2019 International Coaster Announcments

Tim Dasco

I'm kinda concerned for Steel Curtain. Going with S&S as a manufacturer was a very unexpected move. The layout and supports are wacky as hell, never seen anything like it, and I'd be very interested to ride it, but I don't expect it'll be that nice to ride. It just doesn't have the quality of layout design and element shaping that we're used to seeing these days (at least based on that nolimits video they showed for the reveal). I'll be pleasantly surprised by S&S if they get it open on schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

Copperhead Strike looks like a great coaster. I've seen some complaints about the speed of the ride, but these Mack multi-launches aren't meant to be the most intense rides out there, and it certainly looks like the hang time on some of those inversions will be great.

This is... an interesting choice of coaster for MM.  Clearly not what they really needed (as it's just a mashup of Full Throttle and TC), but I guess they did want to get to 20 coasters :P . It still looks like a fun ride, but I'm really not liking the OTSRs Premier are chucking on most of their coasters these days.

Rest of the SF announcements are here:

In typical SF fashion, the video is so corny it's difficult to watch. Some highlights:

- A lot of giant discoveries
- SFGA is getting a really cool coaster, S&S has done well
- SFDK continues to get a lot of love - a free spin looks like a great fit for this park
- SFA is getting their standup converted to a floorless... eh, it's an improvement
- Please stop the superloops

• Like 2

On 15/08/2018 at 6:05 PM, AllegroCrab said:

I'm kinda concerned for Steel Curtain. Going with S&S as a manufacturer was a very unexpected move. The layout and supports are wacky as hell, never seen anything like it, and I'd be very interested to ride it, but I don't expect it'll be that nice to ride. It just doesn't have the quality of layout design and element shaping that we're used to seeing these days (at least based on that nolimits video they showed for the reveal). I'll be pleasantly surprised by S&S if they get it open on schedule.

S&S purchased Vekoma back in March.  Steel Curtain looks like a hybrid of both companies designs and technologies.

I don't think that combination promises a 'nice' ride, though it might explain the quality of layout design and element shaping.

On 15/08/2018 at 6:05 PM, AllegroCrab said:

I reckon it'll be good. It was designed by ride centerline group, who also do the RMCs.

• Like 1

https://m.onenewspage.com/video/20180830/10713638/Six-Flags-Great-America-announces-new-coaster-Maxx.htm

This is something I'm happy to see. I'm bagging on S&S a few posts ago but this looks much better from them. Hopefully the issues I have with Steel Curtain are from the quality of the nolimits recreation they've got of it and don't reflect the real thing.

Respectfully, I reckon the wierd ass shaping makes coasters better.

See: Every RMC ever.

At least they are trying something different with the first drop, seems like a 21st century version of how the first drop was on the defunct Drachen Fire at BGW.

I think the only real complaint I have is the supports are ugly, but meh, its a good conventional multi looper.