Adventure World MI4 - 2019

Tim Dasco

So I found this article that confirms MI4 and the MI attractions continuing every 2 years.

Fun Park rides on 40 Million investment: by https://www.businessnews.com.au/article/Fun-park-rides-on-40m-investment?destination=node/384958

More than 8 Million people have visited Adventure World since it opened its gates as Edgley's Adventure World in November 1982.

Built on an old limestone quarry in Libra Lake, the park was founded by local entertainment promoter Micheal Edgley, and started with just 12 attractions and a work crew of 100.

The early 1980s were a time when, Luna Park(s) aside, the amusement park business was in its infancy nationally. 

On the Gold Coast, which is considered Australia's amusement park capital, Movie World was still nine years away, Wet 'n' Wild two years from opening, and dreamworld had only been operating for 12 months.

Adventure World has since had a change in ownership and has been in the hands of a private Western Australian family for the best part of 20 years.

During that time, the park has more than doubled in its number of attractions to 29 and staff numbers are just short of 450. 

Despite the lack of other major amusement parks in the state, with the demolition of the Hillarys Great Escape water park announced last year, Adventure World chief executive Andrew Sherry, who has been involved with the park since 1999, said competition among leisure activities for customers was strong.

As a result, he said the park had a strong focus on planning for the future, investing almost $40 million over the past seven years into delivering a series of rides across the near 200,000 square metre park. 

These upgrades had included: the interactive aquatic playground Kahuna Falls in 2011; the $12 million Abyss roller-coaster in 2013, which received a silver medal in the 2014 Tourism Awards for best new tourism development; the $7 million tornado waterslide The Kraken in 2015; and the instalment of the large spinning swing Goliath, at an undisclosed cost.

"Theme parks are complex businesses, "Mr Sharry told Business News. "They demand capital and rejuvenation; you need to continually reinvest to give people a new reason to come, to inspire their imagination. To be a serious theme park, you need to have a serious roller-coaster."

"We're fortunate that our owners have an intimate understanding of that, developing the park and seeing it grow."

Mr Sharry said the business planned to continue its major capital spends every two years and was currently assessing several options for its next investment.

"It takes time to develop a project and install a multi-million dollar ride - you don't just go out and buy it and three minutes later it arrives, " he said.

"It can take years in some instances, so if you don't have that forward thinking and planning it reduces the likelihood to be successful.

"We've also invested heavily in our in our requirement processes and training programs. At the end of the day you can have the best roller-coaster in the world but if your operators don't look after your guests then they just won't have those good memories."

In 2016, Adventure World was inducted into the Australian Hotels Association WA Hall of Fame after winning WA's best training instigative three years running.

Mr Sharry said that, about five years ago, the business had also identified a need to lift its food and beverage standards, and now treaded that of its operations as it would a new ride.

"The theme park category typically has a reputation for delivering expensive, low quality, low value for money food," he said.

"These are multi-faced businesses and you need to make sure your looking at the whole picture."

Theming was recognised as another area for development, starting with Dragon's Kingdom, an area for younger children in 2012, with every ride taking on a persona, which Mr Sharry said believed added another layer to creating a better guest expeirence.

Mr Sharry said while the private business did not disclose yearly visitors numbers, it had experienced a growth over the past 5 years.

"We're not going to rest on our laurels, we're going to continue to improve, "he said.

"I've seen WA maturing in its understanding of the contribution tourism can make to the economy, to jobs and the like, and I think that's something Adventure World can contribute to, it's part of our strategy moving forward. 

Andrew_Sharry_Adventure_World_35years_anniversary_18Jan2018-7996-1440.thumb.jpg.5820aaa8dfb9cc9d51866e5b56a57387.jpg

Key points:

• $40 Million spent on the park over the last 7 years.
  • They plan on continuing its major capital spends every two years and is considering a number of options for its next one.
  • They have seen a massive growth in attendance. 
  • They plan on keep improving.

So what do people think MI4 will be? I still think a lazy river or another Proslide.

Edited by Tim Dasco
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

So I found this article that confirms MI4 and the MI attractions continuing every 2 years.

Fun Park rides on 40 Million investment: by https://www.businessnews.com.au/article/Fun-park-rides-on-40m-investment?destination=node/384958

Key points:

• $40 Million spent on the park over the last 7 years.
  • They plan on continuing its major capital spends every two years and is considering a number of options for its next one.
  • They have seen a massive growth in attendance. 
  • They plan on keep improving.

So what do people think MI4 will be? I still think a lazy river or another Proslide.

Awesome! V. Funny

• Like 2

I would love a water coaster, that would be a great addition but it depends what the budget for MI4 is. They tend to be a the high end of the price range. I think a lazy river would be great around the castle area and front of the park. But whether at this stage if it's worth the operating cost. (Mainly in on peak) However they could even go the route of another proslide cloverleaf slide next to Kraken.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

A lazy river being considered a 'maximum impact' attraction is a bit of a stretch to be honest. Rather have something like a Boomerango, a watercoaster or an Aqualoop complex. Maybe even an Australian first slide like a Proslide FlyingSaucer.

