China Trip Reports - June/July 2018

Santa07

Part 2 comes from Discoveryland… or Discovery Kingdom… or Kingdoms of Discovery - I saw all three names in and around the one park (RCDB goes by Discoveryland so let’s stick with that).

I didn’t know much about this park. It was reasonably close to where I was staying for the majority of my time in China and me and a couple of friends decided to check it out one day. Came in with a pretty fresh mind and not very high expectations.

To start with, it’s a very Chinese park - i.e. very weird compared to our Western standards. It’s hard to really explain what makes it weird, you need to experience a Chinese park yourself to understand. It's actually quite a pretty park - a big lake in the centre, and some areas were really well-themed (although some were also a little bare).

image.thumb.png.9156858c2d6ab5aff83adf9c5f4e6294.png

The medieval section of the park was the best-themed in my opinion, even though it looked like it came from a video game. We started in that section, and picked an attraction that had “4D” on the sign. We were expecting some sort of 4D dark ride, but ended up in a haunted house walk-through. More laughter than screams because of the horribly fake-looking theming, although the Chinese locals seemed a little terrified.

Next up we saw a ride called “Thunder Chariot”. We walked in having no clue what it was, and ended up on a Zamperla Thunderbolt coaster! Actually a really good ride! Was also nice to know it was a pretty reputable manufacturer (this was after checking the ride on RCDB) so we were in safe hands.

Pros

• Great drop
  • Reasonably forceful
  • Fun inversions (the zero-G roll was the highlight of the ride for me)
  • Very smooth (unlike the other coasters at the park - I believe this one only opened a few months ago so if it wasn’t smooth I’d be a little concerned)

Cons

• Operations: they had 3 cars on the track, but were only using one at once (i.e. they would load, cycle, and unload a single cars before moving to the next one). Didn’t make much sense to me since they had the staff available to be running all three at once. (warning: operations will be a common complaint)

Rating - 8/10

image.thumb.png.910eb5c3df2d6c5f5a86a4f0f3f275f7.pngimage.thumb.png.69096d04397ffce53686213277e8be53.png

Rides that followed after that were a 4D show in Chinese (the seat movements and effects were more painful than fun though, especially since they didn’t align with the video very well), a pirate ship, and a Zamperla Discovery (seems like the park had a pretty good relationship with Zamperla as there were a lot of their rides around). No need to properly review these because the pirate ship and frisbee were pretty standard rides.

image.thumb.png.5414bd4e6b1443184baa5a3ecc610195.png

We then saw a stunt show, which was surprisingly quite good. Clearly the Russian stunt actors were ready to pull more risks than any stunt actor in an Australian show. Would rate this show an 8/10.

We then took on a shot/drop tower. The shot was mediocre… pretty forceless… but the drop caught me off-guard and was really forceful. 7/10 for that ride.

image.thumb.png.e5b4e191ee01dd8fc7d68fe4b12ac706.png

I made the mistake of deciding to do what I would say is the literal representation of a “spin-and-spew”. It’s hard to explain the ride properly, basically just a series of incredibly slow multi-axis rotations which had me upside down for the majority of the ride. Not a pleasant experience. 1/10.

After dodgem cars and carosuel, I was regretfully talked into another spin-and-spew, this one being a Zamperla energy storm. Not nearly as bad as the other spin-and-spew, but still nothing I would want to repeat ever again. 2/10.

image.thumb.png.46632404e6892206927ccf97e8df071e.png

Up next was a rapids ride. A few second-thoughts for this one seeing when I was there the Dreamworld inquest had only just occurred a week or so ago, but overall wasn’t a bad rapids ride. Operations were very slow, with only a couple of rafts going at a time. 5/10.

image.thumb.png.d4251121edbfa9262f4e5936366c5f38.png

The next ride we did was Dizzy Love and Whirling Passion - definitely the coaster with the strangest name I’ve ever been on. This was your typical Chinese knockoff SLC that you find at a lot of theme parks around the country. A knockoff SLC has always been on my bucketlist of things to do, and now that I’ve checked one off I don’t plan on riding another anytime soon…

image.thumb.png.2507e4c702f7f16a3bd7fe248d9912b1.png

If this coaster had better trains, smoother track profiling, and a lot less of a rattle, it would probably be a 9/10 coaster for me (as would be the case with any normal SLC as well). However, this is for sure the roughest coaster I have ever done.

