Topgolf Menu released

http://topgolf.com.au/Assets/Topgolf Gold Coast Menu.pdf

For anyone who wants to click straight thru...

Alcohol - There's 7 pages of alcohol, which i'm sure will please many (although a page for wine and four pages of cocktails pads it out a bit) - but the starting prices are the major focus for me. $7 for a bottle and $8 for a schooner is the high side of normal, but for an upper market place with an upper market clientele it appears reasonable. They'll certainly make some money out of this... jugs for $18 or a 4xBucket of bottles for $24 brings it down into affordable territory.

I will say I stayed down on the gold coast a few weeks back, and one block from Cavill, the hotel bar served a bucket of coronas for $20 - so the comparison for here - $30 is 50% more...

Disappointed they don't price their spirits though. I will say there's a lot of top shelf specialty stuff on the board that i don't see them going through very often unless it is incorporated into seasonal cocktails.

For my personal tastes - having 5 different tequilas, and none of them Jose is disappointing - especially when his mates Jim, Jack and Johnny all made it on the menu (also disappointed that they pull in 3 different jims, and two johnnies, but ignore the Gentleman in the group).

Onto the food...

Seasonal Selections

the baked bean skillet at $12 strikes me as a good value item (but hey, its basic so they should get it right), based on the picture. The steak sandwich at $19 (and no picture) leaves me wondering just how generous it might be for the price. The smashed avo should draw in the hipsters and young market renters that will never afford a home, but the lamb, at $20 is probably the one most boggling for me - pico de gallo (mexican for disgusting soapy crap) can fuck right off, and that leaves roast lamb and chips with gravy for $20 which is a bit underwhelming.

Apps & Shareables

Crispy shrimp cocktail at $20 for 4 wrapped prawns can fuck right off. Staple cheesy fries at $10 will be a shareplate winner, but the extra $3 charge for bacon was a bit disappointing. Warm pretzel bits at $12 - one would be expecting a significant number to share, but will probably work out to be about 4-6 bites for that price - hardly shareable - although i'm happy to be wrong about that.

The rest of this section i'll skim - 5 different types of wings - all $12 for a serve - considering you see many places do '50c wing nights' i'll be hoping for a generous serving - but the additional multibuy of '3 for $25' excluding one variety is certainly a lot more bang for your buck. Chips and dip, pita and dip, nachos, and then quesadillas or mushi to round it out - nothing strikes me as particularly expensive or good value, but overall a nice selection.

Flatbreads Fancy Pizzas

Margherita, chicken, pepperoni, steak, and 'ultimate breakfast' - a typical range at a reasonable price to share.

Sliders and Salads

Not sure how the chicken and waffles will go over in the australian market but keen to try it. Pulled pork sliders are fairly typical. Nice to see some decent salads there including a cobb salad - although the wanky spinach and goat cheese can go fuck a frog. Typical prices i'd expect for most, although at $16 i find the sliders to be a bit pricey.

Sandwiches

All $12, served with fries or tots (sub a salad for an extra $1) looks to be good value all round, with choices of brisket grilled cheese, turkey avo wrap, grilled or fried chicken - the only concern i have is that its a fairly limited option, with no vegetarian choices.

Snacks

Fries or tots for $5 (which shows the price of the sandwich) and seasonal fruit or a side salad for $6 as some good options if you stop there after visiting a park, but before you go out to dinner somewhere else.

Burgers

The staple of a big menu, with a breakfast, veggie, BLT style and a classic burger (with upgrade options) between $12 and $19, although i feel like the glorified 'bacon and egg' burger to be a bit pricey in comparison.

Kids Menu

Jr Cheeseburger, grilled cheese, tenders or mini hot dogs all for $8 - with a mixed value between them - some of them are certainly better value than others, with a 'ham pinwheel' a fun snack for kids, whilst being relatively healthy is only $5.

