Calls for Dreamworld to change their name

joel

It's all over the News this morning however spurred on by a GC Bulletin article that is opinion loaded as per always. There is actually no new News that has not all ready been reported here.

A name change is an obvious Marketing strategy of a re-branding masterplan but like @joz said, a whole lot more is needed than just a new Name.

Speaking of chageing the name, Can we please change the title? @AlexB will see this and have a melt down.

Edited by MickeyD

If the name were to be changed, that should only be done AFTER a massive investment program is already well underway, and a decent number of exciting new rides are under construction with at least one of them open. 

Otherwise people who go to the "new" park would just see more of the same and be very disappointed. 

Personally, I doubt the name will be changed anyway, and other than the flying theatre, I don't think there are any plans for new rides. 

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Are you being sarcastic

Yeah he was 

@pushbutton that is a good point. I suppose if they were under new management, and invested in a whole new land for the park, then maybe a name change would have a purpose. But I still can’t see it happening. 

• Like 1

Yesterday's articles reported Ardent writing Dreamworld down another $75 million - that puts us seriously close (if not already) to the park being virtually worthless beyond the value of the land it sits on. Until the corporate culture, the leadership and the vision that exists for Dreamworld changes (the one that's still prevalent in the park today, that's existed for twenty years and is solely to blame for the incident and Dreamworld being led to this point), nothing will actually change for the better and empty gestures like a name change will be seen as an obvious ruse.

Edited by Roachie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Roachie said:

Yesterday's articles reported Ardent writing Dreamworld down another $75 million - that puts us seriously close (if not already) to the park being virtually worthless beyond the value of the land it sits on. 

I would like to really know how far away they are from being bankrupt. to loose 75 million, that's almost all the profit.

2 minutes ago, joel said:

I would like to really know how far away they are from being bankrupt. to loose 75 million, that's almost all the profit.

They didn’t lose 75 million, they just downgraded the value of the park. The worst thing about that and the falling share price is their ability to raise more funds for an expansion or new rides.

5 minutes ago, joel said:

its 75 million that they have lost and don't have though.

The value of the park, if they went to sell it now compared to a year ago has dropped ~75 million. 

Kind of like you buy a house for $500,000, then a sewerage treatment plant gets built next door. You try to sell, but can now only get $250,000 for it.

Though in this case it is the culture and perception of the park that stinks, not what's over the fence.

• Like 3

Basically the value is completely in the land, not the theme park itself. The theme park for most people looking to buy would just be an obsticle in building a development that is not a theme park. However the article says something about housing or developments not working well because of flooding or along the lines of that.

Thats NOW. not before.

Before its an ongoing viable business that far exceeded the value of the land. You only have to drive 100m into foxwell rd to debunk the flooding bs. For starters, dreamworld is surrounded by development now. Coomera waters is built around a tidal esturary and stocklands dropped coomera rivers right on top of a creek that drains into the wetlands at pimpama. With the town center going in literally across the road from the land dreamworld borders, the place would have a display home built and offering walks throughs before they even finished dismantling the rides if they opened it up to housing.

They'd even name some of the streets after places in the park, you know, just for nostalgia's sake.

It's worth keeping in mind that this is no longer the Ardent Leisure that was but rather a long play by Gary Weiss to fix and flip what was a troubled business and that it's exactly what he's known for doing in the first place.

If I was Weiss and I had sunk a lot of cash into Ardent then my obvious aim is to maximise my return, and in his case, you don't get to be a multi-millionaire without being ruthless and cunning. That means maintaining a low profile and letting the news cycle wash over your investment, that means being reactive and not proactive with the way things play out and ultimately that means being frugal with expenditure on making the individual parts of the company looking as attractive as possible to potential buyers to maximise the return.

I think that there's plenty of people who sit in the "well it happened to Wonderland so it can happen here" camp that get ahead of themselves - the council's never going to let such a crucial part of the economy be bought up and then approve land rezoning for Dreamworld to become residential. The only way that'll ever happen is through Weiss - if he figures he can't make a return on his investment (read: no one wants to buy it in the next 18-24 months) he Ardent will tell investors it won't ever recover and then if the market actually buys that crap then the council will be backed into a no-win corner.

• Like 3

• Richard changed the title to Calls for Dreamworld to change their name