Parkz News

Dreamworld, Movie World launch newly refreshed websites

18 posts in this topic

Sure - here are the major points I took from the article. One question to answer before writing is "who is my audience"?

Parkz tends to be the first search result for theme parks in Australia, other than sponsored content, or the actual park's website. So the answer to the question is pretty much everyone who visits the parks. Families, teens, enthusiasts etc. These articles tend to push to social media, and they also feature within the forum too - so keeping in mind that not everyone who visits the park is balls deep in web design and online marketing and so on...

 

Quote

1. (https://movieworld.com.au – it's finally secure!)

2. modern web UX trends

3. the popular Bootstrap framework

4. Vectors are relied on heavily

5. Both sites look to use SiteCore, an enterprise content management system, as their underlying technology.

  1. We'll pause now to rave about the site being secure. Ok - it's secure... but why is this something to rave about precisely? Your average mum and dad reading the article while planning a trip to the parks has no idea - although i'm sure they can assume it is a good thing - why is it a good thing?
  2. I assume this is the cool way to say "User Experience" these days - but what are they?
  3. if its so popular, shouldn't I have heard this before? No? Why haven't I heard it? Because i'm not a web designer? Oh, so this is a web design forum now? exactly.
  4. I know what a vector image is. Is that what we're talking about? Because Im not quite sure i follow...
  5. Ok great - we explained what SiteCore actually is - thats a step up from the previous jargon terms, and more in line with the previous 'style' i keep referring to - but why is this important enough to mention in the article with no other background, detail, or explanation?

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should know @AlexB you have go much higher than Joz. 

@joz is the suggestion box cleaner. :)

 

suggestionbox-new-750.thumb.jpg.91381344e24fd5c3d8107a5ac8a014df.jpg

 

Once you have washed your hands can you send my suggestion up the chain of command.

I'm having very deep "feelings" with this article. 

I couldn't really tell you wants in it article because I haven't read it.

But I know if I read it I wouldn't like it.

Please do better next time making want to read it.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Parkz prides itself (rightly) on producing articles that are in another league compared to the very downmarket and general Gold Coast Bulletin, with a level of technical information that most people with a genuine interest in the industry appreciate.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GoGoBoy said:

I think Parkz prides itself (rightly) on producing articles that are in another league compared to the very downmarket and general Gold Coast Bulletin, with a level of technical information that most people with a genuine interest in the industry appreciate.

But thats about theme parks \ amusement parks \ rides - thats the industry focus here, and certainly those articles are commendable both for the technical detail, but also the layperson's description - they're written so that people with industry knowledge can appreciate them, but also so that people who have no fucking idea can at least understand it at a basic level.

For example - regarding the iRide announcement:

Quote

The ride will feature four 10-seat arms that tilt, surge and roll in front of a hemispherical screen. Riders are exposed to wind, sound, light, mist and smells throughout the journey.

So although the article mentioned an incarnation 'like Soarin' - for those who had NFI what Soarin was, it still gave ample description of what it was.

 

What about the construction update of Voodoo at funfields, that explained such simple detail as a  counterweight...

Quote

Meet the counterweight. It is instrumental in helping the ride perform its unique inverting manoeuvre.

Or even just:

Quote

An example of how the rockwork is built up with layers of a special concrete/render mix.

 

3 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

That's true @GoGoBoy if you're talking about theme parks. 

If I'm on a theme park site I don't believe I should be expected to understand web design to read an article.

Precisely my point Skeet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does NFI mean? This is an amusement industry focussed website FFS, AFAIK that ancronym simply just doesn’t belong here, IMO. 

As I always say to my girlfriend when she asks me about what the dog can and can’t eat, “gee, if only we had the entirety of the world’s information in our pockets and readily available 24/7.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Roachie said:

What does NFI mean?

No Fucking Idea

10 minutes ago, Roachie said:

What does FFS mean?

For Fuck's sake.

11 minutes ago, Roachie said:

What does AFAIK mean?

Sounds like another swear word.

Ass Fat Assbit in Kidney

15 minutes ago, Roachie said:

What does IMO mean? 

Invert Muff Odor.

21 minutes ago, Roachie said:

 I always say to my girlfriend when she asks me about what the dog

 

With that foul mouth I don't know if you should be around animals or children.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We cover all manner of stuff on this website that is utterly boring to 99% of the population. At the end of the day this is an article that was thrown together because it is something of minor consequence to talk about in an otherwise quiet week. It's a niche audience within a niche audience that would be into this and it's not a topic we'd make a habit of covering regularly so it was left at a level that would be interesting for anyone that willingly reads beyond the hyperlinks to the two websites. The payoff -- for you, me or this website -- just isn't there if we made this piece web design 101, compared with say roller coaster construction techniques for dummies.

Be sure to do up a list of big, confusing words every time we cover something financial because we never explain things like EBITDA,  the inner workings of the stock exchange or annual general meetings for the poor mums and dads.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer Skeet's version of events at all times and this is how I won't the article re-written.

