Verrückt Incident - Schlitterbahn, USA

DaptoFunlandGuy

1 hour ago, Levithian said:

The loading sounds like the major safety aspect. Have the weight distribution towards the front and youd think it would keep the nose down.

Yep - has been mentioned in a few of the articles i've read. But looking at ride photos from Google Images shows plenty of instances where there's two heavy people in the back and a small child in the front..

it's natural to put the smallest person at the front though. Parents will usually do that with their kids so they can see etc.

As for riding with two complete strangers - What kid wants to ride sandwiched between two large people to ride a waterslide?

Clarifying point - the NET is NOT made of metal. its a standard 'rope weave' made of a fibrous or nylon string.

ONLY the SUPPORT POLES are made of METAL.

Engineering this idea would have been a little harder, but i've been toying over the design idea of having support poles outside the ride envelope, with spring tensioned lines holding up the netting - would that have possibly changed it from fatal to carpet burn? (like this, but with longer lines and greater clearance between support poles and netting):

padandenclosurepackage.jpg

2 minutes ago, AlexB said:

we'll never know - but its possible he would have survived if there wasn't a net...

Do you think it's normal an engineer would design a ride using a net to catch you just in case you ended up going too high?  If this is how engineers work than I would suggest we never go on any ride again.

What we don’t know is how and why he got from point A to point B.  Point a being the slide and point B being the net.  He should never have been at point B so the question is how did he get there?

I would imagine that whoever did the 'independent investigations' after the accident would have done recreations with weighted dummies to determine whether it was weight distribution solely to blame or just a freak accident? The fact he was "ejected" from his seat seems to indicate that their was a failure with the restraints, whether it was just not properly fastened, or he wiggled out of it, or as another patron of the ride had experienced at an earlier date that the restraint itself broke.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Adam C said:

I was reading this yesterday... phenomenal. Though the next questions that should be asked is how in the hell did this get certified for the public to use. I thought the whole concept of approvals and oversights was so this type of thing couldn't happen!

• 3 weeks later...