Adventure World 2018- improvements

Tim Dasco

On 14/04/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mark Shaw said:

Spiders are naturally occurring and would be present in Druidic times. I think the web adds to the effect . Its a pretty impressive web!

I think you 'spun' a similar story to us when the ride envelope was overgrown and unkempt - but the reality of it was that it didn't look nice.

I'd counter the argument that the druids were so powerful that spiders would not have dared to have built a web on them...

its not being maintained well. it honestly wouldn't take much attention to clear the cobwebs... literally and figuratively...

4 hours ago, AlexB said:

"we haven't bothered to do basic cleaning and maintenance here"

On the bright side, atleast Wild West Falls.. I mean Abyss, isn’t closed for a whole year whilst they do some minor maintenance such as removing some spider webs. 

4 hours ago, Tim Dasco said:

I would say they look pretty real.

Agreed. Best cobweb theming I’ve seen at a so-called “fun fair”.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AlexB said:

Who called it a funfair? I certainly didn't.

He’s probably referring to:

If we're going to say that "if every ride has a theme, whether or not it fits with the ride next to it, then that makes it a theme park" then i'd like for you to visit the Sydney Royal Easter Show, one of the finest theme parks that New South Wales has to offer.”

1.I think he’s just venting.

2.We know you can’t get offended.

😜

• Like 1

Things to note from today:

-Wasn’t the busiest in park today due to being a colder day, warmed up throughout the day and Waterslides began to gain a queue 

-Abyss testing until around 10:30am, seeming as if the trains where struggling to make it over the overbanked turn following immalmen loop after main drop

-New grass laid next to exit of Goliath, fenced off with temporary boundary, making it difficult to jump back in line after getting off

-Inferno running it’s usual cycle today, 3 shots~ 1 drop

• Like 2

I say good on them for things being fixed so quickly after they break. I've seen other parks leave temp fixes and dirt around for months if not years.

And I think to say they fixed it because it was mentioned here is probably giving ourselves too much credit. 

• Like 1

Things to note from today:

-Was decently busy today in park despite the overcast weather that Perth had experienced today

-Guests weren’t granted access to the park until approximately 10:20am this morning for unknown reasons, this included season pass holders entering through the season pass entry gate who usually can enter the park from 9:45am

-All rides were open throughout the day excluding the chairlift in which opened at 11 and closed at around 3, Inferno opened at around 11 as always

-After riding Inferno a few times and realising we were doing 5 shots ~ 0 drops, I decided to ask the ride operator why we weren’t doing any drops, she answered with, drops are broken, when we activate the drop cycle, the ride stops

-Kahuna Falls’ water affects throughout the whole attraction shut in the middle of the day for about 20 minutes whilst lifeguards and maintenance worked on filling a small ‘hole’ that had been punctured in the fibreglass waterslides at the top of the water playground

• Like 1

Had an excellent time with the awesome Parkz people @ABYSS and @Tim Dasco. The place was busy, today, for the second last day of the season. As Abyss said above, Inferno was only doing shots and Chairlift closed early at two (although it did open early as well). Tim managed to sneak in his 150th ride on Goliath. The wait time for Abyss was a couple of minutes and Kraken, probably around 10. It seems Black Widow is off for the season.

The staff were in a good mood - and were impressed by how often Tim and Abyss go there. There were lots of first timers going to the park - some people weren’t familiar with the rules. I saw a large group of Chinese people guffawing at the vertical drop on Abyss, the roller coaster. 

The wildlife area got some love and attention in the last couple of weeks, with some new railings. It looks like Dudley, the emu, will spend her off season near the pond. I got to talk to the keeper, and it seems like they will have an interactive area for the female Kangaroos there, next season. Great to see this neglected area of the park getting some attention. Feeding Dudley was very cool - definitely the gentlest emu I’ve met.

Kahuna Cafe was the busiest I’ve seen it in sometime. The restaurant area is something that has been left largely untouched and would be great it if it had a tenant next season. Everyone’s been impressed by the food offerings, like the salads and sushi, imagine how much time and money they would spend if there was a restaurant like Rick’s at MW. If it’s raining in the park, people could hang out there until the skies clear. 

AW currently has its rapids tube ride, but a lazy river would certainly be welcome. Tim has lots of exciting theories about the next stage of development, but only time will tell. We had an awesome season and can’t wait for September.

AB2A94A9-633D-44D6-A406-BCBD85FFAC63.jpeg

2CC4EC0D-BF74-4922-B9A2-A7E437F0889D.jpeg

CF37C903-5304-4D7B-8227-98F6A5BB353D.jpeg

4E3E0AA7-5FA0-4109-992D-6AB6077C2E4F.jpeg

41C3E957-8941-4D15-83EA-B0FE9F0BC23C.jpeg

F65FF962-6122-4E45-957C-DED6A77284BB.jpeg

B46679E0-8FFA-4EEF-9AAC-C6AF974674C5.jpeg

BFD122AA-F133-48F9-858B-7DDFB9EA9689.jpeg

B3D116DB-E4CB-4257-BD97-D6CC028DFBD6.jpeg

C5147B3E-F992-4139-8735-72CBBF89A8E8.jpeg

Edited by iwerks
  • Like 5

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So creative works over the last month have posted some images on Instagram. Seems like a lot of general presentation works are happening around the park. Considering they spent 9 million dollars last year. Makes sense for them to save there pennies. 

