New Mad Mouse for Luna Park Sydney?

T-bone

So I was trolling through the internet as one normally does, and stumbled across a document from Pitt and Sherry, the company most publicly involved in the Dreamworld re-certification of attractions. 

Interestingly in their document of work they have done, they mention that they provided design verification of the mechanical, pneumatic and electrical components of a SC2000 Spinning Coaster from Maurer Sohne. I've attached the screenshot and also attached a link to the document. 

The question I am unable to verify is how long ago that work occurred, is it recent? Is it old and perhaps was once considered a replacement for the wooden mad mouse? Or is our mad mouse knocking on deaths door?

So many questions, not enough answers. Does anyone know anymore? 

You can find the document in question here > https://www.pittsh.com.au/cms_uploads/docs/amusement-rides--project-gallery.pdf

Capture.PNG

• Like 4

A coaster like that definitely wouldn't replace the wooden Mad Mouse as it is heritage listed, so I assume if this was to be built it would sit on the land of the old Big Dipper (or where the Tumblebug is now). I thought that a coaster wasn't part of the $20 Million expansion, maybe it's due to be built after they've finished building the 6 new rides? 

Definitely an exciting find though. Its finally great to see some hope for another permanent coaster in NSW. Hope this actually happens and these aren't just old plans that have gone to waste. 

THANK GOD WE ARE GETTING A NEW COASTER FINALLY

Even if it isn't a Eurofighter, and spinning coasters are not my cup of tea. Good choice for a small park like LPS. Have been ripe for a new coaster for well over a decade now. If this happens I will be there on opening day to ride the coaster. I kind of hope that the coaster gets normal sit-down trains as opposed to spinning trains but that is probably wishful thinking. I've never really been a fan of spinning coasters. But that being said the ones I have been on are all Reverchon or chinese ones so my opinion will probably change.

I know @Jobe would be very happy with this one. I vividly recall him saying the park needed one of these.

On the topic of the old Wild Mouse, that ride is heritage listed by the NSW government. It is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
  • Like 1

For those wondering - based on the measurements in the image posted above, Maloney's corner is really the only option. They really don't have the option to take it out over the big top, nor could they take it over the carousel.

the square in the harbour is just a more accurately measured rectangle as i couldn't get the diagonal measures as precise.

LPS Mouse.png

• Like 1

Great find!!! This is all very interesting!! For what its worth, I did put forward a Maurer 2000 SC as a possible coaster for LPS to Brad Loxley Operations Manager at LPS with a number of other alternatives and he did say that he has ridden 2 examples of this type of coaster in the US and that they provided an excellent ride. Although it may be unconnected and just wishful thinking on my part, his enthusiasm for this coaster does give one hope.......Interesting and it certainly bears further investigation.

On 1/23/2018 at 4:48 PM, AlexB said:

For those wondering - based on the measurements in the image posted above, Maloney's corner is really the only option. They really don't have the option to take it out over the big top, nor could they take it over the carousel.

the square in the harbour is just a more accurately measured rectangle as i couldn't get the diagonal measures as precise.

LPS Mouse.png

Excellent work but could the coaster possibly fit on the Tumblebug site by sliding the footprint back towards Coney Island with supports sitting off the slab in the area between Coney and the Tumblebug site. Would mean that the supports would need to be longer to accommodate the height difference and also track would be suspended over the area. Just a thought.....

On 1/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, XxMrYoshixX said:

I know @Jobe would be very happy with this one. I vividly recall him saying the park needed one of these.

Oh indeed!!!! :D

Any chance we could rename this topic to "New Spinning Coaster for Luna Park Sydney"? @Richard The Maurer Sohne SC2000 differs greatly from a standard Mack wild mouse, and the current classic wooden mouse.

I have ridden Crush's Coaster at the Walt Disney Studios Park (Disneyland Paris). Which is the SC2000 model, with an extended pre lift hill dark ride section and different track work for the station. This layout actually delivers decent forces, drops and banked turns. It hardly has any hairpin turns. It's a fun ride that is suitable for all ages. Smooth as well.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

Well the plot thickens in regard to this.

I discussed this finding with Brad from Luna Park along with some other Luna discussions  and his reaction was certainly interesting. Whilst I knew that he would not and could not confirm the park installing this coaster, his reply was very open ended. Here it is:

Interesting that Pitt & Sherry have that on their website…. So much for confidentiality agreements!
You will probably not be surprised to hear that we have looked in detail at the SC2000,  and also some other roller coaster options, both off the shelf (like the SC2000) and some custom layouts for the Park. You and I both know that every good amusement park needs a signature roller coaster ride!

There is no official confirmation and we know that there will be none until the park is ready to release a press statement to what is essentially a very sensitive ( to the surrounding residents) issue. The addition of a new roller coaster to LPS is likely to stir up memories of the 2nd Big Dipper coaster and the acrimonious lawsuits against the park that followed. Now though, the park will be better armed to combat any such resistance and the installation of a new coaster of the the type the park may be looking at will be far less controversial than a 100 foot tall Arrow multilooper.

So we can definitely glean from this that LPS are actively looking at options for a 2nd coaster.:) This is fantastic news and one that should be celebrated! If they are going for a Maurer, then this will be a Australian first and will give LPS a unique coaster experience for this country. I love that they are also looking at plans for custom layouts- a unique riding experience found nowhere else is a big drawcard for all enthusiasts. The next 2 years are looking extremely bright for LPS and I will certainly be at the forefront on reporting and documenting the changes as they come to hand. Happy days!!

• Like 4