Gold Rush to get aviation theme at Dreamworld?

themeparkaddict

Slightly deviating from the TOT query, but if TOT were to be scrapped GD could quite easily be rethemed to an ATC Tower for the Airport Theme replacing Gold Rush if that area was expanded slightly.  (Although I think the airport theme is disgusting, the tower retheme would show some theming effort from DW)

But let's be real its DW - I don't expect much from them in any way of theming these days.

29 minutes ago, ejpdtd said:

Slightly deviating from the TOT query, but if TOT were to be scrapped GD could quite easily be rethemed to an ATC Tower for the Airport Theme replacing Gold Rush if that area was expanded slightly.  (Although I think the airport theme is disgusting, the tower retheme would show some theming effort from DW)

But let's be real its DW - I don't expect much from them in any way of theming these days.

That just wouldn't make sense though. Giant Drop is too far away from the I-Ride to be themed similarly to it. 

And how do we know they aren't going for a futuristic theme to replace the now demolished Gold Rush area?

59 minutes ago, Flynn_Smith said:

That just wouldn't make sense though. Giant Drop is too far away from the I-Ride to be themed similarly to it. 

And how do we know they aren't going for a futuristic theme to replace the now demolished Gold Rush area?

The suggestion isn't that far-fetched though. if the land between i-ride and GD was suitably themed with a few flats, and outlets, you could tie the whole area in - the i-ride being the terminal and GD being the control tower for the runway. You could easily pave a path from one to the other painted like a giant runway with other attractions and outlets spaced around it like hangars.

See this post for more:

If you proceed with ToT removal (see other thread) GD would also connect well to the new theme, with plenty of space for outlets, and several flats which could be accomplished at minimal cost.

And is it really that far away? Both Soarin' and Grizzly River Run in DCA are part of "Grizzly Peak" land.

Here's a comparison. (I realise the google scale isn't PRECISELY the same, but its as close as I could get - so imagine the DCA paths are even longer than shown in the comparison) - i've taken the lines from attraction entrance to attraction entrance - DCA from SOarin's front gate to Grizzly, and in DW from the front of the cinema to the front of the GD queuehouse. The red lines indicate walking paths to get there.

image.thumb.png.ec88c29d1d89555bfe5fa591d4e677ec.png

Isn't the Giant Drop considered to be in the rocky hollow area of the park anyway? So I doubt they'd re-theme and incorporate it into whatever is replacing gold rush in the future? I personally liked the balance that gold rush gave the park in juxtaposition to ocean parade, so i hope they don't stray too far from the theme. I think an aviation/airport theme would be so out of place, even with the i-Ride. 

5 hours ago, themeparkaddict said:

I have been told by a ride op (not that they are always reliable) that Gold Rush is being re-themed to an airport/flying theme to match the i-Ride theme, and Buzzsaw will be renamed.

Iiiiiiiifffff so, the supposed dark ride going in there after i-Ride, would be what? 

I definitly don’t think they should make that whole area themed around the airport. They should just keep this one attraction as airport style, it’s on Main Street, no issue. But then if they expand it to BuzzSaw, then that affects the theme possibilities for any other future attractions. I think they should stick to the Gold Rush/Rocky Hollow theme because it won’t affect continuity as much and connects to the log ride and GD, and then they can save money from changing BuzzSaw

22 minutes ago, pushbutton said:

The grammar in that post is extremely odd!

I really need to proof read.. I just don’t understand if you’re going to go to retheme, why an airport. Okay it will interest the small amount of people who love airports and travelling but the rest (families) are going to think it’s nothing to care too much about because why would the kids want to go to an airport. Just really confused especially considering the whole buzzsaw is going to be rethemed to fit the theme? That’s going to be very intresting aswell.. two completely different themes. One modern, one old. However if it is because of the IRide, surely they can keep that as it’s own standalone precinct 

• Like 2

Vintage cars...

I'll assume Stingray when it was a roulette wheel was moved...?

What else has been moved to meet the definition 'many' (i'm asking - i'm not as up on my Dreamworld History)

I guess, Tailspin could be moved for the sake of consistent theming, but following my previous point about wasteful spending, I can't see the park doing that currently.

You need something to occupy its current location - you don't rip it out unless you need something else to go there (case in point - vintage cars).

Besides - although Dreamworld may have relocated some rides previously - they've shown that consistently themed areas isn't high on their agenda - motorsport spread between MDMC and Redline\Hot Wheels\Brock, Zombies in Ocean Parade, ToT in every land they have...

10 hours ago, Gold Coast Amusement Force said:

why an airport. Okay it will interest the small amount of people who love airports and travelling but the rest (families) are going to think it’s nothing to care too much about because why would the kids want to go to an airport. Just really confused especially considering the whole buzzsaw is going to be rethemed to fit the theme?

Aviation is more than a small interest group. The tie-ins are vast.

For starters, many of the people visiting the park will have been on a plane to get there. Aviation themes work in other parks - and Soarin is just one example of that. Although in Grizzly Peak, the area around Soarin is loaded with airport markings on the ground, shops made to look like hangars - and to be honest its a cheap and easy way to build a 'shed' and make it fit in.

If the 'airports and travelling' concept wouldn't interest most people, then Tailspin should be a walk-on. So should Soarin, and so should i-ride when it opens. But it won't be - because only a "small amount of people" really care too much about theming, and the majority of park visitors just want to ride rides.

Buzzsaw as mentioned could be 'red baron'. These planes still fly at airshows and joy flights and the like - and the theme means very little about the ride needs to change - perhaps change the train colours. The building can be easily rethemed to an old aircraft hangar, and the sawblades easily changed to propellers.

As for what other rides, there's a plethora of rides out there themed to aviation related topics. The following list isn't necessarily advocating that the park get these rides (some are quite old), but just an example that there's plenty out there that has proven successful:

• Kid's ride - a "red baron" ride - see 'Dick Dastardly's Flying Circus' at Wonderland
  • Paratrooper ride (i think Dreamworld used to have one of these)
  • Parachute Jump ride (think Green Army men Parachute Drop at Disney)
  • A B&M Flyer could find a home here too
  • Centrifugal motion sim (think Mission Space) - there used to be one in Parramatta Intencity
  • Think 'peter pan's flight' as a dark ride opportunity (themed differently), suitable for the whole family

Theming is easy too. You could construct a wide body jet, with first class or business class seats as a dining experience.

And remember - modern jet aircraft have Turbines - it's like the theme was made for Dreamworld!

Plus - you could partner up with Qantas, or Virgin, and have items from their history of aviation as a walkthrough to fill additional space until you're ready to build the next big attraction (like Brock)

Check out Aviodrome theme park in the netherlands for some of what they do too.

• Like 4

They also relocated the Red Baron kiddy ride which originally sat where Gravitron went and Zumar chair swing from where Trolls Village is today.

Tail Spin would be a much bigger job though, given the extent of landscape and themeing around the area, even for DW standards.

Personally I think it's a great idea to re-theme the whole Gold Rush area to Aviation.

- BUT it is an IDEA -

For those on here that can be bothered searching topics, this whole Aviation thing was 1st dreamed up as a suggestion by one of you when that Terrible i-ride Artwork was released. Fast forward a couple of weeks to today and someone else has evidently stolen the idea declaring that they 'heard a Staff member say the new area would be Aviation themed..'

hmmm...

• Like 1