Quick Dreamworld Photo Update - 3rd August, 2018

Slick

1 hour ago, MickeyD said:

.@themagician you should get back to DW as soon as you can - same goes for everyone else on here! A lot has changed/improved with the likes of SV  most definitely worth an annual pass purchase alone.

I definitely want to, but I’m just waiting for it to be really worth while. Once SV opened and heard the response I was very tempted, but with the announcement of the coaster I thought to wait a bit more until that’s well under way 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MickeyD said:

@AlexB have you actually been there recently? I hope so because it is pretty hard to judge the place on other people's pictures alone.

Indeed I have - i mentioned this on the forums last week when we were discussing how recently the Log Ride signage had been removed, and I mentioned i'd been in the park on the 23rd of Feb - the day before I went with @Jdude95 to the Brisbane Magistrates Court to live report the inquest findings. Keep up @MickeyD!

Ok - Magician points out a lot of good things that have happened in the parks, but given he bumped an 18 month old thread to do so, I figured he was directly referencing the things that @Slick had mentioned. Many of the eyesores remain.

Before:

On 03/08/2018 at 4:23 PM, Slick said:

IMG_2947.thumb.jpg.c50e0915fcb95a5fd26a72a7b0f803be.jpgIMG_2999.thumb.jpg.4b4d2f1feafa5d6d01a5521df7e7a622.jpg

After (taken February 2020)

image.thumb.png.de2627f4ffb1bb9083705f43afdbdd6d.pngimage.png.d68157aaa04561dc1c0f92f49f04a3e4.png

Unfortunately, I'm not really one for photo trip reports. I also don't see the point in taking photos of things that haven't changed. So I can't really refute each and everyone of @Slick's photos that were taken more than 18 months ago. But I DO visit regularly since getting a pass again at Christmas. Probably 5-6 times since December?

SO rather than quote each pic, here's a breakdown of Slick's post 18 months on in dot-point form:

• Main entrance facade - looks like fucking garbage. Its a great first impression.
  • White facadeland is gone, mainly because the ride is open. no great surprises there.
  • Now that the sky voyager facade is complete, and the goldrush signage removed, we instead have a tight pinch point where a ride exit feeds onto a narrow street that is also intended as a thoroughfare to another ride, which is barely open, so why bother, right?
  • The next 4 pics were of cinema\skyvoyager construction, rather than a particular fault or issue.
  • Charging station, featuring now closed attractions that don't belong. There are STILL a literal fuck-tonne of references and promo and marketing pictures around the park (the kodak shop wall, the height measure up sticks around the park, various walls - including the jingeri\welcome gate beside the main entrance as shown in the pics above
  • Next up, Hollywood House. I guess, since they bulldozed it last week, we can technically say this has been 'resolved' - but only just, and it took 18 months to 'resolve' it
  • Then we have the 'half removed walkways' over rocky hollow. they remain 'half removed' on my last visit.
  • Giant Drop still has 'rustic theming' disintegrating in the elements.
  • Posts from abandoned walkways (see half removed walkways above) remain.
  • Crappy, poorly maintained kopper log retaining walls littered with conduits, and covered in dead leaves that haven't been cleaned up in milennia - yep, still there.
  • Fencing with 'green leafy facade' vinyl hung on it to hide the back of house BB studios area - still there.
  • Unkempt and hazardous tree matter surrounding the train shed - still there.
  • Ooooh! there's something that has changed - the fencing surrounding the TRRR site. Previously, it had a nice, well constructed, completely un-see-through red metal fence! Now it has temporary, see-through, covered slightly with printed marketing wrap but still totally see-through-able material, so now you can see the weeds, dirt, random piles of junk and garbage left to sit where they fell. I never thought i'd say bring back the red fence!
  • Then we're onto super duper silver lining stuff like Claw reopened looking good, trolls area open and looking good
On 03/08/2018 at 4:23 PM, Slick said:

I'm sorry, but practically every single issue raised by Slick in his original post is still as yet unresolved, and looks exactly the same.

Have they taken mad steps to fix other stuff? Of course. Is it great that MovieWorld's most passionate leader is now employed by Dreamworld and is kicking goals left right and fucking centre?

15 hours ago, MickeyD said:

the best decision Ardent ever made for DW is a relatively recent one - that was taking the skill & passion kicked to the curb by MW.

Fucking Hell yes!

But to bump THIS PARTICULAR thread, and say SO MUCH of what was pointed out 18 months ago has been resolved, when almost NONE of it has - is bullshit.

