Jamberoo's Online Park Map Upgraded

Jamberoo Fan

Judging by how excited @Jamberoo Fan is about a live chat plugin on the website, I get this vibe like he now works for the park.... ;)

Anyway, we'll gloss over the marketing copy, here's my honest thoughts:

For starters - the website is totally fine and up to spec for 2018. Most websites have live chat portals and most of them have & should be decent enough to handle different screen sizes, so by comparison to say Sea World's website, it's incredible, but up against 99% of what most outsourced Wordpress developers make these days it's par for the course. Not poo-poo-ing Jamberoo's site at all, just setting the bar appropriately. It's solid, and it's doing exactly what it should be doing.

Looking at the map page - the map itself is a great map, because at the end of the day, it's function to get me from point A to point B is clear and concise.

Now, onto the VR stuff - firstly I had to come back to your post to figure out what to look for just to open the VR portals which suggest to me that everyday guests who aren't as proactive as me will be clicking through and not bothering. Jamberoo should check their analytics on this and improve the UX accordingly. Also, being real here - the VR stuff is a passing trend, not a mainstream thing (Forbes, The Verge, Esquire & Wired have all written about VR being a trend) - plus, the VR stuff would be good if when I clicked on it, it wasn't taking me to see things like this:

5a961509f221e_Screenshot2018-02-2812_18_48.thumb.jpg.38e3c2b8f61aba5e913d4b9b72cafc75.jpg

No customer will care about or want to click on VR / normal pictures of carparks, tables or retail spaces. And that's where my I think they could improve - I speak from first hand experience, no amount of flashy, cool ideas or design will ever replace quality photo & video that's wrapped in great design & marketing. For the same cost as a VR company coming in to do stuff like the above (i've seen prices ranging from 10k right up to 70k, so we'll just say 20k to be safe) you could have photography that would last the park 5+ years and film content that could be spread out over 12 months, net more engagement overall and would deliver at least double the ROI. Then simply wrap that in a more cleaner, modern corporate brand and WNWS would be rightfully concerned.

Edited by Roachie

I'd say it's a rope @AlexB

On 2/28/2018 at 1:45 PM, Roachie said:

Judging by how excited @Jamberoo Fan is about a live chat plugin on the website, I get this vibe like he now works for the park.... ;)

No, I don't work for the park. Also @Roachie, remember the Virtual Tour & the virtual reality headset mode are 2 separate things. I'd say the VR headset mode was just an extra feature at little or no cost.

• 1 month later...

Didn't realise this until now but Jamberoo's smartphone applications for iOS & Android were also updated in January to include the Virtual Tour feature & some other small improvements.

Also, Sydney Weekender visited Jamberoo in early April. They captured pretty good footage from inside The Perfect Storm (from 01:01 to 01:34) with the lighting effects (themed to lightning) seen very clearly:

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 8:00 PM, Jamberoo Fan said:

...Jamberoo has made some small changes to their website...

...Jamberoo has added a 'live chat' feature.

I believe the 'live chat' feature has been removed from Jamberoo's website at least sometime in the last month.

The 'live chat' feature wasn't staffed all the time. I can't remember exactly when it wasn't staffed but evenings (which is understandable) & weekends (which is odd as that is Jamberoo's peak operational period during the season) is what comes to mind. I assume it was staffed the rest of the time (during weekday business hours at least). If it's removal wasn't because they couldn't staff it all the time, either not enough website visitors were using it or it was a website feature that was inadvertently added. That or it's temporarily off the website due to the off-season.

However, here is some neat marketing from Jamberoo showing how much they value their customers. I believe DW did something similar in the months after the Thunder River Rapids incident but clearly the context is different. As most of you can gather, Jamberoo's season recently finished so they posted this on social media (Here is their Facebook post) :

This wasn't just posted on their social media, it was also published on their website's home page as well as in Sydney newspapers with a half-page advertisement.

As far as I know, it hasn't appeared (yet) in Illawarra newspapers so it seems Jamberoo has targeted this 'thank you' notice particularly to Sydneysiders.

And with a particular competitor located in that market known as Wet 'n' Wild Sydney, whose attendance & revenues are ever decreasing, the last thing that park needs is more people visiting Jamberoo because they appreciate their customers more.

Wet 'n' Wild Sydney did do something similar though (Here is their Facebook post) :

However, whilst their post does say 'thank you', the image itself doesn't & thus, doesn't look like it was intended to appear in any newspapers. It looks mainly designed for marketing on the Internet.

Also, Jamberoo thanked their customers for 'visiting' whilst Wet 'n' Wild Sydney thanked them for 'making this season so awesome'.

If according to Wet 'n' Wild Sydney, it's the customers that are making the park 'awesome', maybe they should listen to them more often? It seems their customers know better than they do on how to run the park.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan

Yeah, I agree @AlexB but you would just think out of courtesy they would also thank Illawarra residents via their local newspapers too. (I know they did thank them via social media and financially, it does save on marketing costs not doing an extra newspaper advertisement given it's their most loyal audience. However, that could be a sign they are starting to take their local visitors for granted)

On 13/05/2018 at 12:15 AM, Jamberoo Fan said:

Yeah, I agree @AlexB but you would just think out of courtesy they would also thank Illawarra residents via their local newspapers too. (I know they did thank them via social media and financially, it does save on marketing costs not doing an extra newspaper advertisement given it's their most loyal audience. However, that could be a sign they are starting to take their local visitors for granted)

Jamberoo may have sent out a 'Thank You' email to their database.

Hey @Jamberoo Fan are there any whispers from the park or other sources that this year will be a further expansion to the park? Its over 2 years now since we have had the Perfect Storm? I would love to see the Action Rapid River be the next attraction. If this turns out anything like the one at Volcano Bay in Orlando then it will be a brilliant move. TeAwa the Fearless River is hands down the best River attraction at any water park I have been on and nearly the best thing at Volcano Bay.

8 hours ago, Jobe said:

Hey @Jamberoo Fan are there any whispers from the park or other sources that this year will be a further expansion to the park?

No whispers yet. However:

In the end, there is no firm confirmation yet on whether or not Jamberoo is building anything new this year.