Current Sea World Thoughts (2018)

Damo79

So we visited this last week and well since my last visit when the flume ride was closed the only change was the baby polar bear display which looks like it was always hidden from the  public, and the removal of the pool and water slides using the already installed resources to modify it to a kids splash park, taking away huge liabilities and the need for guards but honestly a waste of space and money for a park with literally no rides.

Nothing is happening with the flume and whatever they build there will cause access issues to the storm, I honestly think we will see another animal exhibit is easier to build, the waste of space is nuts around the park.

The good news is behind the tavern and kids park is a heap of earth works is going on but seriously new rides are needed.

Honestly I'd expand the car park onto the grassed area, build new entrance buildings which incorporate the monorail that runs out the front with a station (although it's always broken down).  Knock down the existing buildings and mate look at all the useable land you have for more attractions, plus the buildings are so old and dilapidated.

Thoughts?

Edited by Roachie

We were there during the week, I'm always looking up things on this forum and I read about the flume from its closure post, so with the earth works I thought I'd say something is going on but this park has to do some major investment to bring it back to what it once was

It also looks like village roadshow are investing big in movie world, wet n wild and now the three storey top shots but sea world doesn't get a look in

Edited by Damo79
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Why did you create this topic, why is it called Sea World Gold Coast, why is it so broad.

To be fair, after searching through five pages and doing a few thread searches, the OP's post doesn't really fit anyway, so i've changed the title to better match the post.

But that's kind of telling too - there's really scant discussion about Sea World in amongst enthusiasts given there's been so little movement that might interest thrill-seekers at the park of late. I'm sure that'll change in the near future - what I do hope is that the next major build is something worthwhile because I think the OP is right - you get this vibe these days that Sea World is just a really nice bundled extra for resort guests and pass-holders, a cool space for private events and not much else.

On that thought - it's interesting that the model of  "a thrill ride park" and then say an "animal park" or a "kid's park" has been shown not to work overseas in the long term & it doesn't bring in the same kind of revenue as having parks that are well rounded destinations. Let's not forget that when Keith Williams owned the joint that Sea World was the major competitor to Dreamworld - now though, when they close down Jet Rescue or Storm, there's literally half of their major rides gone, and let's be honest - that's a silly position to be in.

18 hours ago, Damo79 said:

Honestly I'd expand the car park onto the grassed area, build new entrance buildings which incorporate the monorail that runs out the front with a station (although it's always broken down).  Knock down the existing buildings and mate look at all the useable land you have for more attractions, plus the buildings are so old and dilapidated.

Thoughts?

It's been mentioned before, but for reference, the grassed area isn't owned by the park. It's crown land if i recall correctly, and while the park is able to utilise it for parking when they're full, there's a reason it's grass and not blacktop... they can't build on land that isn't theirs.

Extending the front of the park out would then eat much needed parking spaces for the park. Making all that extra space at the front is a waste, when they already have so much space out on Corkscrew's old site to make use of... they need to use the space they've got before they start trying to expand the park into an even bigger sprawl.

In addition, the existing front entrance buildings are somewhat iconic, and whilst likely not something that'd qualify for heritage listing, knocking them down is short sighted (renovating the pathways into the park and making better use of whats in the buildings would be a far better step IMO.

The monorail is old. The park is doing well to keep it running as much as it does, but it requires a huge investment to bring it back up to today's standards - especially since all the others of similar age and style (Sydney, Jupiters) are being removed. Unfortunately there isn't really a viable replacement option, but with such a sprawling park, removing the only remaining transport ride to get from the front to the back is probably a bad move.

2 hours ago, AlexB said:

It's been mentioned before, but for reference, the grassed area isn't owned by the park. It's crown land if i recall correctly, and while the park is able to utilise it for parking when they're full, there's a reason it's grass and not blacktop... they can't build on land that isn't theirs.

SW is on crown land also Alex.

SW to me just seems like it’s been put into the “important but not urgent” basket by VTP.

Their inbound tourism revenue keeps them comfortable in terms of revenue & profitability regardless of investment in rides, and they are on par with DW in terms of their kid-friendly attraction - so significant Capex always seems to be on backburner for the park.

its clear VTP isn’t looking for large output this year after DCR last year, but I’d hazard a guess that dropping $10-20m on a coaster at SW would be potentially lower on their priority list than say improving the kids/family offering at MW - and I’m not particular in disagreement with that. Whilst SW is a standalone park, most local/interstate visitors to SW do so as part of their annual pass or a 3 Park/weekly tourist offering. It’s bascially now just an add on to MW just as WnW is (maybe even less so). 

Edited by Brad2912

I think that's why most people are disillusioned with the park these days and angry with how it is being run and managed. Back in the day SW was the MAIN park in VTP stable and the MAIN competitor to DW. Now through years of neglect and not spending/maintaining it is just as you call it an 'add on' and it's disappointing* that it was allowed to arrive in such a state.

And calling it disappointing is being generous. 