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.5a24754f9a182afd10a30b569a645b52.JPG

IMG_4139.thumb.JPG.c043e6daa2946ad5105e771de5ed98c9.JPG

IMG_4140.thumb.JPG.523220ef5d19d0a6b66e720360211f7a.JPG

IMG_4142.thumb.JPG.8bf3387e8ec8508990540da621c52483.JPG

IMG_4342.thumb.PNG.4e9462a908228b27505f6a47abb4442e.PNGIMG_4143.thumb.JPG.c6f8d8b5e84d7ac7a57e64c693b0d7cd.JPG

Worth noting I went passed Adventure World today. Nothing major happening. Although a few minor points:

- looks like some new shade added to the top half of the hill and all the way through to the Kraken queue line.

- Work happening on the rail rider and Kahuna falls.

IMG_4422.thumb.PNG.df378ad7d867354a7b81e25c939076f3.PNG

IMG_4421.PNG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've had three trips to the park this season. Tim has brought you up to date on most things. Here's a few things I've learnt.

They've really screwed up the membership system, this season. I bought my Platinum pass pretty early on - got my print out - that was it. First time I went, they said 'there's been a few hiccups, my number's wrong and you should hear something soon.' Nothing. Next visit: they took my photo and typed in my email address and said I would hear from them soon. Nothing. Third visit, I'm stuck behind a few people getting their photo taken and getting cards printed out with the hopeful message: 'I should be getting a care package soon.'

Tim purchased his platinum pass after me and has had his stuff for about a month. I look forward to the next part of the saga.

Surf Shack and the animal area have been closed since the start of the season. There doesn't appear to be any obvious work on either and today I found out that this is the Aussie Wildlife Experience's last season. I have no idea if it will reopen. Apparently, the area you view the koalas from experienced some trouble during one of winter's storms. I know the keeper's are still about, as Tim and I saw Amie on one of our last visits, where she went and saved a long necked tortoise that we had discovered. As much as I'll regret the closin of this area, it is heavily underutilised and would be expensive to run. If they're goping to use it along with the land next door for a new land, then good for them. 

There's been no concrete news about Fright Nights except that they're expecting to hold this event later in the season. Currently, the weather is pretty rubbish (as it was for last year's Fright Nights), so maybe this isn't a bad decision. There has been very little word about Fright Nights, allowing other places (King Carnival's Screamfest and its haunt attraction) to get a bit of a jump on the competition. Adventure World will be holding its junior event, Halloween Spooctacular next weekend.

A few minor changes - the viewing area around Skull Rock looks great. There's more signage around the Grand Prix go-karts. The Black Widow has had some TLC. There's now a machine for Abyss' photos. Inferno has been working this season! The Tiki Bar area looks great, although it has been closed. The upper balcony has also has been blocked off.

It was very quiet, today, raining quite heavily for some of the time I was there. There were a few people swimming, regardless.

PA211133.JPG

PA211229.JPG

PA211142.JPG

PA211147.JPG

PA211152.JPG

PA211156.JPG

PA211176.JPG

PA211178.JPG

PA211180.JPG

PA211188.JPG

PA211209.JPG

PA211219.JPG

PA211237.JPG

PA050021.JPG

Edited by iwerks
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

Tim and I were at Adventure World, today. It was relatively busy as the forecast was in the low to mid 30s. The Kraken time board was reporting waits of 20 minutes and it was fairly close to the mark. Wait times for Abyss and Inferno were around 5 minutes. The queues for the waterslides were quite long, so we spent a bit of time in the pool and on some sun lounges.

The animal area was quiet, although it does look like they’ve split the kangaroo mob in two, with the females and joeys in one half, so they can get them used to hand feeding.

The only thing that really bugged me, today, was that the bar area was closed and we couldn’t eat up there, which meant there was limited seating for lunch.

Otherwise Perth had perfect water park weather all weekend. I passed Kalamunda Water Park on Saturday and they seemed to be doing quite well too.

FB2BAE0B-59F4-4379-A2B0-575B7E8ED829.jpeg

3F09972A-14E5-45E1-912F-C25B8F7EFD49.jpeg

34691A79-794D-4092-91E2-A8BA2AFA299C.jpeg

826733B0-F02F-4E5D-B826-C91BA562C72E.jpeg

0DCC5703-C41A-4AD6-B8B9-4B6D56BF4CFF.jpeg

2D138A56-E132-4A3E-9142-28FDBC9A2E68.jpeg

41F71665-45CB-485D-9A30-BDEA70E83169.jpeg

00A6D197-C721-4FC7-B628-6BCD7BABF2A3.jpeg

• Like 5

On 30/03/2018 at 2:58 PM, Mark Shaw said:

Did you know Goliath is the tallest gyro swing in Australia? 

Did Australia even need another Gyro Swing though?

(And did AW even need another spin n spew for that matter?)

Im curious how much taller it is compared to the claw? Like a meter or so?

Edited by Gazza

6 hours ago, Gazza said:

Did Australia even need another Gyro Swing though?

(And did AW even need another spin n spew for that matter?)

Im curious how much taller it is compared to the claw? Like a meter or so?

It's not my cup of tea, but some people really love it - @Tim Dasco - to name one. The harnesses are a real selling point more than the height. Some people don't get the chance to fly to the east coast all of the time, so this is a nice alternative. Like Kraken, a lot of people wouldn't have experienced a ride like that in Perth.

Yes, I would love less spin and spews.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adam C said:

I do wonder what the next couple of big ticket attractions might be.  There seems to be a general view that Mi4 will be a water attraction.  As for Mi5, I’d be keen on something a bit less white knuckle.  Maybe a wooden Rollercoaster or an air conditioned indoor coaster.

I definitely think they’re going for something popular that has decent capacity. I suppose the trick is to look at the cost - they’re not going to buy anything that costs more than Abyss.

I do think any park in Australia that builds decent re-rideable family rides will be on a winner.