XXI Commonwealth Games: Gold Coast 2018

Jamberoo Fan

9 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

2 koalas’ in a park is a lot different from what you posted @Roachie. 

Fun fact, MW was on Sunrise at the games.

Fun fact, two corporate mascots, a bunch of Australian fauna and the Minister for Tourism in a Commonwealth Games Zone is not "2 koalas' in a park" and goes to show who was on the money about these kind of activations and promotional events being so important.

1 minute ago, rac2703 said:

:) Notice how the Minister for Tourism/Commonwealth Games (representing the Goverment, an offical partner of the Games) was on hand at a pre-arranged media event, trying to talk up the positive impact for tourism in QLD that Games have had.

Dreamworld didn't just randomly decided to stroll Kenny and Belinda down to Surfers without permission. 

I don't even know what your point is anymore.

Edited by Roachie

2 minutes ago, Roachie said:

Fun fact, two corporate mascots, a bunch of Australian fauna and the Minister for Tourism in a Commonwealth Games Zone is not "2 koalas' in a park" and goes to show who was on the money about these kind of activations and promotional events being so important.

Let me reminded you what you said:

Why aren't there giant billboards on the side of busses that say "Verse your commonwealth rivals on the country's best coaster? As @joz mentioned, why aren't there different countries having a race down the aqua racers for a bit of good fun and commonwealth spirit? How many other commonwealth countries have baby tigers or the beautiful native wildlife we have?

Every day there should be something incredible going on with the athletes and our parks. There's an opportunity to tap in to dozens of countries and gain new influence and advertise what's on offer that's totally been wasted in my opinion.

For Dreamworld, there could've been:

- "Freestyle divers take on the freefall of Dreamworld's Giant Drop"

- "Dreamworld helps gymnasts cool down next door with a splash with baby tigers"

- "Kenny Koala and a dozen of his koala friends get cuddly with athletes at Dreamworld"

- "Local and neighbouring indigenous athletes get one on one weapons training with 16 year-old Dreamworld Corroboree rockstar."

And as for Village Roadshow Theme Parks:

- "John Citizen & athlete go head to head on the country's best coaster, Rivals HyperCoaster""

- "The Flash takes on gold-winning marathon champions"

- "What's faster? A roller-coaster, Superman, or a gold-medallist runner? We find out."

- "Sea World's dolphins impart vital message about conservation to athletes in one on one"

- "Athletes tour the country without leaving the Gold Coast at Australian Outback Spectacular"

- "Surprised guests catch a wave with Usain Bolt at Wet 'n' Wild"

And this is without considering the fact that the games are ripe for guerrilla style marketing. Where was Bugs Bunny cheering on athletes at the Marathon or popping up randomly and being part of the spirit of the games? I would've loved to see Kenny Koala pop in next door in a Model T Ford and for Dreamworld to give out a stack of free passes. Could you imagine if Dreamworld still had a barbershop quartet and they randomly popped up on the strip? Why not do a games challenge for the public? Can you do all the biggest rides on the Gold Coast? Win a free limited edition hat with all the park's logos on them. And there could be so many live events that encourage athletes and volunteers to stay after the games and take the parks up on the opportunity to go for free.

The ideas go on and on hey, but what do I know, i'm just some random whinging online.

Let me show you what you didn't say:

Two corporate mascots, a bunch of Australian fauna and the Minister for Tourism stealing a photo op.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

Let me reminded you what you said:

Why aren't there giant billboards on the side of busses that say "Verse your commonwealth rivals on the country's best coaster? As @joz mentioned, why aren't there different countries having a race down the aqua racers for a bit of good fun and commonwealth spirit? How many other commonwealth countries have baby tigers or the beautiful native wildlife we have?

Every day there should be something incredible going on with the athletes and our parks. There's an opportunity to tap in to dozens of countries and gain new influence and advertise what's on offer that's totally been wasted in my opinion.

For Dreamworld, there could've been:

- "Freestyle divers take on the freefall of Dreamworld's Giant Drop"

- "Dreamworld helps gymnasts cool down next door with a splash with baby tigers"

- "Kenny Koala and a dozen of his koala friends get cuddly with athletes at Dreamworld"

- "Local and neighbouring indigenous athletes get one on one weapons training with 16 year-old Dreamworld Corroboree rockstar."

And as for Village Roadshow Theme Parks:

- "John Citizen & athlete go head to head on the country's best coaster, Rivals HyperCoaster""

- "The Flash takes on gold-winning marathon champions"

- "What's faster? A roller-coaster, Superman, or a gold-medallist runner? We find out."

- "Sea World's dolphins impart vital message about conservation to athletes in one on one"

- "Athletes tour the country without leaving the Gold Coast at Australian Outback Spectacular"

- "Surprised guests catch a wave with Usain Bolt at Wet 'n' Wild"

And this is without considering the fact that the games are ripe for guerrilla style marketing. Where was Bugs Bunny cheering on athletes at the Marathon or popping up randomly and being part of the spirit of the games? I would've loved to see Kenny Koala pop in next door in a Model T Ford and for Dreamworld to give out a stack of free passes. Could you imagine if Dreamworld still had a barbershop quartet and they randomly popped up on the strip? Why not do a games challenge for the public? Can you do all the biggest rides on the Gold Coast? Win a free limited edition hat with all the park's logos on them. And there could be so many live events that encourage athletes and volunteers to stay after the games and take the parks up on the opportunity to go for free.

