that I have said my peace on that topic, about the rides layout. If the rumors about the bunny hops are true, then expect some turns in the layout also, due to the lack of space that the ride has to be built. I would guess at least 1-2 turns inbetween the hills so as it will fit into place. Just some more thoughts for the grinder. :cool:

Screamscape’s sources tell us that the ride will be an Intamin Rocket coaster and will start off the themed adventure in a Metropolis Subway station. The train will advance into another room where Lex Luthor appears and causes an earthquake. The train will attempt to escape on it’s own to no avail and upon entering the next room Superman will appear and “attach” himself to the back of the train, pushing you to the safety of the outdoors at around 100 mph in just 2 seconds where it will then climb up a large top-hat and into a set of camel back airtime hills before coming to an end.
Pitty that it's only a rumour...the ride was starting to sound really good and I really had my hopes up. I guess nothing is 'concrete' until we see press/media releases.

As much as this ride is sounding like it's going to be fun, I hate the way Australian parks have avoided installing a nice standard sit-down hyper with a massive lift hill and continuous circuit. To me, this sort of ride should have been added before all of these variations like launch coasters. The closest we have is Cyclone and that is way off the mark. And Movie World skipped this style of coaster all together

Tell you what then Goboi, why don't you boycot this new coaster in protest? As for the rest of us, we'll probably happily ride it being thankful the park has invested in a world class coaster type. Seriously, can't we all just be happy that we are getting a new attraction?

With all the problems Intamin had with their restraints, I wouldn't be surprised if MW doesn't go with the traditional lap-bar (like the one on TTD). The new Intamin restraints are a weird combination of OTSR and lap bars...Like this. More than likely, Superman will have this style of restraint fitted to it.

Do we know for sure yet if Superman will or will not have Inversions? The one in RCDB does? Anyway, I don't think it's all that important anyway. The Launch sounds like it will come as quite the suprise given the Dark ride show that's rumoured to preceed it. I guess they will save a tonne of $$ utilising the existing Movie magic Show buildings as well and maybe that's shaved some off the ride's budget? Wasn't 12 mil the price tag for Scooby? Look how good that turned out! Sorry to the synics out there but personally, I'm banking on this being MW's best addition yet. And sorry to DW fans out there too but it would appear that MW is set to become the Rollercoaster Capital of Australian Theme Parks once Superman opens. Woo-hoo, can't wait:)

I'd love to see Movie World grab that title! I am definitely happy to hear about the possible dark ride sections at the start of this ride... it would be keeping in true MW style and would certainly create atmoshpere. In fact that is one of the main reasons MW is my favourite park. For me, dark rides (or rides with dark sections) just add so much more to the overall experience. That is why I have never been a fan of Wonderland or Dreamworld style parks