Adventure World's Inferno - downtime and future

ABYSS

7 minutes ago, djrappa said:

That Inferno ride has to be the greatest piece of shit ever.

It's a really great ride WHEN it's operating. It did well last season and the first half of this season. But now it seems like there is a major problem again as the tower went back up and down again. 

Thats what you get with a 30 year old Huss prototype from Germany. Hopfully they can get it running by AW Nights tommorow.

• Like 1

I don't think they're ready for an intamin giant drop. for what they are, they're better off with a hair raiser type tower. Mainly because it's cheaper.

As for "mi7" and "2025" I predict AW is going to have a very big slow down in their developments... they can still call them "MI" but the M will more likely stand for "minimal"... I don't think they've got the ability to keep their previous stamina going - and anything beyond 2020 is pure pipe dream.

1 hour ago, AlexB said:

I don't think they're ready for an intamin giant drop. for what they are, they're better off with a hair raiser type tower. Mainly because it's cheaper.

As for "mi7" and "2025" I predict AW is going to have a very big slow down in their developments... they can still call them "MI" but the M will more likely stand for "minimal"... I don't think they've got the ability to keep their previous stamina going - and anything beyond 2020 is pure pipe dream.

But not as pipe dream as your comments. Isn't Hair Raiser half the capacity?

On 23/02/2018 at 5:07 PM, iwerks said:

But not as pipe dream as your comments. Isn't Hair Raiser half the capacity?

Oh do untwist your knickers. This isn't Dreamworld where capacity is desperately needed.

A fully functioning hair raiser type tower would still be carrying more guests than a broken down Inferno.

At 360pph theoretical, its not too dissimilar to Goliath's 400pph. A 2x8 gondola giant drop is only hitting 500pph. Dreamworld is regularly operating only one side in off peak, so at 250pph - is it really worth the extra money to go Intamin?

6 hours ago, AlexB said:

Oh do untwist your knickers. This isn't Dreamworld where capacity is desperately needed.

A fully functioning hair raiser type tower would still be carrying more guests than a broken down Inferno.

At 360pph theoretical, its not too dissimilar to Goliath's 400pph. A 2x8 gondola giant drop is only hitting 500pph. Dreamworld is regularly operating only one side in off peak, so at 250pph - is it really worth the extra money to go Intamin?

Just wondering what you're basing all your predictions on, that's all.

There are quite a few choices of drop towers that are similar size and capacity to Inferno. I don't see them downgrading it just to make you happy.

Edited by iwerks
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, iwerks said:

Just wondering what you're basing all your predictions on, that's all.

As I usually do - facts and research. All the figures quoted come either from Parkz or the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, iwerks said:

There are quite a few choices of drop towers that are similar size and capacity to Inferno. I don't see them downgrading it just to make you happy.

Yes of course, there are many towers out there. Tim made the suggestion that he'd like to see them get an Intamin version like falcons fury. It's quite at the top of the scale in terms of the range, and realistically is probably not something within AW's budget. (I mean - yes, they can probably fund\finance it, but would it deliver the bang for buck that they're getting in Busch Gardens. The ROI just isn't there yet.

I don't want to turn this into yet another debate of "AW is or isn't this or that" because i've already reached the conclusion that you're very protective over your local park, and always defend it against even the most well reasoned arguments.

But it's no busch gardens. And I don't consider the Larson tower to be a 'downgrade'... at least it would work! (and for the general population of the park, replacing an old ride that breaks down constantly with a new one thats shiny, and has a pretty impressive LED lighting package that AW could really make use of - that would honestly be an ICON on the skyline of the park (and be seen all around too) - I don't see why you'd consider it to be a downgrade.

It's affordable in comparison, and similar enough that you could plonk it down, call it 'inferno 2', give it the same colour scheme, go all out with the LED light package - and I'd challenge you to find a single person in the park who would consider it to be 'inferior' (besides tim or yourself).

I just don't see them being able to sustain their current growth is all.

Even VRTP we typically discuss how 'this is sea world's year' or 'movie world got X and Y so now it's Sea World's turn for something new' - and that's three very high profile parks in one of the biggest tourism (especially domestic tourism) hotspots in the country.

I wouldn't say what i've been saying is 'dire' (once again the defence against even the most reasonable arguments) - i'm simply saying that i can't see them maintaining their current stamina, and I envisage a slowdown.

Dire would be that they're selling off the land, demolishing the park, and putting up a parking lot... or something... so i don't think "i predict they'll ease off the pedal a bit going forward" can be classed as dire.

Have you ever tried glass? I hear its far more effective than rose coloured glasses... not every comment about AW needs to be defended like I just called your mother a dirty word.

If I was running the show at AW, I would be selling or scrapping the current HUSS Inferno asap. There's nothing particularly special about HUSS towers, so for me I see no point in keeping it.