The ideas go on and on hey, but what do I know, i'm just some random whinging online.

Let me show you what you didn't say:

Two corporate mascots, a bunch of Australian fauna and the Minister for Tourism stealing a photo op.

So because I only listed ten rough examples of neat promotional ideas in an attempt to highlight why some proactive and original PR would be a stellar idea instead of creating thirty highly detailed event outlines including parties involved, times, dates, news & press invitation lists etc. i'm somehow wrong.

Oooookay then.

I think you're missing the point, which is in my mind, the parks are a core part of the Gold Coast's DNA, in the same way Q1 or the beaches are, and they should be more involved.

Edited by Roachie

12 minutes ago, Roachie said:

I don't even know what your point is anymore.

The point is in your last post you literally said "go get the council! Someone's up to no good!"

I pointed out this was not just a random appearance that the Comm Games is unaware of, its a pre-planned media event with the appropriate permissions. not some "guerrilla style marketing. Where was Bugs Bunny [or in this case Kenny the Koala] popping up randomly and being part of the spirit of the games" as you suggested would be a good idea for the parks to partake in.

How hard is it follow?

7 minutes ago, rac2703 said:

The point is in your last post you literally said "go get the council! Someone's up to no good!"

I pointed out this was not just a random appearance that the Comm Games is unaware of, its a pre-planned media event with the appropriate permissions. not some "guerrilla style marketing. Where was Bugs Bunny [or in this case Kenny the Koala] popping up randomly and being part of the spirit of the games" as you suggested would be a good idea for the parks to partake in.

How hard is it follow?

It's pretty hard to follow considering the fact that out of the ten examples I wrote (not including @joz's) you're focussed on the one example that you've chosen out of context to make a point that serves no other purpose than to be right. 

Have a beer buddy - it's all good. The ten ideas I wrote were just that, ideas, and I wrote them down to illustrate a point that I think there's a million and one novel and original ways to get our parks out there while the world's sporting community is looking our way and to not be doing that for whatever reason is a poor move, because as I mentioned above, theme parks are a part of the Gold Coast way of life.

Edited by Roachie

2 minutes ago, Roachie said:

I think you're missing the point, which is in my mind, the parks are a core part of the Gold Coast's DNA, in the same way Q1 or the beaches are, and they should be more involved.

They’re involved.  Village and DW gave free entry for athletes and volunteers.  Maybe the parks new people would stay away from the parks.  The involvement just happens to not satisfy your thirst for involvement.

5 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

The involvement just happens to not satisfy your thirst for involvement.

Yes, without question, that's literally the entire point I was making all along, that it's a missed opportunity, to which I showed in my examples.

5 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

They’re involved.

I never said they weren't!?! You quoted me saying "they should be more involved," more is the key word there.

Edited by Roachie

19 minutes ago, Roachie said:

Yes, without question, that's literally the entire point I was making all along, that it's a missed opportunity, to which I showed in my examples.

And my counter argument is our parks have done a lot with out having to pay through the nose for an "Official Partnership" - which most of your initial suggestions would have required. 

With the M1 scare campaign prior to the games I'd probably say that the parks were actively discouraged from trying to entice local visitors, and instead focused on enticing future international visitors (which we won't notice the efforts as locals).

They have "Donated" thousands of free entries to the parks - Dreamworld has given all athletes and volunteers 1 day free entry, whilst Village Roadshow has given free entry for the entire 11days. As a result Many international athletes and their families are posting to social media from inside the parks to their many followers.

Whilst the impact may not be visible to us locals - international media has been filming in our parks (as I mentioned earlier Malaysian and Singaporean crews were at Sea World filming with the dolphins earlier, a New Zealand crew was at Wet n Wild, Craig mentioned media has been to Dreamworld and I'm sure many other international crews have been to the parks.

All this International exposure will showcase the Gold Coast as a whole a destination to visit - it's then the parks job to get the tourists through the gates once they are here.

Edited by rac2703
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

?    You call somebody salty because they disagree with you, very strange.  I thought I was having a debate with an adult for a second.

I called you out for being "salty" and not say @rac2703 because the only thing you had left to say was a snide, off-topic remark, whilst @rac2703 chose to clarify and continue the debate in a meaningful way that was, as you would say, like an adult, which I respect.

Let's keep this on topic now.

Edited by Roachie

@Roachie do you not think the parks knew it would be a ghost town and the best they could was give away some tickets?

Front page news today   

DOWNTURN 

GHOST TOWN  A SHOCK report has revealed the Gold Coast city leaders knew a year ago that local businesses would be hit by a severe downturn during the games,