What 10 Rides Do You Think Will Permanently Close First?

8 hours ago, aaronm said:

the newer trains make for a reasonable ride

Your legs end up committing suicide during a cycle, and you end up with a crazy headache from the super rough ride. It's condition is clearly pretty bad, much more rough than even HWSW. If it wasn't so rough, it would be a good ride.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, themeparkaddict said:

If it wasn't so rough, it would be a good ride.

I guess I've been on plenty of other (newer) coasters that I find comparably more unpleasant to ride, but with Arkham the roughness adds the fun! It always seems to have a decent line so would be surprised to see the park retire this one in the near future.

• Like 1

From a Sydneysiders perspective, I think most of the HUSS rides that are currently at Luna Park will be gone over the next couple of years. Realistically, the Tumblebug (Troikia) will have to be removed for future expansion, as it sits on prime land and the Spider (Breakdance) is nearing the end of it's service life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

Your legs end up committing suicide during a cycle, and you end up with a crazy headache from the super rough ride. It's condition is clearly pretty bad, much more rough than even HWSW. If it wasn't so rough, it would be a good ride.

Every Vekoma SLC in the world is a rough ride.  The old stock trains built by Vekoma actually had padding around the head specifically because of the rough ride - and most SLCs around the wold still operate with this train design (see pic).  Honestly, if a rough ride hasn't been enough of an issue to close the ride over the last 22 years, it's unlikely that it will be the thing that makes VRTP tear it down.

They might replace it at the 30 year mark in 2025 (which would be within 10 years from now), but it is unlikely to be replaced before then unless there is some significant problem with the track (or maybe the train) that puts it out of action for an extended period.

image_666__370.thumb.jpg.d69d6bc2fbdabbd6e4b87bc723a83eaf.jpg

Also, HWSW is the same age as AA (1995).  It's also a second-hand roller coaster that DW purchased from Luna Park Sydney in 2001. Arrow Dynamics went bankrupt in 2002, but Vekoma is still around building painful coasters all over the world.  (They even built the current awful trains for HWSW).

I would expect both rides to be around for a while longer yet, but there is a good chance that one or both will go before they turn 30.

• Like 1

Arkham Asylum is by far the most immersive themed ride in Australia. Not sure how much it cost to install the VR but I imagine it was quite significant,  and that was only about 2 years ago. 

I agree the ride is physically quite uncomfortable though. Not sure if that can be improved. 

Edited by pushbutton
  • Like 1

I must be biased but I don't find AA painful to ride. Sure, it shakes and shudders but at no stage (at least to me anyway) jolts or jars you the way that HWSW does. The only discomfort I get from AA is the tightness of the restraints after hitting the 1st brake.

When the Car hits the bottom of the loop on HWSW it is one of the most painful moments of any rollercoaster operating today. It also has a couple of turns that are reminiscent of the neck-busting days of the Thunderbolt.

I agree that AA is the next major MW ride to go but would give it at least another 5 years. Another Kumback train should be on the cards if they want to keep it around as long as possible.

HWSW on the other hand is a shit ride and hurts! A ride that can and does inflict pain and minor injuries has no place in any Park and especially not DW. It needs to go yesterday.

1 hour ago, MickeyD said:

HWSW on the other hand is a shit ride and hurts! A ride that can and does inflict pain and minor injuries has no place in any Park and especially not DW. It needs to go yesterday.

You haven’t mentioned how ugly coat hanger coasters are.

Edited by Skeeta

2 hours ago, Wil_i_am_not said:

From a Sydneysiders perspective, I think most of the HUSS rides that are currently at Luna Park will be gone over the next couple of years. Realistically, the Tumblebug (Troikia) will have to be removed for future expansion, as it sits on prime land and the Spider (Breakdance) is nearing the end of it's service life. 

That has already been alluded to by the park and is well within their plans for their major investment over the next 5 years. The HUSS rides going are a near certainty. Moon Ranger has already been listed for sale and is struggling to find a buyer. Flying Saucer is already  ( unfortunately as it was the best HUSS ride there) gone to make way for a new attraction. Each of the 4 Huss rides at LPS came from Expo Park in Brisbane from 1988 but they themselves were secondhand in their placement there, with them dating earlier from around 1982. Its time for them to be renewed and the park has recognised this. Nothing new in this info and has already been confirmed.