The ride experience starts with a gentle climb up the lift-hill (utterly terrifying though as I knew what was about to come). Then comes the drop, which actually isn’t too rough (nothing worse than your typical Vekoma SLC drop). But as soon as you reach the bottom of the drop, the ride’s rattle becomes close to unbearable, and stays this way through most of the ride. You rattle your way through the loop, and into what I think was meant to be an airtime hill. I don’t remember if I actually got any airtime going over this hill, but I do remember the pain I was in at this point on the ride. The next element, an immelmann, actually started okay, but the exit from the element was profiled horribly - very jarring. After a turn that really could’ve used some more banking was the most painful part of the ride - the double inline twist. The inline twist on Arkham is bad enough, but the profiling on this one (it’s worse than the immelmann’s profiling) felt like a heartline roll a newbie would make in Planet Coaster. At this point, the ride had lost most of its momentum, and it crawled through the last part of the ride (a helix and a short stretch of track into the brakes). Fortunately the low speed meant this part of the ride wasn’t actually too rough.

Pros

• The concept is good (the execution however results in nothing but pain)
  • Makes Arkham feel like a B&M in comparison

Cons

• Slow operations (again)
  • Harnesses are bulky, unconfortable, painful, and overcomplicated - think your traditional Vekoma SLC harnesses plus a few extra seatbelts that go over your torso and waist before you pull down the harness
  • The ride loses almost all its momentum and speed very quickly, so you literally crawl through the last half of the ride (could be seen as a good thing though because it makes it more comfortable)
  • Incredibly painful

Overall rating: 1/10

The last new ride of the day was Flying Dragon, a Chinese knockoff of a Maurer spinner. This one’s pretty easy to explain. Think of Scooby Doo’s coaster section, however with the maintenance lights on (if you’ve done the Star Tour or seen TPR’s Scooby POV you’d understand). Then replace the cars with spinning cars, and give the track a rattle. This ride does have some major problems though (see below).

Pros

• Less painful than the knockoff SLC (not a lot less though)

Cons

• Theming was bizarre - medieval theming at first, then futuristic theming, then no theming once you get on the ride
  • I don’t even know if the harness was secure - it moved a lot during the ride. The seat belt felt like the only thing holding me in
  • There’s a fairly major rattle
  • This was my big problem with the ride - every set of brakes would abruptly stop you. Not only did this kill the ride’s pacing, but it also was so abrupt that it was very painful, especially when you stopped facing sideways. This one major issue turned the ride from an average spinning coaster to a bottom-3 coaster for me

Overall rating: 1/10

image.thumb.png.82faff00ef61128d2a9dbda3bb439042.png

The rest of the day was spent on the park’s only operating coaster that was enjoyable to ride. There was actually a fourth coaster at the park, but it’s been SBNO for a while now (did see it cycling during the day though so maybe they’re trying to reopen it?).

So, an overall review of this park… I definitely did enjoy the park a lot more than I think I would. The park was actually quite nice, it just didn’t have a whole lot of good rides. The GC parks are still a lot better than this one (even in the current state some of them are in) but it was still a fun day. Would I come back? I certainly wouldn't plan a trip around it, but if I was in the area I'd definitely consider it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 31/07/2018 at 7:46 AM, themagician said:

Awesome trip report, and great to get an insight into this park because it’s definitely one I want to visit.

In regards to Peter Pan, how did it compare to the one in Paris? I have heard a lot of great things about the one in Shanghai and that it is the best version of the ride

I didn't get to do the version in Paris when I was there, so have nothing to compare it to. I think I would've enjoyed this ride a lot more if it weren't for the technical difficulties. Also probably would've enjoyed it more if I hadn't just done Pirates a couple of hours earlier :P 

• Like 2