Dreamworks Trolls Village

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2018 at 2:47 PM, Roachie said:

I really, really want to support Dreamworld - i've openly and publicly defended the park up against the likes of the Daily Mail in the past, however this whole project in particular really hits home in regards to the anguish I feel about Dreamworld whenever the park comes up in conversation these days.

Even with the pennies to the dollar that Ardent's giving Dreamworld to build new attractions, somehow we're still ending up with ultimately flawed concepts like this one, which is literally just placing a bunch of Dreamworks troll themed stuff, that's not actually connected to the other Dreamworks stuff, right smack bang in the middle of an ocean themed area. It's this same logic that makes placing a car attraction in Ocean Parade a great idea, or that demolishing the waterfall the train goes through instead of just maintaining it properly a great idea, or that a diesel train instead of a steam train would be a great idea, or the Log Ride with roofs would be a good idea, or modifying the Shockwave restraints would be a good idea etc. etc. etc. etc.

I think the reason Dreamworld has lasted the distance so far is because of the reputation it acquired through the high standard it set for itself back when it first opened, to which I then wonder at what point do enthusiasts and the collective public say enough's enough with the "frugal" spending and constant hacking away at what made the place so great in the first place? Isn't it beyond obvious they're cramming in an "attraction" into the cheapest, easiest piece of real estate they have? 

Ultimately, it's just really, really sad to see the park treated with such contempt, and I think that's because the park used to be held to a much higher standard, and I really would like to see that standard back before Dreamworld's story ends the same as Wonderland's did.

You're absolutely right. One that really grates me is Mick Doohan in the bush setting and not up the end in the Ocean Parade area. Breaks my heart too that the whole Australian bush theme was destroyed with the vintage cars moving, the paddle wheeler closing and the unique bushranger show gone. Hate that ABC / Wiggles is squished into where it is too. All that should be in the larger kids area in Madagascar. On that, Pandamonium is out of place there. It should be up in Ocean Parade too. The massive waterfall off the Wipeout Wave was awesome but didn't last long after opening. And the list goes on! Dreamworld used to have tightly themed areas, and space between those themed areas, adding a sense of leaving one / arriving at a distinctive place. Now's it just one big shopping mall where every spare space had a kiosk added. If Dreamworld were a Westfield, we've got a butcher next to a clothes shop and dentist next to a fruit shop. The really sad part is that there is just no practical way to ever fix these poor decisions and lack of planning and vision #fml

Ps I also hate that ToT runs through the park, killing the vibe and tranquility of Every. Other. Area.

Pss Hated Buzzsaw being added to Goldrush... never felt right. I guess they wanted something to advertise to the carpark and highway but by doing so they disrespected the park further. Buzzsaw should have had a different theme and been up in Ocean Parade too. The old Thunderbolt area could have been nicely filled and themed.

Edited by brissy phil
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Looks the same as it did 4 weeks ago.

They should seriously just axe the idea. They are closer to having nothing than a finished product.

the whole point of it opening at Christmas was to build off the success & marketing of the film & the direct-to-dvd Trolls Holiday which had a December release. 

The whole marketing tie in has been missed and the brand itself is irrelevant now until the sequel comes out which is due to 2020 I believe. 

Shelve the plans and do something different 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 2

On 4/8/2018 at 10:50 PM, brissy phil said:

You're absolutely right. One that really grates me is Mick Doohan in the bush setting and not up the end in the Ocean Parade area. Breaks my heart too that the whole Australian bush theme was destroyed with the vintage cars moving, the paddle wheeler closing and the unique bushranger show gone. Hate that ABC / Wiggles is squished into where it is too. All that should be in the larger kids area in Madagascar. On that, Pandamonium is out of place there. It should be up in Ocean Parade too. The massive waterfall off the Wipeout Wave was awesome but didn't last long after opening. And the list goes on! Dreamworld used to have tightly themed areas, and space between those themed areas, adding a sense of leaving one / arriving at a distinctive place. Now's it just one big shopping mall where every spare space had a kiosk added. If Dreamworld were a Westfield, we've got a butcher next to a clothes shop and dentist next to a fruit shop. The really sad part is that there is just no practical way to ever fix these poor decisions and lack of planning and vision #fml

Ps I also hate that ToT runs through the park, killing the vibe and tranquility of Every. Other. Area.

Pss Hated Buzzsaw being added to Goldrush... never felt right. I guess they wanted something to advertise to the carpark and highway but by doing so they disrespected the park further. Buzzsaw should have had a different theme and been up in Ocean Parade too. The old Thunderbolt area could have been nicely filled and themed.

All very good points I think. Seems those making the big development decisions at Dreamworld don't really understand what a theme park is all about!

15 hours ago, themagician said:

I think that if they really wanted to create an immersive Trolls experience, they should've used the under utilised Kevin hill shed and created something really awesome

They could've gutted Kevil Hill & used the current pass centre as an entrance to the space that connects directly to the existing Dreamworks experience and made it something that has the potential to last beyond the twelve months Craig mentioned.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skeeta said:

I "HATE" attraction that are in essence, murals painted on walls.

Now now Skeet...

this attraction will be right up there with the best in the world - think Wizarding World at Universal & Star Wars Land at Disney. 

Dreamworld says so themselves...

Dreamworld general manager marketing and communications Phillip Hancox said this Trolls extension is a world-class, world-first attraction.

28 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Now now Skeet...

this attraction will be right up there with the best in the world - think Wizarding World at Universal & Star Wars Land at Disney. 

Dreamworld general manager marketing and communications Phillip Hancox said this Trolls extension is a world-class, world-first attraction.

To be fair, no other theme park in the world would paint some plywood and try to call it an attraction. So it is probably a world-first

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Brad2912 said:

Now now Skeet...

At this point in time it wouldn't surprise me if DW installed this attraction from LoveLand and called it the best in the world.

6 minutes ago, jjuttp said:

Are  you  sure?

Haha, you have a point there but I can still guarantee those are higher quality than the Trolls Village will be. The rendering looks nice but I feel like it really wont look that nice in person.
I was originally concerned about the screams coming from Kevil Hill behind it ruining the atmosphere for kids. Then I remembered no one goes in there anyway so at least it'll be quiet.

I would have much rather them maybe do some kind of temporary trolls overlay in the current Dreamworks area and name it The Trolls Takeover. They could have changed all the music to songs from the trolls sound track and have little troll statues and small theming elements (like in Kung fu panda change the animals in the windows to burgens) They could have also build a permanent exhibit area where they could easily change the theming for different Dreamworks movies and they could have put in a new show were Madagascar live is and have dance parties and photo ops in different areas throughout the day.

It seems to me they've been spending quite a lot of time and a fair amount of money creating a very mediocre attraction that will only be temporary. Doesn't seem the best use of their obviously very limited resources.

Surely they should be investing that time (and no doubt money) building new permanent attractions (that are much better than mediocre).

What an absolute crock of a news story and who is this goose Communcation Manager from DW?

We’ve got a kid saying “a trolls ride will be great” when it’s known that isn’t happening (why put that in your clip??) and the major “secrets we don’t want to reveal” are that there will be a costume section where people can get dressed as Trolls - no doubt an up-charge, and a cupcake shop - which again is an added cost. Add roving troll Characters to the park, put the show in the existing theatre and you could have saved all this construction which is centred around upcharge & f&b revenue...

Oh and then cue the footage of the flipped raft and body/parts covered in sheets - so as Mummy & Daddy call the kids over to the tv to see the story on the news about Trolls they get tragedy thrown at them... 

Edited by Brad2912
  • Like 2