Falling Standards at Our Parks

MickeyD

Yep. Also, the new screen I mentioned above is bigger and leaning slightly forward, which does make it more believable than before. 

The only effects that still really need work are the population count sign (used to start fully lined up but now starts very loose so it's obvious it's going to drop). Also the bit where someone falls off a balcony into a barrel is still completely broken.

When a ride is closed for maintenance for so long, it's unacceptable for these things to still be less than 100%.

There's some fantastic posts in this topic! Cheers to all that have contributed. I agree with many of the posts, as I too have the same thoughts about MW and the GC parks.

The GC park's themed entertainment offering has stagnated for many years. Yes we have better mechanical rides then we did 10 years ago, but the themeing, customer service, overall showmanship, merch and shows are all at the same standard (if not a worse) than 10 years ago. I think this feeling of 'our parks are mediocre' is further exacerbated by seeing the current standard of themeparks overseas; which is constantly getting better and better, and is currently at such a high standard.

Edited by Luke
  • Like 3

Haven't really discussed much in the way of Merch - but you're right.

I'm sick of the shops within the parks that sell surf-wear brands without any tie-in (rip curl \ billabong \ roxy etc) - like at WnW I get it - if you visit and you don't already have something to swim in, that'd be nice, but not as much of an issue at the other parks.

One of my favourite souvenirs to pick up at a park is a polo shirt. I live in polo shirts, so i'm always looking to add to the variety. The parks always used to have quite unique offerings in this area, but now there aren't many options - and the option they do have is the same shirt with a different logo (eg: sea world sells it with a dark shark sillouette, movie world sells the same shirt with a black and gold movie world logo). On my last visit there was maybe one other option - same shirt style, but in a different colour, with the sea world logo in white, but no other options.

There's always plenty of t-shirts - and sure, t-shirts are easy to spit out mass produced vinyl printed imagery for any random event you decide to throw on - but put a little flavour into something a little classier. Make them a limited batch for each event - even if they sell out early - i guarantee there are people out there who want more than just another t-shirt (plus the collar is more sun safe too!)

• Like 4

Spot on @AlexB

Why buy Surf brands in a Theme Park when you can get the same shit at your local Shopping Centre for a fraction of the Price?

Same goes with Food. Domino's Pizza is as common as Catfood Nationwide and hardly memorable Family dining. Completely uninspired and outrageously over-priced as it is currently experienced at SW. 

Point of difference is the key here. Offer Products and Services that can only be experienced while inside our Parks.. After all that is why People visit them in the first place!

..No wonder so many are leaving disappointed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexB said:

One of my favourite souvenirs to pick up at a park is a polo shirt. I live in polo shirts, so i'm always looking to add to the variety. The parks always used to have quite unique offerings in this area, but now there aren't many options - and the option they do have is the same shirt with a different logo (eg: sea world sells it with a dark shark sillouette, movie world sells the same shirt with a black and gold movie world logo). On my last visit there was maybe one other option - same shirt style, but in a different colour, with the sea world logo in white, but no other options.

There's always plenty of t-shirts - and sure, t-shirts are easy to spit out mass produced vinyl printed imagery for any random event you decide to throw on - but put a little flavour into something a little classier. Make them a limited batch for each event - even if they sell out early - i guarantee there are people out there who want more than just another t-shirt (plus the collar is more sun safe too!)

THIS!!! I live in polos too, and would love a polo option, especially in polyester! I only have 2 polos from VR themeparks, one cotton from MW (purchased over 10 years ago) and one polyester from Seaworld - the cotton has since turned to a threaded mess (cheaply sewn together, threading and stitching came apart) but the SW one lives on after 8 years. *memories*

• 2 weeks later...

Overall, MW still makes a serious attempt to build quality attractions. Service staff in Oz can always be a bit iffy. At this time MW is the only "theme-park" in SE Qld I think, that deserves the title. The other 2 major traditional contenders, ie, DW and SW...I'm not sure what they are both about these days.  Have no intention of visiting either of them...likely for some years.

On 30/06/2018 at 12:59 AM, RobMac said:

Service staff in Oz can always be a bit iffy.

I disagree. Although 'the show' has taken a back seat to efficiency and profits, one only has to set the right culture, treat the staff right, and train them the way you want them to do the job, and they'll do it.

Anyone who doesn't, gets fired and replaced - and you'll very quickly uphold the standards, and maintain them.

• Like 2