Flyover Australia: Dreamworld registers trademark, looks to increase Flying Theatre capacity

Parkz News

Flyover Australia: Dreamworld registers trademark, looks to increase Flying Theatre capacity

An application by Dreamworld's owners to trademark the name Flyover Australia gives indications of a name. Meanwhile the park has confirmed that they are looking at increasing the capacity of the forthcoming i-Ride flying simulator ride.

Click here to continue reading

• Like 2

"Dreamworld is exploring the option of increasing the attraction’s capacity from 40 seats to 60 seats. We will confirm this in the coming months," the spokesperson told Parkz exclusively.

$50 says that's an angle put out in the various FB pages by the end of the day as fact \ news, without credit to Parkz...

Edited by AlexB
  • Like 2

Absolutely.

I predict closer to open \ initial reviews will try to hold this ride to the standard of Soarin'... and while I think that will be a little unfair - simply because of budget, i'd like to see them make some effort, and hopefully they've got some money left in the budget to 'non essential' things like theming.

As we know, it’s not identical to Soarin’ – but hopefully it is quality enough to stand on it’s own – it’d be a real boost for the park because it’s a legitimate blockbuster, but doesn’t touch on any raw nerves that might be stung by it being a thrill or water ride.. Even though there’s still mechanical elements, you don’t see GCB articles about dangerous cinema seats…

I do hope though that Dreamworld does put a little thought into presentation. Whilst the main street facade of the cinema is a classic part of their heritage - I do hope that they tastefully reinvent the facade, and suitably theme the queueline and surrounds.

Again - i don't want to suggest holding them to Disney's standard - but the area surrounding Soarin' in DCA is well themed in Aeronautical what-nots, and i'd like to see them do more than just some crappy quickshades with tyres thrown around... given "flight" will be a logical themed connection, i'd like to see them explore what they can do...

If they haven't yet settled on an idea, here's mine:

Film starts with you strapped into TailSpin, cue film of TS "taking off" - you do a couple of rotations, before another ride nearby - (claw, wipeout for example) swings towards you and jolts you free. Ride then continues with the typical scenic overflight of aussie landmarks and culture.

Hopefully they have a suitable finale - I do love how the original Disney Soarin' over California would end by arriving over the park just as fireworks let off into the night sky - but perhaps in Dreamworld's case - as you fly over australia (see what i did there), the day passes and as you return toward dreamworld by flying over the night lights of surfers - the GD\TOT lights are a beacon in the distance, and you return to your landing zone surrounded by suitable 'search lights' waving into the night sky, perhaps by a final swooping dive down the side of ToT, following the track into the tunnel where the rapidly pulsing lightshow brings you back down to the ground <fade to black>

Of course, that as a concept is pretty much cookie cutter - so you can start it off with any number of other rides in place of tailspin (although tailspin would be the most fitting) - for example:

• Flying off the top of the hill on HydroCoaster
  • Shooting out of the TOT tunnel, up the tower, and flying off the end into the sky

*i do acknowledge that there may be a certain taboo about portraying a currently operating ride as malfunctioning in such a way that riders could be flung into the sky, so while it'd be an awesome way to do it it's probably something to be avoided - the rest of the story would work well though...

The film could also interact with various Dreamworld rides in it's inevitable segment of flight over the park - including:

• flying through the middle of buzzsaw as the train rolls overhead
  • flying through the HWSW loop
  • flying through the green room funnel
  • film segue through waves of our beaches - getting dumped by a flurry of whitewater and coming out the other side at flowrider \ cave of waves

Alright, alright, this was meant to be a short agreement with @Roachie's post above, but it became something longer. Do we need a new thread for construction \ speculation of the ride? should this be moved?

I'll leave it to the mods.

• Like 1

Or how about flying over Dreamworld from over Ocean Parade where Claw is and conclude with a shot of Tower Of Terror and Giant Drop (all running?). Reckon that'd make a far better ending. People associate fireworks with Disney so it makes sense there, people don't think of Dreamworld when they think fireworks, so end on strong iconic Dreamworld imagery.

• Like 1

^Look I wasn't suggesting that the rest of Australia shouldn't feature, or be skimmed, just looking at some start and end images that could be tied to the park.

You make very good points about my thoughts, and they're all pretty fair - but just something tied into the park itself... ideally i'd see it start and end at the park in some fashion, with a full trip around the country being the meat of the ride.

yeah many of the sites have since stopped giving google the free link access, so those workarounds almost never work anymore.

What i've found is if you search the article title, and snoop around, you can find a UK news-mirror site that publishes the same article because of newswire \ AAP, and they don't have paywalls - so that sometimes works, but unfortunately not every article is republished by foreign press...

• 3 weeks later...