Beverages

What's that you say? another page for drinks? well - half a page of unleaded options, the usual coke fountain options, a few different waters, mother and red bull energy drinks, and juices, coffees, and what i'd suggest are canned or bottled drinks much the same variety as the fountain (except with the addition of dr pepper) rounds out the choices - not a single thing (except the larger sized coffees) is over $5, so the teetotaller will be suitably impressed. I'm interested to see whether there is some sort of drink cross promotion with the parks - as it'd be a great upsell to offer park sipper refills for a little bit more. (And the larger sized coffees are only $6).

Dessert - all $9

Doughnut fries - tried these at dreamworld and they weren't bad - based on the image shown, it seems you get a decent serving of them, with choice of dips (or all three for a bit more) so i'd say decent value. In addition, $1 from each serving goes to 'the gold coast community fund' so thats a plus.

Stuffed skillet cookie - this one was mentioned on the first page of the menu, so it's notoriety gives it a lot to live up to. Im betting similar to the hershey cookie thing at pizza hut, with the addition of sauces and ice cream, and if its the same size as the baked bean skillet, then it seems like value for something a little decadent.

Ice cream sundae is the last one up - which is just ice cream, sauce and nuts. Nothing special for me to pay $9 about, but i'll assume a generous serving for the price.

Another page of cocktails

Except these ones are special. because they're for brunch... although they don't appear to have a time description, there's a lot on the menu to suggest these guys wanna be opening early - although i doubt that's the case... oh and they have juice too.

Breakfast and Brunch

Ok so here they say this stuff is available from open until noon on weekdays and open until 2pm on weekends.

Chicken and waffles make a return, french toast (which has been the banner pic on their menu page for a while now), 'healthy' sandwich, texas brisket hash, baked beans are back too, or the 'ultimate breakfast flatbread' Pizza which comes with more mexican soapy shit. Add fruit, bacon or house fried potatoes on the side, all at reasonable prices except the soapy breakfast pizza, which at $18 seems to be the same thing on the Pizza menu.

The final page rounds out with promos for events bookings and gift cards.

TL:DR

All up - the menu has been something we've been waiting to see. All round, i'll give it a solid 8/10 for choice and variety - i can see something there to suit most people, and they offer veggie and gluten options to settle the current trends intolerances amongst us, plenty of booze (which let's face it - thats what its really about) plus comparably cheap drinks for the teetotallers and designated drivers (ba dum tss), and all this makes it a viable 'after park' stop for a meal before retiring for the night, or moving on to more exciting nightlife opportunities. Couple this with an hour's time on the tee and you're dropping a small wad, but it all does seem to give you value.

My tip

Play first, have a few drinks, and order your food towards the end of your timeslot, unless you're playing for several hours. Eat away from your tee once you've finished to maximise your golfing time, although there is plenty of 'finger food' and 'grazing options' for groups who want something light to eat whilst they play to reduce the impact of their drinks.

Edited by AlexB

I love the menu. It's exactly what I'd expect to see in an American Top Golf and honestly that's what I want here, not some 'Australian (read shit ass) version of Top Golf.'

Pricing seems about spot on for this style of entertainment venue, country, location.

As for alcohol and spirit selection, there is certainly a distributor contract in place here from looking at those brands so that's why you do and don't see certain offerings. There will only be something outside what that distributor offers exclusively if they don't make an alternative (ie like JD Fire vs Fireball) or it's a cocktail standard.

The let down is probably the wine offering, all of those are to put it mildly, shit wines. I'm surprised there isn't at least one or two offerings of something decent. That The Riddle stuff is the same crap they are pouring for free at the Outback Show next door, so I think they could do a little better here.

$150 for a bottle of Moet is about right... even though it's an awful Champagne.

18 hours ago, djrappa said:

As for alcohol and spirit selection, there is certainly a distributor contract in place here from looking at those brands so that's why you do and don't see certain offerings.

As usual you're pretty spot on - and one can forgive the absence of Jose - but given they've got Jack, ignoring the Gentleman is a little disappointing when they offer several top shelf Jims, which would all be available through the same distributor...

44 minutes ago, AlexB said:

As usual you're pretty spot on - and one can forgive the absence of Jose - but given they've got Jack, ignoring the Gentleman is a little disappointing when they offer several top shelf Jims, which would all be available through the same distributor...

Gentleman are to classy for Topgolf because TG is going to be filled with hacks.