They should be going up and fixing Abyss for next season though. That ride was quite rough the last time I rode it.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

A lazy river being considered a 'maximum impact' attraction is a bit of a stretch to be honest. Rather have something like a Boomerango, a watercoaster or an Aqualoop complex. Maybe even an Australian first slide like a Proslide FlyingSaucer.

A lazy river would be a capacity soaker that AW needs for peak seasons and with a lot of heavy theming that the team is capable of doing it could be classified as a MI. However I’m convinced it will be a Proslide and wouldn’t mind a hybrid with many elements including the flying saucer element.

EDIT:

8 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

They should be going up and fixing Abyss for next season though. That ride was quite rough the last time I rode it.

Heard from staff within the last season that The Lagoon (Main pool) was going to be receiving some TLC. Do agree though, not to sure what they would do anyway. 

Edited by ABYSS
  • Like 3

The main thing they can do to make abyss smother is to get trains with lap bars. However for a coaster only in its 5 year of operations it is not worth getting new trains yet. It's rough, but nowhere near rough as some other coasters in Australia.

On the note of fixing up Abyss, I have noticed all the boards that tell the story of Abyss have been removed. Cool lights have been added in the station to help see better also.

Edited by Tim Dasco
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

Every second attraction for 15 years has been a dry ride. The parks has a mix of both.

You're right! Every second attraction - and since the last attraction was a dry ride...

10 hours ago, T-bone said:

expect a water attraction.

The rest of that discussion is for another thread... oh look, another thread!

5 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

The main thing they can do to make abyss smother is to get trains with lap bars. However for a coaster only in its 5 year of operations it is not worth getting new trains yet. It's rough, but nowhere near rough as some other coasters in Australia.

5th SEASON. not year. that ride hasn't done 5 years service like a gold coast ride has. Hell - Superman has been going for 13 years and you wouldn't catch most people calling it rough...

As far as I'm concerned, for a park that shuts down for such a big chunk of the year, maintenance ought to be top notch, as there's plenty of time to deal with refurb and upkeep.

:- cue AW fanboy onslaught.

7 hours ago, AlexB said:
13 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

5th SEASON. not year. that ride hasn't done 5 years service like a gold coast ride has. Hell - Superman has been going for 13 years and you wouldn't catch most people calling it rough...

As far as I'm concerned, for a park that shuts down for such a big chunk of the year, maintenance ought to be top notch, as there's plenty of time to deal with refurb and upkeep.

Eh, being the only good coaster in the most isolated city in the world makes me think the "smoothness" of that ride is probably over-analysed and over scrutinised. It's a Gerstlauer Eurofighter, not a B&M hypercoaster - it is what it is. It has abnormally tight, crazy elements and transitions in disgustingly hot weather that's so hot that for most of the year it would come close to the edge of Gerstlauer's operating temp limits.

With that in mind, it runs pretty damn well in my mind, but then again, I wasn't overly sensitive or fussed about DC Rival's "vibrationgate" either.

• Like 3

Personally i think AW is now at an interesting point as to where they move to next. They've invested heavily into pretty much every area of the park and have a pretty good mix of both thrill rides (rampage, power surge, abyss, goliath) and plenty of water rides/slides. The kids area is pretty great and they've also got Kahuna Falls.

Potentially they could look at investing in something mid range and more family orientated. Something that's more exciting than the kids rides in Dragons Kingdom, but not as thrilling as Abyss etc. Power Surge is kind of this, but it's still pretty thrilling for younger kids. I'm thinking something along the lines of The Shockwave at Dreamworld maybe? That would be a pretty good replacement for Bounty's Revenge - exciting and fun, but not outright scary.

The other reason i don't see the need for another major thrill ride is they don't really need it from a marketing side of things. By most reports they're doing pretty well with them hitting capacity a few times and generally very busy.

The question is whether if they don't build something new and thrilling whether that would be detrimental to crowd numbers in future years.

I reckon AW either need to do an intermediate family coaster (Eg stuff like a Wild Mouse or Family Boomerang)

Either that or a high capacity proslide....Im suprised better provision wasn't made at Kraken to have a 2nd ride making use of the belt, which would have cost a shitload.

No flat rides pls, we don't need another Aussie World or Dreamworld.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly related to mi4 but hey I’ll put it in here and keep general AW chat in here like for Goliath’s thread. 

Today was a great day at the park with @Tim Dasco with a decent amount of crowds for what was a very hot day for the first half of the day and than which became very overcast. Great to see that the dragons kingdom characters are out and about every morning on weekends taking photos with people and that the photography team are always around the park taking photos of people around the park and especially on Goliath as it doesn’t have a photography system as it’s a pendulum ride.

Staff were full of enthusiasm as always braving the heat throughout the day and also entertaining the crouds filling the park. Big shoutout to Boden and Pamela for always interacting with guests and being kind to everyone. The AW staff team will be loosing one of their kindest and most interactive team members today, Pam who will be leaving the team due to personal reasons. Also a big shoutout to Shannon in the fairy floss cart for serving tens of families when the park had closed all by herself trying to ensure everyone could leave the park by 5:30pm.

Overall an AWesome day and couldn’t really be fucked reviewing my overall experience today because well, it’s the same thing I would write all the time anyways. (If you want my real reviews, hit up the AW 2017 - Goliath thread)

(P.S. Hey AW staff team! :))

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...