21 hours ago, themagician said:

most of these things have been resolved

Kudos to Dreamworld for:

• WWW park wide refurb (inside and out) "for the most part"

• Facade repaints on Main Street "which they started recently"

• Giant Drop exterior refurb and additional path to cut out the stairs and ramp "even though there was already a path there that they could use"

• Refresh of the path between Tiger Island and ABC Kids "because the prior plain brick tunnel gives you such 'getting mugged' vibes that this is something they probably should have done way back when the tunnel was first constructed, and let's be honest, they painted a fucking tiger on the wall - they didn't exactly refresh the entire path'

• Refurb of path between Rocky Hollow and Corroboree 'i'm not sure exactly when the rainbow serpent was installed, but i'm not sure it was before or after this thread started. I'll give you this one though, on the off chance the rainbow serpent actually went in in the last 18 months. '

I am excited for what is to come for Dreamworld, and its clear that they're taking on some large refresh projects to spruce the park up, but unfortunately the bright coat of paint only serves to be a HARSHER contrast with the derelict and rotting remains in other areas.

As a first impression, the main entrance building needs a total refurbishment. strip the crappy years of conduit out, hide the air con units better. get rid of the moving head light-and-dome combos that you never use. bring that building back to A1 condition.

This park was built to be Australia's Disneyland - so let's just walk through the park and think about sight lines. back of house areas. things that ruin the magic. How can we fix some of these? The failed ampitheatre, and the failed adventure river are both eyesores. do something to improve the visual. the trip around behind blue lagoon on the train is pointless except for the grade the train requires to climb the hill. even a nice forest planting in this area, tidied up, with a spiel of the native trees, or animals, or hell - built a diorama. i don't care. do something with it so it doesn't constantly take you for a trip of 'what used to be, the ride'.

i've had enough ranting. maybe i'll come back later for some more.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Coronavirus will die out sooner than later anyway, just like other influenzas in the past.

I'm not worried about Coronavirus but DW profits have been up shit creek without a paddle for a long time now.   Coronavirus has now put a hole in DW's boat and it's a long way to shore.   

4 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

And how is MERS impacting the tourism industry, it isn’t because it’s not covered by the media so no one gives a shit.

That's not what you said.  

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Coronavirus will die out sooner than later anyway

If you wanted to say it will die out in the media, you should have said it.

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Coronavirus will die out in the media sooner than later anyway,

As good as I am I can't read your mind but I am working on it.

Sorry. I didn't realise that the speed at which a virus goes away is directly proportionate to the amount of media attention it gets.

You said Coronavirus will die out sooner rather than later, like other influenzas in the past.

First of all, I'll assume you're actually referring to COVID-19 (the current coronavirus outbreak) which is a strain of the coronavirus family, rather than all coronaviruses in the coronaviridae family.

Secondly, It isn't Influenza.

MERS, SARS, COVID-19 are all strains of coronavirus.

"Coronavirus" was first identified in the 1960s, so we've had it for more than 50 years in one form or another. Some strains are more lethal, and some more communicable than others.... just like the flu.

So when you say Coronavirus will die out, like all the other flus, you've got a lot muddled up there.

And when I say MERS is still around 8 years later, it's pretty relevant to your statement that COVID-19 will die off pretty quick, isn't it?

And yes, your last statement is very telling. Nobody gives a shit about MERS, because human-to-human transmission wasn't believed to be possible, and because worldwide the total infections amounted to about 2500 cases, most of which were limited to the middle east (hence the name). Nobody gives a shit about a virus unless they could catch it. Like when AIDS was only thought to affect homosexual men, so heterosexuals didn't practice safe sex.

You tell someone a virus is going to be at their front door, they give a shit... (a lot apparently, judging by the amount of toilet paper they're buying).

The point is, your confidence that coronavirus will die quickly is flat out wrong, experts are predicting that the worst of it's effects will arrive in Australia in around August - and that doesn't mean its over in september. Its a long road ahead, a possible vaccine is still potentially 9-12 months away, and this thing is clearly spreading like wildfire.

So, whilst i'm not trying to be alarmist, its foolish to be a dreamer and claim 'it'll be over quickly' or 'you won't die' or 'our theme parks are your theme parks'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

And how is MERS impacting the tourism industry, it isn’t because it’s not covered by the media so no one gives a shit.

You wouldn’t have the likes of Italy or China locking itself down or NSW closing certain schools or Japan closing major parks because of “the media”.

We don’t yet have a means of vaccinating against it, nor treating it, and in older age groups it has a much higher death rates.

Rightly or wrongly, people are going to defer visits to places this year, and that will slow recovery, and it means this years additions won’t have the same impact.

• Like 2