15 hours ago, aaronm said:

Not sure why everyone thinks Arkham is on the way out, it’s the only inverted looper this side of Singapore and the newer trains make for a reasonable ride. Only reason I see this one going in the next decade is if MW want the space for another ride.

The only reason I included it on my list was because the question asked for a top 10 list.

These lists we made do not have any timeline attached to them - it could take 20-30 years before we have 10 rides permanently closed on the coast. So the closure of AA could easily fall within this top 10 list. 

2 minutes ago, Life said:

I'm amazed at how many people are including WWF since they just went through a full refit of the control systems... 

My experience riding it several times since it reopened a couple of weeks ago give me the impression it's really not being looked after. Both of the lift hills are making a loud creaking noise, and most of the effects are either not working, or working poorly.

In my experience, these things are usually indicators that the attraction is being wound down and likely to be retired soon.

They are certainly having teething issues with the new control systems (I got stuck on it opening day because the water level was too low), but we already knew this due to the fact the opening was delayed by months.

But, you don't spend millions upgrading a 1994 control system to 2017 spec unless you are planning on running it for another decade at minimum.

Theres nothing physically wrong with arkham though is there? other than it being an old coaster. I reckon they'll run it into the ground, until it reaches a point where it needs another big spend for major components before they think about closing it.

Skeeta. Even if you do see rust, you know rust can be a good thing right? there is rust and then there is RUST. The rust you might see on a lot of structural steel might not be neglect, it simply doesn't need to be addressed. Rust forms a boundary layer on the top of the steel and virtually stops the process by reducing its exposure to oxygen and water. Unless its an area of high corrosion (say a pocket where water can be trapped or its submerged in water), it's ok to leave the surface rusted and monitor it. It's normal to also place rust converter on the surface which leaves the oxide layer behind and stops it rusting, it looks brown and kinda nasty too but it really isn't. It's only when it progresses beyond the boundary layer, or seeps into the space between joints or under flat surfaces that you need to get rid of it quickly. That's when you see nasty bubbles or flaked stuff, that's RUST and you would want to address it when you have the option to (like at a shutdown for instance).

The noise in wild west sounds like anti roll backs clacking to me. Same noise you would hear going up the lift hills on the log ride at dreamworld. Im not sure if they changed designs or something with the shutdown because I don't remember it being that loud before. You can feel it in the boat now when climbing the lifts and I can't imagine you would let an anti roll back get that much wear/play in them for such a long period of time before you replaced them. So thats why I was wondering if maybe its a different designed part of something that was fitted.

Edited by Levithian
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Levithian said:

Skeeta. Even if you do see rust, you know rust can be a good thing right? there is rust and then there is RUST. The rust you might see on a lot of structural steel might not be neglect, it simply doesn't need to be addressed. Rust forms a boundary layer on the top of the steel and virtually stops the process by reducing its exposure to oxygen and water. Unless its an area of high corrosion (say a pocket where water can be trapped or its submerged in water), it's ok to leave the surface rusted and monitor it. It's normal to also place rust converter on the surface which leaves the oxide layer behind and stops it rusting, it looks brown and kinda nasty too but it really isn't. It's only when it progresses beyond the boundary layer, or seeps into the space between joints or under flat surfaces that you need to get rid of it quickly. That's when you see nasty bubbles or flaked stuff, that's RUST and you would want to address it when you have the option to (like at a shutdown for instance).

LOL @LevithianI know rust.  True they may have treated it to stop it from continuing but it shouldn't have rusted that quick in the first place. 

Concerns I have GL will not last the test of time.

1.  The wheel assembly  broke almost sending people to their death.

2.  Deep, deep, deep rust in lower supports. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MickeyD said:

I must be biased but I don't find AA painful to ride. Sure, it shakes and shudders but at no stage (at least to me anyway) jolts or jars you the way that HWSW does.

