Tower of Terror ongoing/indefinite closure (Dreamworld)

Is TOT shut for good, the amount of time they have pushed back the maintenance by a couple days only to do it for months is ridiculous. I honestly feel like DW are ripping off customers by knowing it isn't going to reopen but making it seem like it will reopen within a week. The ride has been shut for a good couple of months now..

35 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Is TOT shut for good, the amount of time they have pushed back the maintenance by a couple days only to do it for months is ridiculous. I honestly feel like DW are ripping off customers by knowing it isn't going to reopen but making it seem like it will reopen within a week. The ride has been shut for a good couple of months now..

I'd feel like DW are ripping customers off by being happy for them to ride it in the state it's been the last several years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

It's only been closed since mid June due to the amount of problems it was having. It did reopen for a couple of days in early July, however closed again and is set to reopen in 3 days from now. That's not even 3 months so far, whereas Buzzsaw has faced closure since end of March (that's 5.5 months), wouldn't you rather complain about that?

I have noticed that they have finally posted that the RIP is closed. This attraction has been closed since July and is now set to reopen at the end of October, however the closure has only been posted on the website since yesterday. It's interesting the amount of extended maintenance they are doing on their attractions. Hydrocoaster, Buzzsaw, TOT, Hot Wheels and the RIP have been closed for very long periods.

PS Why has this been made a new topic? TOT is literally scheduled to open in 3 days...

Edited by themeparkaddict
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, themeparkaddict said:

I have noticed that they have finally posted that the RIP is closed. This attraction has been closed since July and is now set to reopen at the end of October, however the closure has only been posted on the website since yesterday. 

What????? I went on the RIP 2 weeks ago???? But they have the staircase closed to the Rip and you enter the RIP from the BRO and tripple vortex stairs.

• Richard changed the title to Tower of Terror ongoing/indefinite closure (Dreamworld)
6 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

I have noticed that they have finally posted that the RIP is closed. This attraction has been closed since July and is now set to reopen at the end of October, however the closure has only been posted on the website since yesterday.

️ I went on the RIP like 3 days ago 🙄🙄 however I think you may mean the hydro coaster though has been closed for a long while???

On the issue of Tower Of Terror I believe in its first 5* years of operation and before it even opened it had massive issues?

44 minutes ago, joel said:

️ I went on the RIP like 3 days ago 🙄🙄 however I think you may mean the hydro coaster though has been closed for a long while???

On the issue of Tower Of Terror I believe in its first 5* years of operation and before it even opened it had massive issues?

Yeah, RIP was shut for August at least.

And everyone knows it's always had a history of problems, just restating stuff.

It’s such a good ride though and would be missed a lot by the general public. But I mean if they have to spend this much time on maintenance just for it to have problems all the time than maybe they need to get rid of it. @Roachie do you know if they would still offer this overhaul 

I definitely agree TOT needs to go, it's a pretty crappy ride these days, especially when compared to its cousin at Six Flags, but Dreamworld need to build a major coaster to directly replace it. I don't think Dreamworld are ready to get rid of the ride at this stage and I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it for a few more years while planning for a major thrill ride as a replacement attraction. When you discount Wipeout, TOT is easily the next ride at Dreamworld to get the axe. Ridership is low, the ride is basically falling apart, and the thing gives an unbearable deafening screech when you stand less than 50 metres from it. (maybe they can get S&S to build a new track to replace the original and make the launch system air launch, but I'd much rather open up the space entirely)

54 minutes ago, Roachie said:

Getting rid of Tower of Terror would open up the Giant Drop to an overhaul with a new gondola.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen an Intamin tower be converted to a new gondola yet, or them offering that conversion. I haven't seen Falcon's Fury in person but wouldn't the tower widths and structures be so different it wouldn't allow a conversion, and if Dreamworld were to do that, they'd have to implode the Dreamworld Tower and replace it with another structure?

Edited by XxMrYoshixX

11 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

Are you joking, it's the most popular ride at Dreamworld and always has a queue

Not when I went there earlier this year in peak season, I got on in 15 minutes and the line was about as long as Hot Wheels. Giant Drop had longer queues that day. Before then TRRR and RHLR used to get longer queues.

19 minutes ago, themeparkaddict said:

The cost of running and maintaining TOT alone is the reason why DW is suffering financial problems. The experience is not worth the cost of maintaining it and all of it's test runs.

I honestly think during these "maintenance" periods, they do nothing with the ride for a large amount of the time it's down.

51 minutes ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

I honestly think during these "maintenance" periods, they do nothing with the ride for a large amount of the time it's down.

Myth: "the ride sits there for months on end with nothing being done to it"

Reality:

• Many 'coaster style' rides have the ride vehicle removed, and taken to a maintenance workshop for maintenance. This would explain the lack of visual activity, whilst still being more than 'nothing'
  • Extended downtime is usually an indication of an unexpected delay or issue - for example, a fault found during routine testing that was not anticipated requires further investigation or rectification. It can also be because a specific part needs to be replaced that wasn't anticipated, and has to be manufactured \ ordered from overseas.
  • Some maintenance work is carried out outside of hours, due to workloads, or the impact such works would have on guests during the day - such as noise, or dust, or the need for large plant and machinery to move around the park's guest access areas
3 hours ago, pushbutton said:

Or take the opportunity to get rid of the whole horrific contraption, and the horrendous noise it makes constantly. Free up the space for something that's not only new, but also could be great fun! 

But GD hardly makes any discernible noise if you aren't close by. Roachie said remove TOT, and use the tower for GD upgrades, which would still free up the space without getting rid of the tower.

2 hours ago, XxMrYoshixX said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen an Intamin tower be converted to a new gondola yet, or them offering that conversion. I haven't seen Falcon's Fury in person but wouldn't the tower widths and structures be so different it wouldn't allow a conversion, and if Dreamworld were to do that, they'd have to implode the Dreamworld Tower and replace it with another structure?

I couldn't say whether it has or hasn't. Fact is that the tower was built by intamin, so in theory they could supply suitably modified upgrades to suit. In theory the rolling stock could remain, and just a new seating arrangement could be attached with minimal modifications.

• Like 3

I'd keep the tower, run a launched coaster at it along the TOT right of way. Up into a loop (or banked turn) that took it over the railway as and run it around in the old water storage/mine ride area.

You'd probably have to run it up to where the station is now to turn around though. But the new station could be closer to the tower with a modern launch system, moving the noise away from the Tigers.

My 2 cents.

• Like 1

@AlexB is on the money - i've written elsewhere that a SkySwing overhaul would be perfect to give new life to the tower. With the removal of Tower of Terror's station, they could go to work on expanding both Tiger Island & ABC Kids World into more immersive themed areas.

@XxMrYoshixX logic tells me Intamin would probably conduct a few engineering calculations before commencing a major structural modification. :P

On 12/09/2018 at 12:14 PM, themeparkaddict said:

The cost of running and maintaining TOT alone is the reason why DW is suffering financial problems. The experience is not worth the cost of maintaining it and all of it's test runs.

That's not the case.

Update: Tower of Terror's opening date has been pushed back from the 13th September to the 20th September.

Edited by Slick

12 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

it's the most popular ride at Dreamworld and always has a queue

Tower along with all the other coasters are Dreamworld have queues due to their stupidly low capacity. Building a low capacity ride and getting long queues doesn't mean it is popular it just means it is horrible at handling crowds.

• Like 4