"In the past WBMW website could easily be compared to or mistaken for MDMC.  Guest would be excited with anticipation as the page loaded.  As per MDMC the excitement quickly ended once the restraints locked in.  WBMW website & MDMC the ride never delivered what they promised and left you confused and a bit dumber once you got off.

Movie World (https://movieworld.com.au –have taken their dated (MDMC) website out of the past and relaunched with a clean, modern look that carries through the entire website. You could say it’s night and day or as we like to say MDMC and Rivals.  The design is heavily inspired by the current crop of advertisements from Village Roadshow Theme Parks that use vivid imagery and bold statements to sell a decidedly physical theme park experience.

On a gloomier note Parkz wishes to inform you MDMC remains”.

 

By Skeeta Fly

1/02/2018

</sarcasm>

 

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Roachie said:

What does NFI mean? This is an amusement industry focussed website FFS, AFAIK that ancronym simply just doesn’t belong here, IMO. 

As I always say to my girlfriend when she asks me about what the dog can and can’t eat, “gee, if only we had the entirety of the world’s information in our pockets and readily available 24/7.”

 

Apart from it being a somewhat more well known colloquialism, the fact is i used the term only a paragraph above where I used the acronym - so the answer could at least be found in the same text.

As for googling it - sure if it was something mentioned in the forums, I would go and try and find the answer before just quoting entire slabs of a thread, repeating each acronym after the quote and expecting others to pander to my ignorance (fuck where have I seen that happen recently?) But in an article, You don't generally sit down to read the news and have to cross reference it with Encyclopaedia Britannica.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

We cover all manner of stuff on this website that is utterly boring to 99% of the population. At the end of the day this is an article that was thrown together because it is something of minor consequence to talk about in an otherwise quiet week. It's a niche audience within a niche audience that would be into this and it's not a topic we'd make a habit of covering regularly so it was left at a level that would be interesting for anyone that willingly reads beyond the hyperlinks to the two websites. The payoff -- for you, me or this website -- just isn't there if we made this piece web design 101, compared with say roller coaster construction techniques for dummies.

Be sure to do up a list of big, confusing words every time we cover something financial because we never explain things like EBITDA,  the inner workings of the stock exchange or annual general meetings for the poor mums and dads.

You make a fair point with reference to the financial stuff, and to be honest, its something i'm looking at every day so it never occurs to me that others wouldn't understand it - perhaps you should? I mean nobody needs to study accountancy to get at least a basic idea of what EBITDA actually is - simply stating what the letters stood for would be enough for the layperson to comprehend what it meant, if not the full financial detail of it all - my point is that usually your articles do make at least some effort to give at least a basic understanding of the terms used - as I said in my first comment - that's not what i've come to expect from Parkz articles at all, and I think i've been around long enough to judge that pretty reasonably.

Meanwhile, I was asked what i was referring to, and i've pointed out several things that really made not a lot of sense to me, and would have been quite happy for someone to give a quick sentence on each to explain them (which, mind you, would answer the same questions for a lot of other people who are reading this and not asking because they'll either be Alvey'd or because i've already asked the question) - but instead i've copped a barrage of sarcastic tongue in cheek references as to why I don't need to know, or shouldn't be complaining...

Do I need to get @razza1987 in here to ask the questions? Because everyone seems to be fine when she's asking...?

 

Also, while some things are technical, others are opinion - so only the writer could share their thoughts - why is the bootstrap framework considered popular?

Meanwhile - it is a fucking quiet week, and there's plenty of nobs reading this thread who know the answers, and yet not one of them has given any answers which would have solved my issue quite quickly. Clearly i'm not alone in this viewpoint - and you guys are always going on about having a decent and reasonable conversation instead of shitfighting and yet look at how this discussion has gone because 'you know something I don't know' (shit we've heard that before too, haven't we?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, AlexB said:

Also, while some things are technical, others are opinion - so only the writer could share their thoughts - why is the bootstrap framework considered popular?

To be fair, given you know Google pretty well you probably also found this link: https://www.sitepoint.com/most-popular-frontend-frameworks-compared/
...which is the top result on Google for "bootstrap framework popularity".

From their notes:
"The main strength of Bootstrap is its huge popularity. Technically, it’s not necessarily better than the others in the list, but it offers many more resources (articles and tutorials, third-party plug-ins and extensions, theme builders, and so on) than the other four frameworks combined. In short, Bootstrap is everywhere. And this is the main reason people continue to choose it."

Although, you've been having a tough week here so I'm not going to rub it in.  Some of what you've been saying I've agreed with, but now it's just turning into a bit of a shit-fight.  Just giving you a stir on the Google thing.

  • Fountain of Improbability 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, webslave said:

To be fair, given you know Google pretty well you probably also found this link: https://www.sitepoint.com/most-popular-frontend-frameworks-compared/
...which is the top result on Google for "bootstrap framework popularity".

 

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

As for googling it - sure if it was something mentioned in the forums, I would go and try and find the answer before just quoting entire slabs of a thread, repeating each acronym after the quote and expecting others to pander to my ignorance (fuck where have I seen that happen recently?) But in an article, You don't generally sit down to read the news and have to cross reference it with Encyclopaedia Britannica.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now