Adventure World MI4 - 2019

Tim Dasco

9 hours ago, iwerks said:

The Mods are free to divide this thread up into what they want. @Richard do your thing!

I'm just gonna put all my replies, posts, comments, observations, witty GIFs and Wonderland references in this thread. It's Richard's job to fix it how he wants, right?

Time to quit your day job @Slick - you're gonna have some work to do!

• Like 1

Even if the name was changed to something along the lines of 'Adventure world - Mi4 and general discussion' the clarification would be there. It's unrealistic that this will become a mega thread as mi3 and general park talk is nothing like combining a Gold Coast park update thread with a construction thread. 

• Like 4

its still unrelated and misleading. 'general updates' - and when its time to find something that someone said about that thing we talked about three years ago, we've got mountains of photos and posts and shit to wade through (including this discussion) to try and find it, instead of just searching for "tim's trip report January 2019"

We now have an 'updates' or 'maintenance' thread for "2019" for 4-5 different parks. Fuuuuuuu.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AlexB said:

its still unrelated and misleading. 'general updates' - and when its time to find something that someone said about that thing we talked about three years ago, we've got mountains of photos and posts and shit to wade through (including this discussion) to try and find it, instead of just searching for "tim's trip report January 2019"

We now have an 'updates' or 'maintenance' thread for "2019" for 4-5 different parks. Fuuuuuuu.....

I see your point. If this was a movie world thread or something yes, maybe then split it up into individual trip reports. Just a bit unnecessary on a thread about a small park like AW from which we have had 54 topic posts over the whole summer. Anyway, Tim made a new one, LOL

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick visit to AW, this afternoon. It was humid with temperatures in the mid 30s. One worker reckoned there was about 3500 people at the park. 

Noticed some extra lime green pipes sticking up out of the ground between Kraken and the old Bounty’s Revenge. There’s a big of litter in the old circus site, but there could be some white markers towards the left of the area, just down from Bounty’s.

41C57537-C8FB-4B4B-B6E7-06A443D3E7A8.jpeg

3436EABD-DBA2-4302-98F4-C1FBBE90F2B9.jpeg

E38A57A4-619A-49FF-ABD6-F171D8A4C17D.jpeg

D2E9FCBE-1203-4136-B198-6E9A0590D569.jpeg

4261F619-0F2C-4496-8204-279ACA617E80.jpeg

E7A40A68-EC3A-4F7A-803A-A075C0D2CD35.jpeg

43798652-C62E-4428-8CAE-535EF80F186D.jpeg

2C9684F5-A110-4A10-8564-DF145A043FC5.jpeg

37F60ECE-29F6-48EE-80AF-A74493EDE7E2.jpeg

AEAB441B-F3FC-4372-8633-7C2D3D1F10C2.jpeg

54FECC16-9B92-4F10-B032-36E7B25B1509.jpeg

• Like 3

If MI4 ends up being another proslide (which these markers look to indicate) I think it’s very likely a proslide that will utilise the Kraken conveyer raft and come out next to Kraken on that flat bit and the markers are for piping leading to the pump room.

if it is another proslide my bets are on a bowl 60 tho I would love to see a bowl and wall hybrid.

11 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

The fact that they did that to a HUSS Pirate still offends me!

You mean, immortalising it in the park's history, rather than putting an oxy torch through the middle of it and wiping it out of the park altogether?

11 hours ago, Adam C said:

Top Snooping iwerks. I’m guessing there’s nothing yet at the top of the hill.  Could this be the start of Mi4?

Was there really a need for you to quote every picture all over again?

Positive news @iwerks - good to see the park hasn't completely lost its momentum when Mark departed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

Positive news @iwerks - good to see the park hasn't completely lost its momentum when Mark departed.

It's easier to run a theme park when the owners are willing to spend money.   I can only imagine the fights Craig Davidson encountered trying to get any money out of Ardent.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

The fact that they did that to a HUSS Pirate still offends me!

The ride was 30 years old when closed! Rides only come with a 30 year shelf life. Give or take. It’s good to see the park remove the ride then to try and keep it going and the ride becoming not safe.

50 minutes ago, Tim Dasco said:

The ride was 30 years old when closed! Rides only come with a 30 year shelf life. Give or take. It’s good to see the park remove the ride then to try and keep it going and the ride becoming not safe.

53275070_566427787168400_838976632926900

This Huss Break Dance is celebrating 31 years this year. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx_a-i0yoyCcbQ9S1Z5C7

Also celebrating 31 years this year is the Huss Circus Circus, refurbished completely in 2018. 

