Sign in to follow this  
themagician

Last Ever Stormtroopers Weekend at Dreamworld

21 posts in this topic

Whilst I don’t know the reason, I doubt licensing is it. 

Disney has owned the rights to the Star Wars licence for 6 years, a period of time that coincided with Dreamworld having a commerical licence agreement with Dreamworks. 

If they inexplicably decided after 6 years they didn’t want a glorified fan club to run events in a theme park with a competing licence associated with them it wouldn’t be a case of “oh you can do one more” it would be a “it ceases now”. 

Think the mouse-house has bigger things on its mind than a theme park in Australia. 

They may have just had a better location open up, or decided to focus on other things. I imagine tying it into supernova or comic-con would be more successful. 

• Like 1

Star Wars Lightsaber Duel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3e68fvY0Ro

Star Wars Jedi Academy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxffmQjNzww

Star Wars Crocodile Feeding - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2bN3kcOX4

Star Wars Parade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXj7TnF3S38

Edited by Gold Coast Amusement Force
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

Dreamworld this afternoon:

Full carpark 

Great atmosphere 

LOADS of Stormtroopers! 

On the 'full carpark' note. I cannot believe it! Would of thought that all this bad publicity they're getting at the moment, would be drawings crowds well away. But the pass renewal lines have been full all day, and the park seems generally normal.

Weird.

• Like 1

Wonderful actually. 

I'm not too keen on going on any of the rides at Dreamworld at the moment, but I'm seeing parts of Dreamworld I never even knew about! 

There's a lot more than rides! 

• Like 1

For the first time, I'm starting to get a bit of a feel for what the theme of the park is supposed to be about. 

As well as the Dreamworks characters playing a strong role in the kids rides area, there is a great indigenous culture element, especially in the Coroberree area. That of course links well to the 'dreaming' idea.

I knew about both these areas before of course, but the Coroberree section is much improved following the recent refurbishment, and today I saw some parts of it  (and a couple of very interesting and well performed shows) I've never seen before. 

Also learnt some new things about indigenous culture. 

I might still have to learn how to spell Coroberree correctly though,  maybe! 

Edited by pushbutton

I went today to check out the Stormtrooper weekend and the pass centre was packed with a line out the door for most of the day. Still many people buying new passes or upgrading despite the negative light that has been shed on Dreamworld this past week.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jdude95 said:

I went today to check out the Stormtrooper weekend and the pass centre was packed with a line out the door for most of the day. Still many people buying new passes or upgrading despite the negative light that has been shed on Dreamworld this past week.

Great to see! 

On 24/06/2018 at 12:07 AM, Brad2912 said:

Whilst I don’t know the reason, I doubt licensing is it. 

Disney has owned the rights to the Star Wars licence for 6 years, a period of time that coincided with Dreamworld having a commerical licence agreement with Dreamworks. 

If they inexplicably decided after 6 years they didn’t want a glorified fan club to run events in a theme park with a competing licence associated with them it wouldn’t be a case of “oh you can do one more” it would be a “it ceases now”. 

Think the mouse-house has bigger things on its mind than a theme park in Australia. 

They may have just had a better location open up, or decided to focus on other things. I imagine tying it into supernova or comic-con would be more successful. 

Oh, my young Padawan you have ruled out Galaxy's Edge opening at Disney next year.  

The 501st Legion's Mr Lochowicz said the 2018 event was likely to be the final Stormtroopers Weekend at Dreamworld due to overseas licencing associated with the franchise and the 501st Garrison’s charity work.

Even a charity group like 501st Legion' requires the Disney nod.

501st Legion spokesman, Adam Lochowicz, said the Dreamworld event had a reputation as the largest Stormtrooper gathering in the Southern Hemisphere, with the Legion consisting of people from across the globe.

With success cometh Disney's hammer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 23/06/2018 at 11:08 PM, joel said:

Dreamworld have been given the boot because they are partnered with Dreamworks.

Oh, I do enjoy how you just pull shit out of your arse and present it as fact.

You do realise that Disney and Dreamworks do share? As a matter of fact, Disney Channel in Australia regularly shows both Shrek and Madagascar franchises...

Somehow - I think you'll find it's more about Disney ramping up the star wars license, and less about some fanciful 'competitor' tag.