DC Rivals Hypercoaster Climb

themagician

https://movieworld.com.au/attractions/dc-rivals-hypercoaster/climb

From the FAQ

The Lift Climb experience takes approximately one and a half hours. This includes your briefing, safety demonstrations and climb route, plus morning tea at the completion of the climb.

Our staff will capture a photo for you during your climb that you’ll receive at the conclusion of the experience.

• Like 1

I did cedar points version of this a couple of years back - it was awesome. They gave you a couple of rides on MF and Maverick as well and a couple of fast lane vouchers to use later in the day. The B&M dive machines have a fair bit of room to walk around once you are up there though. Standing at the top of DC rivals by comparison sounds terrifying lol,

On 12/09/2018 at 1:57 AM, AllegroCrab said:

Make it a tour behind the operation of the coaster with a knowledgeable guide, as well as a climb, and it's well worth $99.

On 12/09/2018 at 9:42 AM, themagician said:

I definitely think the price would be worth while if there was a bind the scenes element included with the experience. The website doesn't say whether or not a behind the scenes is included, so we will have to wait and see. 

On 12/09/2018 at 10:00 AM, Slick said:

Now if the walk went...over some basic behind the scenes stuff then it might have some great value but who honestly knows - without any information on the Movie World website (certainly nothing on the experiences page) beyond a little blurb at purchase it's anyone's guess.

The FAQ's does refer to a commentary being done. Whether it contains commentary about DC Rivals HyperCoaster is anyone's guess so far:

What language will the commentary be in?

All commentary will be given in English.

On 10/09/2018 at 9:41 PM, Jordan M. said:

First bookings are for the 23rd and dates are available into October for Saturday mornings so far.

I noticed they've changed it to every morning between the 23rd September to the 14th October and the attraction's webpage refers to it operating on "selected days" so if it was initially only Saturday mornings all-year round, maybe they have changed their mind due to the reaction to the price and made it only during peak periods, where they assume, due to the larger attendance/interest, demand will increase? 

However, they have, as a result, increased supply. This is evident as they went from 48 available climbs (that is, per person) to 168 available climbs with 6 (13%) & 7 (4%) sold respectively. 6 of these (for both amounts of supply) were for the opening day climb, which is just over 3 days away. If they changed the days of operation due to the lack of demand, increasing supply certainly isn't a good solution to the pricing problem particularly as pricing hasn't changed. The main problem is that there is low 'value for money' - not that there is less than expected demand for a DC Rivals HyperCoaster climb regardless of how good it is. Their misdiagnosis of the problem is why the demand hasn't increased despite any higher interest/attendance.

As already mentioned, adding 'behind the scenes' opportunities is a good way to increase it's 'value for money'. It has been proven to work with the Star Tour - Access All Areas experience (with it's Arkham Asylum - Shock Therapy lift hill climb & MW 'behind the scenes' tour). A DC Rivals HyperCoaster version could be worth it even if it is heaps shorter in duration. Any 'behind the scenes' opportunities should include a focus on the safety aspects of the HyperCoaster which would be a good way to promote the safety of theme parks during the post-Thunder River Rapids incident era particularly as the HyperCoaster is one of the Gold Coast's most intense rides. If the commentary mentioned above includes commentary about DC Rivals HyperCoaster, they should promote it more. The fact you get a photo during the climb isn't promoted well either. The photo could be of you on the HyperCoaster lift hill in front of MW's iconic rides - Superman Escape, Batwing Spaceshot, Arkham Asylum - Shock Therapy & Wild West Falls

Other ways to increase 'value for money' could be to add a meet & greet of DC Comics characters, get the opportunity to ride DC Rivals HyperCoaster forwards or backwards once each when the ride is ready to open & a free ride-on photo and video of you on the ride.

Due to the lack of demand as a result of the low 'value for money', the fact they mentioned it will operate on "selected days" & have already adjusted the days of operation once already may indicate that they may, in the future, reduce it's operation to just Saturday-mornings only during peak periods so demand roughly meets supply. However, given the current trend is to increase supply, who knows? They also mentioned on the attraction's webpage that "More climbs may be added", which, in the Climb's current form, I highly doubt as they are struggling to get demand with the amount of climbs originally offered. Then again, they've already added more climbs once already...

Personally, the price doesn't bother me - mainly because I like theme parks & rarely visit the Gold Coast so the next time I visit, if it's on offer, I may consider it. A photo atop DC Rivals HyperCoaster with possibly MW in the background might be a great memento. I do understand why many people think it's low 'value for money' though.

Edited by Jamberoo Fan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, themagician said:

Just looked at the availability, Sunday has 2 spots left, Monday has 6 and the rest have 8. It’s proving to be very popular 😒

By the sounds of it, not even theme park nerds are that keen.

The climb's simply not playing to its strengths, hence the poor numbers. If you told me it was a "Rivals Behind The Scenes Tour" that included a walk to the top, now that's playing to your strengths. But a walk to see the carpark and the highway? Hard pass.

Edited by Slick
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

MW could simply add some extra value into the $99. Here's how to make it already have more value:

• Include a Backward pass that can be used when the park is open. (I'm surprised this isn't already included).
  • Include a video of your backward experience and free digital ride photos for the day at the park.

Neither of these things actually cost MW anything.  The ride regularly cycles without backward riders, and they are already capturing photos and videos.

If they really wanted to give a bit more value, they could also include one or more of the following:

• Cross-promotion between parks with a free game at Top Golf (which is one of the few things you actually get a view of from the top of the coaster)
  • A DC Rivals Soft Drink sipper-cup.

To be honest, a backward pass with video, and free photos for the day would sell me in.  A drink cup would in addition would make me think it is excellent value.

Giving me a free game at TopGolf would get me over there (I currently have zero interest in it), and I'd probably buy drinks and food there too - possibly even more games if I enjoyed it.

This is the kind of thing I would also be likely to buy someone as a gift, especially with a TopGolf game thrown in, and so they would get at least two sales - one for me and one as a gift - so we could share the experience together.

Edited by wikiverse
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

How does that work if the climb is after the park closes and doesn't include entry.

People aren't booking the experience after the park closes on the day they plan to do the experience.  They're booking it online - in advance - probably for the same day they plan to attend the park.  Plus, most locals have VIP passes and get park entry included anyway.

Moving the time to after closing allows them to up-sell the experience to people already at the park, in which case people who want photos and a backwards ride, will pay $99 for those things AND a coaster climb to secure their place on the climb earlier in the day.

I doubt many people are enthusiastic enough about a roller coaster to want to climb the lift hill, but not enthusiastic enough to want to spend a day at the park riding that same roller coaster.

As it currently stands, you do not get park entry for the day. So extras like backwards passes and Fast Video are redundant. 

I mean with the change of the time of day the climb takes place, most would probably be bought in park if they started properly advertising it to their day guests. Which means they have already paid for entry to the park anyway. 

You would end up needing to have 3 different prices/packages.

-One just for the climb by itself. For those that do not wish to have entry to the park at all.(Which is the price as it is now)

-One for people that require entry to the park as well as the climb. This one could also include extras that you have mentioned. E.g Backwards ride, fast video, sipper cup, bla bla bla bla bla. 

-And one for guests with annual passes or pre-purchased tickets that wish to have the same extras (such as the backwards ride and fast video, whatever) but do not need the entry.

Edited by JaggedJanine
  • Like 1