I personally don't find HWSW painful at all, yes there are a couple of sudden jolts but they're not that big. Maybe it's just that I've got a younger neck, who knows. I still put it in my top 10 as it's the same age as AA. However as people mentioned it's really just the restraints on AA and I seem to get a piercing headache afterward caused by the shaking.

1 hour ago, Skeeta said:

2.  Deep, deep, deep rust in lower supports. 

Shouldn't this be a red flag for inspectors, because isn't corrosion in the ride structure pretty serious? I'm no engineer but how bad would it need to be until something has to be done?

On another side note, Dreamworld's iconic Wipeout is still having teething issues with it's new ride system. Occasionally it will still create the loud creaking noises when turning and it is currently shut for unscheduled maintenance. Wonder why it hasn't fixed itself up yet?

I personally can't think of any particular rides that would possibly close within 10 years. Yes there are a couple which aren't running as well or as popular, but I can't necessarily see them closing. Rides that could have closed have had major refurbishments, so I think the majority of the ones that have been listed are safe for now.

But instead I'm going to provide my realistic thoughts on changes and additions made to our parks within the next 10 years.

Movie World:

HWSD2 is replaced

4D Show continuously replaced

Kids WB area undergoes refurbishment adding an additional ride or two

Superman Escape undergoes queue area and pre-show refurbishment

Green Lantern repainted

DC Rivals receives VR

Sea World:

Castle and 3D Theatre removed

Vikings Revenge replaced

New show on the Lake

New attraction/s attractions on the SV and reclaimed land sites

WnW:

Whirlpool Hot Springs removed

New tower constructed at the back of H2O Zone (Left of the Blackhole)

Surfrider possibly moved to SW

Dreamworld:

Goldrush Country

- I think the Gold Rush country theme is kept, but the area is expanded replacing the Blue Lagoon area

- Reservoir drained and filled, new attraction installed, pathing reworked - bringing new life to the entire area of the park.

Big Red Car ride refurbished or rethemed

Dreamworks area gets new theme

Connection into WWW reworked to make the parks have a smoother connection

Kevin Hill removed, new attraction installed and utilises the Trolls Village area 

New tower at the back of the park (Either maintenance land or replacing The Shell) feature two slides

- On this note, Kevin Hill may become a maintenance/storage shed, so the gravel area becomes fully usable for a WWW expansion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Kevil Hill is the best attraction at Dreamworld as far as I'm concerned, and will be at least until the new flying theatre opens.

But it's only a scare maze which gets utilized a few times a year :(  It was WAY better when it was laser tag.

5 minutes ago, themeparkaddict said:

But it's only a scare maze which gets utilized a few times a year :(  It was WAY better when it was laser tag.

I've been it is as both and much, much prefer it as it is now. Just my opinion, but you can do laser tag in lots of places outside theme parks.

3 minutes ago, joel said:

Been looking at some of the rides people were saying will close. Went into a bit of background of Wild West falls and everything says it was manufactured by Hopkin rides but white water west website claims it as their ride. 

Anyone know?

They were bought out I believe 

31 minutes ago, joel said:

Been looking at some of the rides people were saying will close. Went into a bit of background of Wild West falls and everything says it was manufactured by Hopkin rides but white water west website claims it as their ride. 

Anyone know?

Hopkins sold all of their IP to WhiteWater West in 2012 - who now sells the rides under their own brand.  Hopkins Rides is still a separate company though that designs the rides.

They recently built a new Superflume with similar elements (but a different layout) to WWF at Everland in Seoul (in 2016 I think).  It's called Thunder Falls.

On 23/05/2018 at 7:32 AM, themeparkaddict said:

I still love Arkham asylum, I’ve been riding since it first  Evolution as  lethal weapon. Great coaster might be a little rough never had headache tho

14 hours ago, wikiverse said:

Hopkins sold all of their IP to WhiteWater West in 2012 - who now sells the rides under their own brand.  Hopkins Rides is still a separate company though that designs the rides.

They recently built a new Superflume with similar elements (but a different layout) to WWF at Everland in Seoul (in 2016 I think).  It's called Thunder Falls.

Well, they didn't go overboard with the themeing on that one!