Log Ride "cage" photos

Slick

21 minutes ago, Levithian said:

It is what it is. Do you want to ride or do you want it to be closed and bulldozed? because those are your only options.

While I did leave it open I guess with my background of photography and whatnot people would've assumed the context was the imagery itself. In saying that, they're not the only options, and putting a weird cage roof thing is not the only option either.

• Like 1

I'll be at Dreamworld this coming Monday. Needless to say, I'm kind of glad I'm likely missing out on Rocky Hollow. I wasn't looking forward to getting my 6'5" frame into one of these cages.

Could have done with some seatbelts and would have achieved the same thing. But instead, Dreamworld will probably get an array of problems from tall people trying to fit into these cages. No other log flume in the world has these silly things.

23 minutes ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

You know dreamworld probably didnt want to do this either, they most likely just wanted to keep it he same, but the audit people said otherwise, so they had to do the cheapest way possible which was this

Well, if the 'audit people' said they had to do it like this, then Wild West Falls would have cages too. So would Aussie World's Log Ride.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rollercoaster_Lover said:

At the same time wild west already has lapbars and RHLR didnt

RHLR still doesn’t have lap bars.. this change has nothing to do with lap bars... Last time I checked having a roof doesn’t secure you inside the boat... that tells you this change has been made to somehow mitigate a rollover causing submergance of guests in the water. The chances of a rollover occurring on a log ride, therefore requiring a mitigating redundancy, is clearly illustrated by the complete lack of this feature in any other log ride in the world. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

RHLR still doesn’t have lap bars.. this change has nothing to do with lap bars... Last time I checked having a roof doesn’t secure you inside the boat... that tells you this change has been made to somehow mitigate a rollover causing submergance of guests in the water. The chances of a rollover occurring on a log ride, therefore requiring a mitigating redundancy, is clearly illustrated by the complete lack of this feature in any other log ride in the world. 

Ohhhh okay

Well, nothing on this website really matters in the scheme of things, @elemist, but I'd say most here would find this an interesting topic of discussion given how unique these modifications are.

@Brad2912, not sure the roll cage idea holds much water, so to speak. The frame is certainly not load-bearing, it's bolted to the fibreglass shell of of the boats (maybe passing through a steel frame within the fibreglass, but this certainly wasn't engineered for this purpose ~35 years ago).

The logical purpose of the frame is to simply keep riders seated. Either to stop people standing up and hitting their head on beams and/or falling out, or because standing riders can make the boats unstable. As for why not something as simple as seatbelts?  Either difficulties in attaching them to the existing boats (the shared seating arrangement would perhaps make this a challenge), or because of requirements surrounding how restraints can be utilised on water rides.

I love log flumes, and most operate without incident. But as I referred to earlier, there have been a couple of cases overseas where a log has flipped and caused serious injuries. I'm guessing that this could be the reason for the cages, although of course we don't know.

In the first incident overseas there was reportedly not enough water on (or possibly at the bottom) of the final drop, causing the log to flip. In the second incident, the boat slid back down the lift hill, flipping and trapping the riders temporarily underwater. Links to articles about the two incidents:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031306/Grandmother-loses-leg-thrown-log-flume-ride-girl-4.html

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0721/Cedar-Point-accident-Log-flume-ride-malfunctions-injures-7

Update: Richard appears to have poured cold water on this theory in the post he just wrote above this one. The cage as a prevention method to discourage people standing, as bizarre as it is, I suppose also makes sense as we know about DW's log ride incident where the guest, from memory, stood up and fell out.

Edited by GoGoBoy

35 minutes ago, Roachie said:

Regardless of opinion on the roofs, one thing noteworthy stands out today - it's the first day in a very long while the park has had all its core rides and attractions open post incident.

...And technically it's...

nevermind. :P

Oh Captain My Captain!