Yes as people know I’m a massive Huss fanboy, these things are built stronger than any ride on the market today. It’s simple really, you put money and care into a machine then it’s going to have a lifespan exceeding 30 years. Our Huss Ranger has been running since 1988, and is still operational, as is Wittingslows Huss Pirate which is from the 70s.

I was moreso commenting on the fact that they kept the boat and used it as theming, whereas it probably could have been sold to another park to be refurbed and worked again. 

Edited by HussRainbow87

8 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

If MI4 ends up being another proslide (which these markers look to indicate) I think it’s very likely a proslide that will utilise the Kraken conveyer raft and come out next to Kraken on that flat bit and the markers are for piping leading to the pump room.

if it is another proslide my bets are on a bowl 60 tho I would love to see a bowl and wall hybrid.

Yep, Adventure World would be a good fit for a bowl slide. A Boomerango or Tantrum-style slide would be a good choice also but I can see the bowl going in first.

On the topic of Bountys, it was an old ride when it closed. When they shuttered Bountys, the ride wasn't in great condition. It is good to know unlike any other theme park in Australia, Adventure World actually kept part of the ride as a theming element within the park. I'd like to see more of our parks doing that. For example when Corkscrew was removed, Sea World could have kept one of the corkscrews (or both) and placed it at the gate similar to Alton Towers. Or Dreamworld integrating Wipeout's wave structure and/or the old surfboards into their new seating area.

Edited by Baconjack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HussRainbow87 said:

53275070_566427787168400_838976632926900

This Huss Break Dance is celebrating 31 years this year. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQx_a-i0yoyCcbQ9S1Z5C7

Also celebrating 31 years this year is the Huss Circus Circus, refurbished completely in 2018. 

Yes as people know I’m a massive Huss fanboy, these things are built stronger than any ride on the market today. It’s simple really, you put money and care into a machine then it’s going to have a lifespan exceeding 30 years. Our Huss Ranger has been running since 1988, and is still operational, as is Wittingslows Huss Pirate which is from the 70s.

I was moreso commenting on the fact that they kept the boat and used it as theming, whereas it probably could have been sold to another park to be refurbed and worked again. 

Yeah, the parts were sold on to a Melbourne park. The ship looks better now too. Pirate ships have great capacity and are a good family ride, but obviously they knew Goliath was coming.

What are your thoughts on Inferno? At least they kept that one going.

I'm still yet to experience a Shot 'N' Drop, and its a shame that they didn't keep the original artwork on it, but I hear theyre a fun tower, im not a fan of drop towers, couldn't bring myself to ride the Funtime 80m Hangover Tower, but i'm all for a Shot N Drop. The S&S Shots are a good time!

Edited by HussRainbow87
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Baconjack said:

Tantrum-style slide

Sorry. they're too violent.

4 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

@Mark Shaw said it awhile ago. Sure their are exepctions but that is their rough time span.

I'm sorry Tim - I know you follow much of what Mark says, and I have a lot of respect for the guy and his time in the industry (and I wish more park management in this country had that sort of experience) but 30 years is not a 'rough time span' applied as a blanket across every ride made ever.

Further, the 30 year mark, on some attractions, is just the time for a major overhaul \ refurb - as @HussRainbow87 mentioned above.

There are many factors - how hard they work and how often. how well they are maintained. what climate they operate in.

Wonderland ran for almost 20 years. Many of its opening day attractions were second hand, mostly shipped out of Paramount parks in the USA or Canada to make way for an exciting new attraction. When Wonderland closed, several were packed up and shipped to Malaysia to operate at Sunway lagoon.

According to RCDB, there is 11 pages of roller coasters still operating today in their original position, that opened before 1989. At 24 results per page, that's 264 exceptions to the rule, without counting flat rides.

If you have that many exceptions, its not a rule. Its not even a guideline.

7 hours ago, AlexB said:

Further, the 30 year mark, on some attractions, is just the time for a major overhaul \ refurb - as @HussRainbow87 mentioned above.

I'm highly likely to be wrong here but didn't they try to do a refurb of BR but couldn't source the parts? Feel like I'm getting a bit confused with inferno......

And with the likely location of mi4 being discovered, what do you guys think will happen to the castle area? Is it really worth AW keeping a decrepit island with a swamp and a castle in the middle of the park if it's only going to be used on two weekends in a season?