Cutting Edge have a I-Ride Australia web page.

http://www.cuttingedge.com.au/case-study/i-ride-australia/

Cutting Edge created a unique immersive experience for theme park technologists Brogent Technologies. Titled ‘i-Ride’ the 4D theatre allows participants to fly over iconic Australian scenery. Imagine hot air ballooning through the Barossa Valley or paragliding over Australia’s Snowy Mountains, while wind, sound, scents, light and water droplets envelop the theatre ride around you.

1777x744_iRide_Australia-1200x502.thumb.jpg.a19946e65ed64b8e0c283a924fc8a0e6.jpg

This configuration of the I-Ride on the Cutting Edge web page, I have never seen.   ((interesting)or not?))

559f84c4483cf-simworx-flying-theatre-ride-1-960x540.thumb.png.a838f236d47bf3cb560eb52c8706edf8.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Skeeta said:

This configuration of the I-Ride on the Cutting Edge web page, I have never seen.   ((interesting)or not?))

559f84c4483cf-simworx-flying-theatre-ride-1-960x540.thumb.png.a838f236d47bf3cb560eb52c8706edf8.png

Interesting find @Skeeta. I used the nifty 'search google for image' feature on the image above, to see where else that image exists on the net. Sure enough, I found that picture in an article that was published on Blooloop in Nov 2016:

https://blooloop.com/news/simworx-partners-mondial-launch-new-360-flying-theatre-attraction/

image.thumb.png.e7161dbdf05386f1852a28d896247569.png

Cutting Edge also revealed that they produced the film for Brogent Technologies. So i'm unsure why they used imagery of a ride system designed by Mondial, and distributed through Simworx?

I really like how the ride system works though, really cool entry and exit from the screen. I can imagine after boarding, all the lights go out (you can't see a thing), the arm swinging you into the screen position, and then BAM the image fades in and you're soaring through the sky.

Also, Cutting Edge writes about the i-ride project in past tense. So i'm assuming that the ride's movie has already been made? Or at least all the footage has been shot and been through picture post production?

Edited by Luke
  • Like 1

You'll find we'll get the exact same ride system as Flyover Canada - Rick Rothschild explains the process to inparkmagazine.com:

What were some of the challenges and solutions of retrofitting the building at Canada Place to house FlyOver Canada?

Any challenge one faces, whether a blank piece of paper or a preexisting facility, comes with constraints that you begin to work with. In the case of FlyOver Canada, the constraints started with the facility. This was not just a preexisting facility, but a preexisting facility on a large harbor pier several floors above pilings that also support a full convention center that sits directly below the original theater space. So there were both spatial and structural challenges to integrating our dome and ride system.

The space dictated that we could only have a dome 19m (60ft) in diameter. For comparison, each of the Soarin’ domes is around 84 ft in diameter, and the capacity of Soarin’ is 87 people. Due to the smaller dome, FlyOver‘s capacity is 61 people. There are nine vehicles (3 tiers, each with 3 vehicles) with both systems.

There are key differences between FlyOver and Soarin’ in how the dome is entered and the size of the vehicles. Soarin’ has single-level boarding, which is proprietary to that attraction. Everything at FlyOver is a bit smaller and our guests first take stairways to one of three levels outside the dome ride experience to board. The FlyOver ride support structure looks a lot like the old Hollywood Squares set, with each of the “squares” containing one of the ride vehicles.

The FlyOver building originally housed an IMAX theater. We removed the concrete floor and support structure of the theater, and drove several new columns below the convention center to support the ride.

The size of the building wasn’t the only constraint on the size of the dome. With current digital video projection technology, we would be unable to do a Soarin’ size ride without tiling multiple projectors. Practically speaking, our 60-ft dome is the maximum size for the state-of-the-art, single-projector technology we have in place to operate efficiently.

My belief was that it'd always be the kind of fit out where guests would take some stairs up to their level, they'd board, and the motion bases would slide out.

Edited by Roachie
  • Like 2

That video is so terrible because it makes all of the motions looks super jittery and not smooth. Without the camera shaking it would show that it is a pretty smooth ride.
As for the OTSR, I can understand why they would be in place as some of the dives and motion look steep. I honestly wouldn't mind an OTSR because it allows the gondola to tilt more. Being DW, I can't see them having a seatbelt or lapbar restraint system because as we've already seen *cough* log cages, shockwave noose *cough* DW purposefully try to restrict you as much as possible by adding extra restraints.

I would much prefer it have to just have a seatbelt, but for me a bigger issue is that you may not get the same expirenece from every seat. From my experience on Soarin Over The World some parts of the video look weird sitting in different spots (other than the middle), such as the Eiffel Tower (It looks like a piece of spaghetti) which is because of the spherical screen. I really hope dreamworld do not have this problem.

Edited by Mc coaster