Australian Outback Spectacular - changes?

Redboost

Went to see the AOS show last week and noticed a major change in the production - what happened to the helicopter prop?? I last saw the show 2 years ago and this year decided to take the missus (who had yet to see the show) and was hyping her up for the helicopter which never eventuated. Did something happen to it between the last time they featured High Country Legends and last year's Light Horse show? Or is it just a case of VR saving $$$ by removing it from the show altogether?

The last time I visited AOS was in 2016 and they were running the High Country Legends show then until last year when they switched to the Light Horse show and now back to the High Country show. The High Country show in 2016 had a helicopter prop burst into the main show arena whereas the 2018 edition doesn't. The shows are near identical story-wise except for a minor change due to the lack of the helicopter prop.

Edited by Redboost

The helicopter was removed for the "Tribute to the Light Horse Show" as several scenes had to be removed in order to fit in the Light Horse portion for timing purposes.

Whilst the Helicopter was a cool effect back in 2006 when the show opened, it was subsequently shoe horned in to every show after with less and less relevance.

I think it was time to move on with 2018 technology something so much more could be put in to replace it.

I think the helicopter added a real "wow" to the opening scene, and was entirely appropriate as you'd just seen video of a flight around Australia, finishing up outside the Australian Outback Spectacular building, and then with the aid of the helicopter it seemed as if you were flying into the building. A superb effect I thought.

For the show last year (Army related, I forget the name), they altered the back wall and apparently removed the roller door where the helicopter had come in. Maybe it was deemed too expensive to alter it back.

I saw it a few weeks ago and have to say there was a few other changes, and whilst it is still a superb show it's not quite as good as it used to be.

Another major change is they had a new actor playing "Bluey", who I consider the most important character in the show. He wasn't bad, but it was obvious he was still learning his lines, and he just didn't have the same passion for the role that the previous guy did.

I could be wrong, maybe the guy I've seen many times in the past is still there but was just having a day off when I saw it a few weeks ago.

Another thing I noticed was the introduction to the circus segment wasn't quite what it used to be, and seemed a bit rushed. Suddenly someone shouts "CIRCUS!" in the middle of something completely unrelated, and then the tent goes up!

As I said it's still very very good, but not quite what it was!

I would completely disagree, a harsh cut from outback footage to a drone shot of Outback Spectacular with a terrible CGI roller door added to the back, and then the laborious entry (I mean the fact that the doors have to open in that screen hardly makes it a surprise) of the canned helicopter that you've seen in every other production is hardly a wow moment for me. 
It screams "hey we have a helicopter, we must use it somewhere". The original show back in 2006 used the Helicopter to muster cattle after we had just seen it done the old way with horses, made total sense and was a real feature. It had its time.

As for the Circus, I think you're just looking with Rose Glasses Push, whilst the scene with the big truck is gone the intro to the Circus is no more out of place/rushed than it used to be. I didn't really notice any difference when I saw the show a few weeks back.

As for Bluey, they have always had different actors play that role, perhaps you've just been fortunate to see the 'A' guy every time previous. 

Edited by djrappa

Fair points. I guess when you've seen a show at what for you was its absolute peak, anything different is likely to seem not as good, unless of course it's something absolutely incredible which is an obvious improvement.

Since High Country Legends is such a great show, that would be extremely difficult!

I still enjoy it though.

8 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Fair points. I guess when you've seen a show at what for you was its absolute peak, anything different is likely to seem not as good, unless of course it's something absolutely incredible which is an obvious improvement.

Since High Country Legends is such a great show, that would be extremely difficult!

I still enjoy it though.

I think the peak (forget the technology side and just story wise) for Outback Spectacular was the first Light Horse show back in 2009. But the peak for the helicopter was definitely the original.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AlexB said:

So the question begs to be asked - considering the rig for the helicopter is still (i assume) in existence given the logistics of removing it - what else could they use the 'crane' rig for that would integrate well into the show?

The spaceship from Bermuda Triangle is my pick.:wacko:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

So the question begs to be asked - considering the rig for the helicopter is still (i assume) in existence given the logistics of removing it - what else could they use the 'crane' rig for that would integrate well into the show?

Well I think that's the thing AlexB, you don't come up with something and then work out how you fit it into a show, you create a show that has a meaningful requirement for something and then utilise the tech to full that requirement. Tech is no good without story to support it.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, westical said:

Can’t find much video from AOS. Is recording frowned upon?

Honestly, its not worth watching a video - no way any recording could capture the entire arena, and without it you're missing a lot.

With community month on at the moment - those discounted tickets to AOS would be a score - if you don't qualify - find a friend who does and go along - considering the dinner and drinks included, it's amazing value right now...

21 minutes ago, AlexB said:

With community month on at the moment - those discounted tickets to AOS would be a score - if you don't qualify - find a friend who does and go along - considering the dinner and drinks included, it's amazing value right now...

When does the community month offer end?