China's Fake Disneyland

bbwfw

No I would have no interest in visiting a tacky Disney knock-off where you pay twice.

Interesting reading though! I'm surprised Disney's legal team let them get away with using some of the characters. They probably take the view that they're such poor imitations it's not worth bothering about! 

Edited by pushbutton

Actually, there's this thing about China where they really don't care about international copyright law.

This doesn't cover it exactly, but was literally the first thing on google for those who aren't lazy...

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/02/china-copyrights-and-fair-use.html

The thing is, while they have laws about infringing on copyright and trademark, its not really the highest priority of the communist chinese government to assist foreign, capitalist organisations from prosecuting the chinese citizens.

I'm sure Disney thought about and quickly rejected going after the knock off due to the sheet futility of the process.

Of course, with parks in Hong Kong SAR and Shanghai, The dragon may be opening up to Disney, and may very well be a little more amenable to IP protection of a 'close partner'.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2018 at 6:34 AM, AlexB said:

Actually, there's this thing about China where they really don't care about international copyright law.

This doesn't cover it exactly, but was literally the first thing on google for those who aren't lazy...

https://www.chinalawblog.com/2017/02/china-copyrights-and-fair-use.html

The thing is, while they have laws about infringing on copyright and trademark, its not really the highest priority of the communist chinese government to assist foreign, capitalist organisations from prosecuting the chinese citizens.

I'm sure Disney thought about and quickly rejected going after the knock off due to the sheet futility of the process.

Of course, with parks in Hong Kong SAR and Shanghai, The dragon may be opening up to Disney, and may very well be a little more amenable to IP protection of a 'close partner'.

Good point there, also thanks for sharing the article :)

I don't have a burning desire to visit such a park, but still have some curiosity about it. Sort of a 'how bad can it be?' curiosity (if it's actually bad at all), but yes, it's fascinating in a way. Actually this reminds me of Nara Dreamland, the Japanese loose equivalent - which however had a more subtle backstory. Defuctland made a great video narrating this (maybe this was shared here already):