I'd replace it with a new S&S combo tower that performs both the Space Shot and Turbo Drop motions on one tower. Which will set it apart from Batwing, as it only performs the space shot sequence. OR I'd get a double tower from S&S and set tower 1 to perform the space shot motion, and tower 2 to perform the turbo drop motion. The 2 towers would help with capacity, and provides 2 different experiences.

image.thumb.png.1a4c2728b3ef776f99bbb5e80bf31fb4.pngimage.thumb.png.1c54f3071bee4b6685b26e362415073f.png

• Like 2

Agreed with @AlexB - the park is very well rounded now, it's really not lacking anything major, especially for a regional park. Six Flags showed us explosive growth isn't good for business anyway, so I have no problem if they wanted to take a few years off and go to work on improving their assets to give people more reasons to return during the season.

I personally see a good solid kids IP as a great way to get their kids rides doing more business, and to spend a small amount on kid's waterslides (like Wet 'n' Wild's Junior) would be a great way to go, especially if it's rolled into that IP. I'd also say that one or two more non-major waterslides (bodyflumes or raft rides) wouldn't go amiss either. Small spend, solid impact and the more rides you can go on with a group of mates, the more reasons you're giving larger groups to all buy season passes.

Edited by Roachie

@AlexB

At least I have glasses! I didn't know you knew Steve Sicerich or had been talking to the staff there?

Why compare AW with the GC? Steve Sicerich does what he pleases. You don't see me making concrete predictions about what the park is going to do, because like everyone else, I don't know either, but I don't say the MI are going to stop based on no evidence whatsoever. 

Your arrogance is astounding. Every chance you have to put down any park outside the GC you seem to take it. 

• Like 3

Just gonna post this, these are quotes from Andrew in an article I posted in the MI4 thread.  https://www.businessnews.com.au/article/Fun-park-rides-on-40m-investment?destination=node/384958

As a result, he said the park had a strong focus on planning for the future, investing almost $40 million over the past seven years into delivering a series of rides across the near 200,000 square metre park.

"Theme parks are complex businesses, "Mr Sharry told Business News. "They demand capital and rejuvenation; you need to continually reinvest to give people a new reason to come, to inspire their imagination. To be a serious theme park, you need to have a serious roller-coaster."

"We're fortunate that our owners have an intimate understanding of that, developing the park and seeing it grow."

Mr Sharry said the business planned to continue its major capital spends every two years and was currently assessing several options for its next investment.

Mr Sharry said while the private business did not disclose yearly visitors numbers, it had experienced a growth over the past 5 years.

"We're not going to rest on our laurels, we're going to continue to improve, "he said.

"I've seen WA maturing in its understanding of the contribution tourism can make to the economy, to jobs and the like, and I think that's something Adventure World can contribute to, it's part of our strategy moving forward. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, iwerks said:

@AlexB

At least I have glasses! I didn't know you knew Steve Sicerich or had been talking to the staff there?

Why compare AW with the GC? Steve Sicerich does what he pleases. You don't see me making concrete predictions about what the park is going to do, because like everyone else, I don't know either, but I don't say the MI are going to stop based on no evidence whatsoever. 

Your arrogance is astounding. Every chance you have to put down any park outside the GC you seem to take it. 

Who said anything I said was concrete? Am I not allowed to express an opinion different to yours?

And I never said the MI series would 'stop' (although I do think they should stop with the whole 'MI' thing and just announce a new ride when it happens.

As you say - you don't know either - so your opinion is just as educated as mine, and we're both entitled to express them.

On 23/02/2018 at 3:35 PM, AlexB said:

Nowhere in there did I say "stop". Nowhere in there did I say it was based on anything solid, but just my own views an opinions after visiting parks, working in parks, and talking to people who know things.

I'll agree that AW Is a different model to most parks given it's funding arrangements, so sure, much of what I take into consideration may not apply to it in the same way, and i'm happy to be proven wrong. I'd love to see the little park grow... however as @Roachie points out - rapid massive expenditure cannot be sustained, and i'd hate for the park to suffer because they spent beyond their means.

I have no ending for this so i'll just leave off with this.

23 hours ago, AlexB said:

Oh do untwist your knickers.

16 hours ago, AlexB said:

I don't want to turn this into yet another debate of "AW is or isn't this or that" because i've already reached the conclusion that you're very protective over your local park, and always defend it against even the most well reasoned arguments.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iwerks said:

If you post in this thread, this is the response you'll get.

Precisely my point about your rose coloured glasses. Now you're not even allowing for the particular sentiments expressed - you're just saying its a foregone conclusion.

You're not even reading what i'm saying. You're only seeing what you want to see. I'm not the only one expressing this opinion, which is not (as i've pointed out repeatedly) the negative one you accuse me of.

Sorry sonny jim - i'm an old fart who has no idea what you're talking about with that snapchat crap - so just talk in normal english, if your generation is capable of doing so.

And thanks. I consider D-grade a compliment from such an esteemed and qualified critic as yourself.

Edited by AlexB