Jamberoo Fan

Thunder River Rapids Incident Coronial Inquest

540 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, webslave said:

Stuff like this is rarely the fault of one person or group, be it management nor the ride ops.

Except for the case where DW management have clearly shown how how shit they are.

MISSING conveyor slats, excessive corrosion, crumbling concrete. WHSQ report found the doomed Thunder River Rapids should never have been operating at the time of the tragedy.

I had a feeling JAK would be unresponsive to coroner requests. They were in charge of the structural and mechanical inspections but were found to be cutting corners. It's not just that they are a dodgy audit company, it's that Dreamworld Management also knew they were a dodgy audit company and did nothing.

5 hours ago, webslave said:

Personally, I think the test should be whether you knew - or should have known - that the decision you made materially increased the risk of serious injury or death occurring.

Ergo;

• If you were denied the funding to complete an upgrade to safety/control components then the decision was not yours, therefore you are not culpable.
  • Allowing a ride to return to operation several times following an intermittent fault may not make you culpable if you could demonstrate that you were unaware that doing so materially increased the risk of serious injury or death occurring (which would be a fairly high bar, but how many of us before now would have linked a pump failure with an accident like this? After all, as far as we were aware it's never happened in all the years of operation)
  • If you knew the state of the safety infrastructure on a ride was deficient and knew this deficiency increased the risk of serious injury or death but either neglected to report it or down-played the risk when reporting it you are culpable.

The company, as they testified at the inquest, has a policy in place that the ride pumps were not to be restarted multiple times. They also testified how important water levels are from a safety standpoint. Not only that, but they also testified that they knew there was a problem with the pumps and had an expert tasked with coming to inspect them. On top of that, they knew the age of the units too, and had a history of faults occurring during the month leading up to the deaths.

So even after experts have testified they had very, very poor documentation or procedures in place, what poor practices they thought they should adhere to, were ignored by managers anyway. Given the history and the fact that you thought it frequent enough to have an external company come to inspect/repair them, if you continually had faults after the fact the proper decision was to close the ride until the problem could be rectified.

Opening it, knowing all this is negligence. Even if for a moment you could prove the operators didnt shut the ride down properly. The park is still negligent for returning it to service multiple times creating the situation in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Is JAK still trading @Jdude95?

if they are based overseas, even if they are, a judgement handed down against them in australia would basically prohibit them from trading in the country again under threat of staff being arrested at the airport, BUT if you actually wanted anything out of them you would have to file a motion in the court based in their home territory and probably have it go to trial. So you'd have to fight another legal battle in another country under their system/rules, which means all the testimony, all the witnesses, etc would probably have to be presented again.

So thats probably not going to happen, but it would be nice if they were effectively blocked from providing services within the country.

Edited by Levithian
  • Fountain of Improbability 1

I've been trying to locate details on JAK. I'm not sure if THIS is the correct company but it's the only company under the name of JAK that works in construction. Their website states that they are based in Doha, Qatar. I found the company on Linkedin but it says they are based in Illinois and have a link that leads back to the same website as before. If this is the same company, they are still in business but it seems that they may have moved their office or they are trying to not be so public after the shit hit the fan at DW

3 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

@LevithianThat's not what I was asking.

And my reply is basically saying if they are, the direct fallout, other than word of mouth/reputation is pretty much nill anyway.

• Fountain of Improbability 2

10 minutes ago, Jdude95 said:

I've been trying to locate details on JAK. I'm not sure if THIS is the correct company but it's the only company under the name of JAK that works in construction. Their website states that they are based in Doha, Qatar. I found the company on Linkedin but it says they are based in Illinois and have a link that leads back to the same website as before. If this is the same company, they are still in business but it seems that they may have moved their office or they are trying to not be so public after the shit hit the fan at DW

When you lookup the name registra for the website you listed, their domain name servers point to ones based in Qatar (W3QATAR.NET) too.

Edited by Levithian

If DW were working closely with JAK, that could explain how Bob got sent to Doha. JAK must have had a very close relationship with DW so that when they decided to get rid of Bob, they were able to pull some strings with JAK and send him into another job instead of risking him spilling the beans about the park if they fired him. Would also explain how JAK were doing dodgy audits for so long.

Qatar is a massively developing country, it's the new Dubai in terms of development so a lot of companies are picking up and moving operations to over there. That could be why JAK are now based over there, it could have been something that was planning for a while. Or they realised what happened at DW and ran off to hide in the middle east where there a load of internal contracts without having to work on an international scale.