Renaming Dreamworld would be a token and ultimately ineffective fix for the theme park's woes

Parkz News

2 hours ago, webslave said:

I only disagree with:

I firmly believe that if you have young children, Dreamworld is your best choice of a park to visit in terms of ride selection.

I'll absolutely concede (and did in the article) that the sheer breadth of rides and hip IP in one place aimed at young children is unmatched. Quality and presentation is another matter, though hardly relevant to a four year old so long as they're on something that spins or hugging a character they recognise.

When looked at through the prism of a two-park (DW/WWW) versus three/four-park (MW, SW, WNW + PC) annual pass I do firmly believe the offering for every age bracket doesn't stack up in quantity nor quality and at the end of the day, but of course there's a lot to be said for for the geographical/all-in-one convenience of Dreamworld.

The main question is whether there's a sound business model for a theme park of the size of Dreamworld to only be pretty good with young kids' attractions. I think there's a misnomer that these are family attractions; in my view they appeal to young families and little else, and there's a reason you don't see Disney or other operators relying heavily on them... because they're not money spinners in the same way that true "3 to 93" family attractions are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I'll absolutely concede (and did in the article) that the sheer breadth of rides and hip IP in one place aimed at young children is unmatched. Quality and presentation is another matter, though hardly relevant to a four year old so long as they're on something that spins or hugging a character they recognise.

When looked at through the prism of a two-park (DW/WWW) versus three/four-park (MW, SW, WNW + PC) annual pass I do firmly believe the offering for every age bracket doesn't stack up in quantity nor quality and at the end of the day, but of course there's a lot to be said for for the geographical/all-in-one convenience of Dreamworld.

The main question is whether there's a sound business model for a theme park of the size of Dreamworld to only be pretty good with young kids' attractions. I think there's a misnomer that these are family attractions; in my view they appeal to young families and little else, and there's a reason you don't see Disney or other operators relying heavily on them... because they're not money spinners in the same way that true "3 to 93" family attractions are.

MW & SW do I'm too old for the baby rides but not ready for Scooby yet badly, which is the 4-5-6 -7 year old range of guest.  To add to that when a 6 to 8 -year-old if ready for Scooby it’s another big jump to GL or SM.

Considering once I was 15 I was to cool to go to DW with my parents who had the cash flow you are looking at 30% of children overlooked by Village.

Plus if you want to compare what is tied and rundown that would be Kids WB Fun Zone not Dreamworks. 

Edited by Skeeta

I'd argue that Sea World caters for ~4-8 very well between Nickelodeon Land, Castaway Bay/Reef and the animal exhibits/shows. Of course then there's many other shortcomings there. And their IP isn't as, ahem, "hip".

I'd also argue that $10 million spent at Movie World shoring up the 4-8 gap would be the best money they could spent. Had Doomsday been a few good family flat rides instead of one lacklustre thrill ride, this almost wouldn't be a discussion we'd be having.

This is the inherent flaw in the annual pass model and why it's perhaps been so easy for Dreamworld to coast: they're never in danger of competing with themselves. Sea World focusing on younger kids and Movie World on teens has left both parks lacking. Even though "95 rides and attractions" is a solid selling point for annual passes, it doesn't translate as an experience for anyone other than tourists visiting all within a short period of time.

It also highlights the dearth of family rides at all our parks. There's so little on offer anywhere that appeals to everyone.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

It also highlights the dearth of family rides at all our parks. There's so little on offer anywhere that appeals to everyone.

That is a true statement.

The problem I have is I'm at MW having a blast and my daughter wants to go home but If I took my daughter to SW besides getting to enjoy a flat beer I wouldn't last that long before I packed up the bags and left.

MW & SW using each other to fill the cap for their own short comings is the problem.  SW would be a better park if it competed with MW and vice versa.  Give me a reason to go to MW and give me a reason to go to SW.   Not this nice hogwash of this year you can have carnival.

I think it’s idiotic of Village to think for me and my daughter to both have a good time in the same day we must sit half an hour in traffic and travel between parks.  No! we should both enjoy ourselves at MW and we should both have a great day at SW.

My super problem is Village have 2 theme parks but treat them like one.  Back in the days we had 3 parks on the coast.  Now we have one theme park plus something that once represented a theme park called DW.

I understand Village cross sharing certain resources is a good way to save money but cross sharing attractions is shit.

Edited by Skeeta
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...