FC Barcelona Announces Plans For Theme Parks

FC Barcelona Theme Parks  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think a FC Barcelona 'theme park' will open in Australia?

• Yes - it will be one of the first 5 'parks'
    • Yes - some time after they open their first 5 'parks'
    • No - never
  2. 2. Do you think FC Barcelona's strategy will work?

• Yes - in the long-term
    • Yes - but only in the short-term
    • No - failure from opening day
  3. 3. Would you visit a FC Barcelona 'theme park'?

• Yes and I'm a FC Barcelona fan
    • Yes and I'm not a FC Barcelona fan
    • No and I'm a FC Barcelona fan
    • No and I'm not a FC Barcelona fan

From SBS: The World Game:

Barcelona reveal plans for theme parks in US and Asia

Barcelona has announced plans to open their own amusement parks in Asia and the United States in a bid to further boost their global brand.

The five parks, which will be between 3,000 and 10,000 square metres, will be built by Spanish leisure park group Parques Reunidos in shopping malls and "iconic establishments" in major cities, with the first parks being opened in 2020.

"The club is viewing this as a strategic agreement that will project the Barca brand and awareness of the club around the world," Barcelona said in a statement.

"These spaces will be dedicated exclusively to FC Barcelona, where visitors of different ages will be able to enjoy immersive experiences in this brand new entertainment concept, based on the history, values, players and memorable moments of the club, blending interaction, new technologies, education and fun."

The move is the latest step in Barca's global expansion, which has seen the club already open offices in Hong Kong and New York and discuss plans to launch offices in China and South America.

The club also has an extensive set of football schools in the United States and Canada and will hold their pre-season tour in the U.S. for a second year running, playing friendlies against Tottenham Hotspur, AS Roma and AC Milan.

Last year, Barca's all-time top scorer and talisman Lionel Messi announced plans to open a theme park in Nanjing, China in 2020.

"The agreement with Parques Reunidos will help us to project our image in strategic territories like the United States and Asian countries, offering our supporters a 100 percent Barca experience, and at the same generating a major source of income," said Barca's head of marketing Manel Arroyo.

Source: Reuters

I never post international theme park news however, this is an exemption because Australia is currently 'considered' part of Asia in international football. There is a small but very unlikely chance that one of these FC Barcelona 'theme parks' (which sound more like indoor museums) will open in Australia.

Clearly, FC Barcelona is capitalising on the current trend of converting declining shopping centres into 'indoor theme parks'. If the concept of converting shopping centres into 'indoor theme parks' ends up working (which I doubt as it will just mean more family entertainment centres like Timezone), shopping centres will be the most direct competitor to traditional theme parks. FC Barcelona must think it's going to work as they've made this a long-term strategy.

We've seen this trend already arrive in Australia - the Legoland Discovery Centre in Melbourne being the most high-profile example. The trend is also arriving in the Illawarra region with one of the region's major shopping centres, Wollongong Central, opening a Holey Moley Golf Club soon. I'm unsure if the trend has arrived at the Gold Coast yet.

Nevertheless, the trend is already occurring in Australia so what do you think are the chances of a FC Barcelona 'theme park' opening in a shopping centre or "iconic establishment" of Australia?