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

The monorail is old. The park is doing well to keep it running as much as it does, but it requires a huge investment to bring it back up to today's standards - especially since all the others of similar age and style (Sydney, Jupiters) are being removed. Unfortunately there isn't really a viable replacement option, but with such a sprawling park, removing the only remaining transport ride to get from the front to the back is probably a bad move.

I believe there was the addition of a second monorail a few weeks ago...  They have also redone the ramp at the rear of the park as well.

2 hours ago, MaxxTheMonster said:

I believe there was the addition of a second monorail a few weeks ago...  They have also redone the ramp at the rear of the park as well.

When I said 'Monorail' I meant collectively as to the attraction as a whole (ie, the track as well as all rolling stock). I find it somewhat incongruous to refer to it (on the basis that there are two trains) as 'monorails'.

3 hours ago, Brad2912 said:

its clear VTP isn’t looking for large output this year after DCR last year, but I’d hazard a guess that dropping $10-20m on a coaster at SW would be potentially lower on their priority list than say improving the kids/family offering at MW - and I’m not particular in disagreement with that.

Last thing SW needs is another coaster. 

• Like 1

I have always thought a flying coaster, similar to Manta at Sea World Orlando would be good in the old SV area. I would have the coaster extend out to the lake to do some good sweeping turns & near misses to the water. 

I know that some people like flying coasters, some don’t, however a ride like this would be something to make the Australian GP say “holy s#*!”... especially if they added a pretzel loop to the layout. 

• Like 1

I won't go into massive amounts of detail, but Sea World does need a big new full sized coaster. It also could do with a smaller broad appeal coaster (a spinner would be ideal), a new family ride and a dark ride. All 3 of it's main shows are woeful and need to be rewritten from scratch, and for the love of god just reopen the Flume already. 

The only thing the park doesn't need is new animal attractions; there are enough of them and animal attractions are increasingly a problem for public perception. I think long term (20+ years) SW needs to transition to not being an animal park with a couple rides, but an Ocean theme park with a few animals. At the moment if they wanted to shift focus away from animals for public relation issues they can't because they have too little else to highlight.

Edited by joz
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, joz said:

All 3 of it's main shows are woeful and need to be rewritten from scratch,

I have a few questions regarding the shows. 

Who is creating the shows? 

Who is approving shows?  

Which managers at Village like the shows?   

Which managers would pay out of their pocket to see the shows?

Now for my thoughts - 

The people creating the shows are crap at their jobs.

The people signing of the shows don’t know what a good show is.

The management don’t care about the shows.

I know hell would have to freeze over before I paid to watch any of the shows and SW are only using the shows as a filler which leaves you feeling empty.

When a theme park put in a show they must treat it no different to putting in a new ride.

SW gave us Jet Rescue with the extra kicker (launch) because SW knew the MDMC version wasn’t going to cut it, but Village refuse to add a kicker to the shows.  Instead Village have installed “MDMC THE SHOW” in all the parks.

A couple of Jet skis having a stupid competition is crap, dull, dumb, foolish, futile, ill-advised, irrelevant, laughable, ludicrous, naïve, short-sighted, simple, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, meaningless, moronic, pointless, stupefied and did I mention stupid because it’s stupid too.  Don’t get me started on how boring it is.  There aren’t enough words in the world to describe how boring it is.

1 hour ago, pushbutton said:

It would be wonderful if they built something along the lines of Bermuda Triangle. Not a recreation of the same ride, but something equally immersive and with the same broad appeal to all ages.

There are plenty of possibilities with sea related themes.

Push my wife is a lot like you when I take her out to dinner.  She always goes the chicken.  I'm say to her "Try the fish, Try the lamb" but it's always the chicken.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Skeeta said:

I have a few questions regarding the shows. 

Who is creating the shows? 

Who is approving shows?  

Which managers at Village like the shows?   

Which managers would pay out of their pocket to see the shows?

Now for my thoughts - 

The people creating the shows are crap at their jobs.

The people signing of the shows don’t know what a good show is.

The management don’t care about the shows.

I know hell would have to freeze over before I paid to watch any of the shows and SW are only using the shows as a filler which leaves you feeling empty.

When a theme park put in a show they must treat it no different to putting in a new ride.

SW gave us Jet Rescue with the extra kicker (launch) because SW knew the MDMC version wasn’t going to cut it, but Village refuse to add a kicker to the shows.  Instead Village have installed “MDMC THE SHOW” in all the parks.

A couple of Jet skis having a stupid competition is crap, dull, dumb, foolish, futile, ill-advised, irrelevant, laughable, ludicrous, naïve, short-sighted, simple, half-baked, half-witted, idiotic, meaningless, moronic, pointless, stupefied and did I mention stupid because it’s stupid too.  Don’t get me started on how boring it is.  There aren’t enough words in the world to describe how boring it is.

Push my wife is a lot like you when I take her out to dinner.  She always goes the chicken.  I'm say to her "Try the fish, Try the lamb" but it's always the chicken.

I actually like chicken, fish, and lamb. You must be thinking of someone else! 

• Like 1