What 10 Rides Do You Think Will Permanently Close First?

On 23/05/2018 at 10:12 AM, wikiverse said:

Vekoma is still around building painful coasters all over the world.  (They even built the current awful trains for HWSW). 

Harsh, have you seen Lech coaster or the proposed hyper that could have been in place of Intamin's Hyperion at Energylandia? They're certainly catching up with modern coaster design.

My money's on Tower of Terror or Wipeout being next to close. On one hand, whilst Tower of terror itself is roughly two thirds into its service life, the launch system didn't have the overhaul the sister ride in Six Flags Magic Mountain did and looking back through the forums and the ride's downtime throughout last year suggests it hasn't aged well. Would it be so bad though to close a ride that visually tears the park in two and continues to make horrendous noise and then open up the Giant Drop to getting a Falcon's Fury style conversion with swinging gondolas?

Then, Wipeout. It's close to the end of its service life. It's a freak-show of engineering. Most of the others around the world have closed because they're so tough to maintain. It's still one of the best flat rides out there though, and i'll be sad the day it closes.

Edited by Roachie
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, AllegroCrab said:

Harsh, have you seen Lech coaster or the proposed hyper that could have been in place of Intamin's Hyperion at Energylandia? They're certainly catching up with modern coaster design.

Could be an interesting ride😀

44 minutes ago, Roachie said:

My money's on Tower of Terror or Wipeout being next to close. On one hand, whilst Tower of terror itself is roughly two thirds into its service life, the launch system didn't have the overhaul the sister ride in Six Flags Magic Mountain did and looking back through the forums and the ride's downtime throughout last year suggests it hasn't aged well. Would it be so bad though to close a ride that visually tears the park in two and continues to make horrendous noise and then open up the Giant Drop to getting a Falcon's Fury style conversion with swinging gondolas?

Then, Wipeout. It's close to the end of its service life. It's a freak-show of engineering. Most of the others around the world have closed because they're so tough to maintain. It's still one of the best flat rides out there though, and i'll be sad the day it closes.

Probably 1 year ago tower of terror had new lsm or lims put on its tracks. However they weren’t replaced with the new style. Probably cheap repurposed ones.

4 hours ago, joel said:

Probably 1 year ago tower of terror had new lsm or lims put on its tracks. However they weren’t replaced with the new style. Probably cheap repurposed ones.

Extremely unlikely that happened given the mechanical part of the launch isn't the main problem but the system that runs it. As mentioned the fact they cheaped out and didn't spend money on full overhaul is why the ride runs like absolute shit compared to its US counterpart. Easier (cheaper) just to wind back the speed and call it a day.

Funnily enough, I'd be more sad to see Sidewinder go than Arkham Asylum. It's a terrible ride, but custom Arrow loopers are a dying breed, while SLCs are found on every inhabited continent on Earth.

I think Arkham Asylum is far less likely to go soon, though, since it is still popular. Would definitely free up some good space. I'd love to see a wooden coaster go there, but another multi-inversion steel coaster is far more likely. Maybe one of those awesome looking new Vekomas?

As for Tower of Terror - Dreamworld wouldn't be the same without it, frankly. It's still arguably the park's most visually impressive ride, and its height and speed gives the park some bragging rights (it doesn't have much to brag about, that's for sure). I definitely think a refurb from Intamin is more likely than it being removed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alex_1 said:

As for Tower of Terror - Dreamworld wouldn't be the same without it, frankly. It's still arguably the park's most visually impressive ride, and its height and speed gives the park some bragging rights

Visually impressive? In all honesty i'm with @Roachie on this one. Its a giant white corrugated steel monstrosity that slices the park in two. There is so much about that ride that i hate in that park, and it is getting on in years.

It also no longer reaches the heights, or the speeds it was once famous for. It held the record, SFMM beat it, and it is no longer relevant.

Its shitty capacity, and because of the resdesigns of the queue line it is a ridiculous set up and takes up way too much space.

Wipe the deck. Convert the tower as referenced above to new style drop gondolas, and then re-connect the back end of the park to the front, and do something special with it.

• Like 1

Although the name "Tower of Terror" doesn't offend me personally, I'm very surprised Dreamworld are content to still have that word associated with the park in any way. 

Whilst I actually do find the ride a bit of a thrill, I completely agree with previous comments that the noise is horrendous, and it tears the park in half physically. 

It's got to go! 

50 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

Although the name "Tower of Terror" doesn't offend me personally, I'm very surprised Dreamworld are content to still have that word associated with the park in any way.

You should be complaining about kEVIL hill too.

and let's be real - they've kept the name because repainting the lettering on the tower is too much effort.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump the thread but here's a few I can definitely think of:

1. The Luna Park HUSS flats (they've already been confirmed to go by park management, it's a matter of when, they are 30+ years old now)

2. Inferno, why that ride has not gone yet considering its heavy problems is beyond my mind.

Also add Tower of Terror when it doesn't get out of the tunnel to that list. That noisy POS needs to get the boot.

I mean I hate Arkham Asylum more than most people on this board, it is just as rough as all the other SLC's and is even worse with VR, and makes old Cyclone look glass smooth by comparison, but I don't see it closing until the mid 2020's at least, most people seem to like it and the VR is quite popular.

Now for Wipeout. I don't expect it to go until 2020 at the very earliest. Dreamworld has ordered plenty of new parts to keep it going for just a couple more years. I'll be pretty sad when it goes, Wipeout is one of the few rides at Dreamworld I actually genuinely enjoy.

Hot Wheels won't be going anywhere until Dreamworld have fully turned themselves around because that ride will be a complete pain in the ass to remove.

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

56 minutes ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

I mean I hate Arkham Asylum more than most people on this board, it is just as rough as all the other SLC's and is even worse with VR, and makes old Cyclone look glass smooth by comparison, but I don't see it closing until the mid 2020's at least, most people seem to like it and the VR is quite popular.

Have you ridden Arkham Asylum with the new restraints? It's actually comfortable now. I'm not sure when the change was implemented, but it would have to be something quite recent. They are lap bars now.

Edited by Flynn_Smith

2 hours ago, Flynn_Smith said:

Have you ridden Arkham Asylum with the new restraints? It's actually comfortable now. I'm not sure when the change was implemented, but it would have to be something quite recent. They are lap bars now.

Yes, I have experienced Arkham with both types of restraints. The new restraints are painful on legs and pass on the roughness onto your lower half. My legs were beat up hard by those restraints.